Sugar???

Options

Replies

• cominupmilhouse
    cominupmilhouse Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Everyone on MFP always says not to worry about 'natural' sugars coming from fruits and vegetables. This may not be so!!! I believed it because that really makes sense, but then I read the book "Wheat Belly" and it explained it in a different way. Fruits and vegetables (and wheat, for that matter) are natural foods that are grown from the earth, BUT they are not the same wholesome foods grown hundreds of years ago. Scientists have genetically modified almost everything to yield bigger crops that taste sweeter to match the growing population and competition. While f*ckin around with the plants genetic make-up they don't bother to test it for the nutritional properties that have been changed, and apparently wheat could possibly be responsible for all sorts of epidemics and diseases, including diabetes and obesity, as a result.

It says in the book that mangoes and pineapples are amongst the worst foods for causing insulin spikes. This upset me because they are my two favorite fruits in the world! Makes sense though, I guess I just loved all that sugar
  • DrJeep
    DrJeep Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I dont watch sugar. If you eat a couple pieces of fruit your over on sugar.

This, I am horribly in love with mangoes and nectarines etc. If I eat one of each I am over my sugar count.
    I cut out all other "added" sugars out of my life, fresh veggies, tea without sugar, no sodas anymore.

Sugars from fruit I can live with.
  • rollieorial
    rollieorial Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    try going cold turkey...what happens with processed sugar intake (not fruits) is it spikes blood glucose and insulin production spikes to remove excess blood glucose. when this is done, there will be a corresponding rapid drop in blood glucose which will leave you feeling hungry and crave for more sugar or starch. While this happens and insulin production is on going, the fat storage mechanism is enhanced.

just a suggestion. good luck!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    I'm finding it hard not going over my sugar, I had sweet potato last night and omg the sugar was so high I could of had a cream cake for that amount, tips on keeping it low please xx

Do you have diabetes? If the answer is yes, you already should know to keep it down. If the answer is no, you don't need to worry about it in the first place. Keep your carbs in check, stay in calorie limits and enjoy some sweet stuff.
  • Brunner26_2
    Options
    ADDED SUGAR is especially bad for you because it comes from refining or processing/mutating foods to allow a sweetener to be extracted. Corn starch as an example, they literally extract the starch from the corn so it can be used to sweeten foods unnaturally! Sugar the same with sugar beets and sugar canes. Things that naturally have sugar in it are slightly better for your body, but the body still doesn't like sugar. The only reason we eat fruit is for the nutrition, that's why fruit is considered a "dessert".

Corn starch isn't sweet.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Everyone on MFP always says not to worry about 'natural' sugars coming from fruits and vegetables. This may not be so!!! I believed it because that really makes sense, but then I read the book "Wheat Belly" and it explained it in a different way. Fruits and vegetables (and wheat, for that matter) are natural foods that are grown from the earth, BUT they are not the same wholesome foods grown hundreds of years ago. Scientists have genetically modified almost everything to yield bigger crops that taste sweeter to match the growing population and competition. While f*ckin around with the plants genetic make-up they don't bother to test it for the nutritional properties that have been changed, and apparently wheat could possibly be responsible for all sorts of epidemics and diseases, including diabetes and obesity, as a result.

It says in the book that mangoes and pineapples are amongst the worst foods for causing insulin spikes. This upset me because they are my two favorite fruits in the world! Makes sense though, I guess I just loved all that sugar

Don't believe the hype!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    ADDED SUGAR is especially bad for you because it comes from refining or processing/mutating foods to allow a sweetener to be extracted. Corn starch as an example, they literally extract the starch from the corn so it can be used to sweeten foods unnaturally! Sugar the same with sugar beets and sugar canes. Things that naturally have sugar in it are slightly better for your body, but the body still doesn't like sugar. The only reason we eat fruit is for the nutrition, that's why fruit is considered a "dessert".

Corn starch isn't sweet.

True. It's used to thicken things - like cream pie. (mmm....pie) I use it once in a while in my cooking for gravies and sauces too.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options

Corn starch isn't sweet.

Not sweet to taste but all starch is made out of is several sugar molecules. Therefore, corn starch is sugar but not in the nutrition label sense. But the molecules break off the starch and become sugar; therefore, starch is sugar and should be treated the same.
  • Lolly_W
    Lolly_W Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sure, fruits are great for a variety of reasons, but there is no denying that some of them have a lot of sugar. Consistently going over in your sugar intake could have bad effects. Personally, I thought "oh, these are GOOD sugars" when I was eating a few servings of fruit a day (watermelon, apples, mango), but I was stuck on a weight loss plateau that lasted for weeks. When I started tracking my sugars in earnest, I got right off that plateau.

I am now limiting my sugar-y fruits to very small portions, and go for blueberries and strawberries, fractions of bananas, sweet potatoes, etc. The kitchen scale has really become my best friend with sugar-y fruits and veggies - you can still have them, but weigh them out and enter that info into MFP.

