Sugar???

Options
I'm finding it hard not going over my sugar, I had sweet potato last night and omg the sugar was so high I could of had a cream cake for that amount, tips on keeping it low please xx

Replies

• tpotey
    tpotey Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'm in the same situation
  • maro_p
    maro_p Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Agreed. Started a thread about it yesterday but still not sure what is a recommended intake of sugar if MFP's is not correct.
  • hannahsearle
    Options
    But this is good sugar!!! The sugar found naturally in fruits and vegetables doesn't cause the spike in blood sugar that processed foods cause because they're surrounded by fibre the body has to get to first! Fruits, veges and dairy shouldn't be avoided because of their natural sugar content, as the nutrients they give you are important, just remember you can have too much of a good thing! Avoiding processed foods with sugar is the best way to keep sugar down.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason, don't worry a whole lot about sugar. The benefits of the fruits and veggies are worth it. Just be sure you are eating whole fruits and not juice.

I personally don't look at my sugar micro number at all. I watch macros and fiber. That's all.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Just don't track your sugar and stick to fruits & veg, honey etc (anything natural) for sugar, avoiding processed sugars, which, for some reason, myfitnesspal doesn't take into account the difference! They affect the body very differently X
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I focus far more on getting enough protein and not going over on total carbs (which crowd out the protein!!)
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    But this is good sugar!!! The sugar found naturally in fruits and vegetables doesn't cause the spike in blood sugar that processed foods cause because they're surrounded by fibre the body has to get to first! Fruits, veges and dairy shouldn't be avoided because of their natural sugar content, as the nutrients they give you are important, just remember you can have too much of a good thing! Avoiding processed foods with sugar is the best way to keep sugar down.

There's no difference between added sugar and fruit sugar, molecularly they are identical.

As long as your carbs and calories are in line with your goals, then sugar doesn't matter.
  • sundropc14
    sundropc14 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    yup as long as its not processed sugar and comes from your fruits and veggies. Dont worry about it!!
  • Bex2Bslim
    Bex2Bslim Posts: 1,092
    Options
    I ignore sugar from fruit and veg, and manually add up other sugars. I put nothing but 5 portions of F&V into a blank day once and it was over, proof that you should ignore the total, how can that be bad!!!
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Good sugar or not, your body doesn't care. If you have too much sugar in one meal without adequate fiber, protein, and fats, then it is going to spike your blood sugar and you are going to have a heavy insulin payload for most of the day. But the only thing that makes potatoes and fruits "good sugars" is that these toxic sugars come with a LOAD of vitamins. But sugar is still sugar and if you over do it, it's going to cause your body to freak out.

I have a problem with sugar too admittedly. But a good rule of thumb on a 1200 diet is having less than 10g of sugar in a meal and only two meals a day (have a meal without sugar but high in healthy omega 3/6 fats instead). If a full sweet potato gives you 20g or more, sounds like you're only eating half of a potato today. Some nutrition is better than none.

EDIT: Sugar also triggers my ADHD symptoms so I have to be EXTRA careful to eat a balanced meal so I don't have symptoms.
  • zoeluiisa
    Options
    I don't remotely care about the sugar in things like carrots, sweet potatoes, bananas etc. Whether it's right or wrong I don't know, but I just feel that the body knows how to deal with a natural whole food and it's when sugar is added as an extra ingredient that it causes problems.
  • mdbs2004
    Options
    I dont watch sugar. If you eat a couple pieces of fruit your over on sugar.
  • ahamm002
    ahamm002 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    It's added sugar that you have to worry about, not the sugar that comes naturally in sweet potatoes and fruit.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Stop tracking it. Stress is gone. And as others have said, the fiber and vitamins you get from fruits and veggies is a good thing. Don't let the sugar in them stop you from getting an adequate intake of nutrients.
  • Looking4ward
    Looking4ward Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read about limiting sugar specifies "ADDED SUGAR" as the BAD sugar.

Maybe this article can help you:

http://www.rodale.com/recommended-sugar-intake

If you are pre-diabetic or diabetic or hypoglycemic talk to your doctor and/or dietitian/nutritionist.
  • jozzler
    Options
    I don't bother about natural sugars. It's added sugar that i'm intersted in. I could eat no crap sugar all day and stil be over on my sugar. If i eat my 5 a day i'm over my sugar limit. I don't take any notice of it anymore.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    ADDED SUGAR is especially bad for you because it comes from refining or processing/mutating foods to allow a sweetener to be extracted. Corn starch as an example, they literally extract the starch from the corn so it can be used to sweeten foods unnaturally! Sugar the same with sugar beets and sugar canes. Things that naturally have sugar in it are slightly better for your body, but the body still doesn't like sugar. The only reason we eat fruit is for the nutrition, that's why fruit is considered a "dessert".
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Everything I've read about limiting sugar specifies "ADDED SUGAR" as the BAD sugar.

Maybe this article can help you:

http://www.rodale.com/recommended-sugar-intake

If you are pre-diabetic or diabetic or hypoglycemic talk to your doctor and/or dietitian/nutritionist.

Peeked at your article and it DOES say to track sugars but if you constantly go over, then you need to exercise to burn off the excess. It goes on to say that if you are going to go over in sugar, at least have the sugar come from a source that is healthy for you like bananas (loaded in potassium and other great vitamins) than a brownie (nutrition = 0 for common brownie).
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    If you are not diabetic then don't bother tracking it. Sugar is a carb and you already track carbs
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    I don't keep sugar in my macros on my desktop version, but it shows up on my mobile versions (and I can't figure out how to change it). I'm over EVERY. SINGLE. DAY. However, I'm still losing weight and I don't have high blood sugar, so I don't really worry about it. Plus I'm not really willing to give up my daily piece of chocolate.