Of course, it is better than added sugar with the dietary fiber and vitamins/minerals, but to just ignore sugar tracking (whether you are diabetic or not) seems short-sighted.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Corn starch isn't sweet.

Not sweet to taste but all starch is made out of is several sugar molecules. Therefore, corn starch is sugar but not in the nutrition label sense. But the molecules break off the starch and become sugar; therefore, starch is sugar and should be treated the same.

This is also true. But the original comment quoted said that it was used as a sweetener. That isn't true. It's a thickening agent, not a sweetener. But yes, once we consume it, it's rather like potatoes or rice because it is a starch.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    The truth about sugar and fat:

fat_vs_carbs_infographic.jpg

(STARCHES INCLUDED]
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    LOLZ
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

{GRAPHIC}

(STARCHES INCLUDED]

The graphic you posted is actually not true. If you are eating in a calorie deficit, the body will NOT store fat. Our bodies need starches just as they need fiber. Lest we forget, carbohydrates are a macro nutrient. We need some every day. If you have a medical condition, you do need to make sure that you aren't eating too many carbs in one sitting. But for the rest of us, carbs are good, and we should be getting a fair amount different types of carbs in our daily diets.
  • Brunner26_2
    Options

(STARCHES INCLUDED]

Don't listen to DustinLeeSamp. While I'm sure he means well, from what I've seen of his posts, he's not really on a sustainable or healthy diet (800 calories some days) and his claims tend to be inaccurate.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Totally false.

The body LOVES sugar. Sugar is its number one energy source, and if you don't eat it, your body just uses what you did eat to make sugar. As for corn syrup (glucose, the brain and body's main energy source) and sugar beets and sugar cane (sucrose, also found in EVERY single piece of fruit you eat,) the body digests them perfectly fine, they are foods humans have been eating for millennia.
  • tigersword
    Options

Wheat Belly is a poorly written book with terribly misinterpreted, cherry picked research.

That said, yes, foods today are completely different from foods 100 years ago. And foods 100 years ago were completely different from foods 100 years before that. Humans have been genetically engineering and modifying foods for thousands of years. Carrots used to be purple (you can still occasionally find some) and cucumbers used to be poisonous. Several hundred years ago The Dutch tinkered with them to make cucumbers non-poisonous and carrots orange.
  • EccentricDad
    Options

Wheat Belly is a poorly written book with terribly misinterpreted, cherry picked research.

That said, yes, foods today are completely different from foods 100 years ago. And foods 100 years ago were completely different from foods 100 years before that. Humans have been genetically engineering and modifying foods for thousands of years. Carrots used to be purple (you can still occasionally find some) and cucumbers used to be poisonous. Several hundred years ago The Dutch tinkered with them to make cucumbers non-poisonous and carrots orange.

So you don't think it's plausible that we could have genetically changed something to a point that it's not tolerable by ALL people and some people have a predisposition to not tolerate the new GMO version of a food?
  • EccentricDad
    Options

(STARCHES INCLUDED]

Don't listen to DustinLeeSamp. While I'm sure he means well, from what I've seen of his posts, he's not really on a sustainable or healthy diet (800 calories some days) and his claims tend to be inaccurate.

Dustin Who?
    Anyways, I'm only repeating things I've seen on the forums. If you don't like what I say, then you can blame everyone else for dumping their opinions as facts. I am just here to learn and repeat what was learned. Isn't that what everyone else does?
  • EccentricDad
    Options

{GRAPHIC}

(STARCHES INCLUDED]

The graphic you posted is actually not true. If you are eating in a calorie deficit, the body will NOT store fat. Our bodies need starches just as they need fiber. Lest we forget, carbohydrates are a macro nutrient. We need some every day. If you have a medical condition, you do need to make sure that you aren't eating too many carbs in one sitting. But for the rest of us, carbs are good, and we should be getting a fair amount different types of carbs in our daily diets.

Even if that information is "not true", insulin DOES play a role in losing weight. This is why some people benefit from a low carb diet (those with an apple shape) and some people benefit from a low fat diet (people with fat all over). This is at least what I read, so don't kill the messenger.
  • tigersword
    Options
    Insulin does NOT play any kind of role in weight loss. The "insulin hypothesis" as it's been called has been completely debunked. Insulin regulates anabolism, growth hormone, muscle growth, and glycogen storage, (among several hundred other functions.) It has nothing to do with weight gain or loss. Weight gain and loss is solely based on energy balance, total calories consumed vs total calories burned, over long term period (generally weeks.)

While there are some people with legitimate metabolic conditions that need to limit carbohydrates to maintain their health, the vast majority of people who low carb "think" they are doing better on it because low carbing leads to a substantial loss of initial water weight. It's a mental thing, not biological.