Can you achieve results, just walking?

Options

Replies

• littlepinkhearts
    littlepinkhearts Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Walking at speed 3mph to 4mph is not really that slow, so I don't see why you wouldn't. Especially if you add some hills. :)
  • redlion45
    redlion45 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Yes, a good brisk walk (the quicker the better) can do good things for you.
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Yes definitely!!

With walking there are so many variations; you can change your speed/surroundings easily..

For better results I would mix it up, uphill is always good for the muscles in moderation, look online for walks in your area, I'm sure you'll find some you never knew were there!
    ^^^^^^
    THIS...HILLS ARE GREAT!!
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    When I lost me weight for my wedding /4 years ago, My husband and I walked 4-6 times a week and lost our weight by doing that and watching our diet/food intake. The hint is to start where you are comfortable and increase speed and/or distance every now and then...we got up to 4 miles and started trying to better our time every night we walked. GOOD LUCK!!

(I did not read anyone elses responses)
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Yes, i eat healthily and within my 1200 limit. This is my 11th day. My clothes do fit better, it's just thhe last time I did this (burining the same amount with the elliptical, not walking) i lost 7lbs in the first week. This time - nothing. I'm not weight focused, but im surprised at nothing has come off.
  • beachbumdoug
    beachbumdoug Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I lost 30 pounds by walking in the evening after the kids went to bed. its about the only thing i have time for these days.
    So yes you can!!
  • PuggleLover
    PuggleLover Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I lost 42 pounds by walking.
  • richx83
    richx83 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have lost 10 stone just from walking so it is definitely possible :smile:
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    strolling does work in the beginning,
    but you have to pick up the pace to continue to shed pounds
    Your feet do shrink too I've gone from a 9 1/2
    to a 7
    But due to a fused ankle I'll never be able to wear heels again, bummer
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Absolutely.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    I lost 42 pounds by walking.

its amazing when you put a backpack on with some of the weight you have lost and then take a walk. If you put 30 of those 42 pounds in a pack and carried it around, you will really appreciate your accomplishment and wonder how your body used to carry all that weight everywhere

congrats
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    If you are lifting, you are golden. "In shape" is relative. Nothing transforms your body like lifting. walking is a great cardio exercise.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I used walking for the first three months when i started. I found it to be the perfect exercise when I first went into a calorie deficit since I did get a workout, but it didn't make me hungry like more intense workouts did.
  • HisShadow
    HisShadow Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've done nothing more than walk, swim, and ride my recumbent bike trainer. I'm doing pretty good.
  • DoomCakes
    DoomCakes Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    Yea! Walking is healthy. It's active and great for people who suffer from joint pains, foot pains, asthma, etc. Granted, picking up the pace helps, and always trying to walk a bit farther too. Also, a bike is great too. You can pick up your speed, go farther in less time, and you can use it as a mode of transportation (providing everything is reasonably close and not 30 miles away lol)

IF it's an option, I'd also suggest the elipticals. They are low impact and smooth movements and work your body out very well! I love them, they help my knees. Eventually as the weight comes off you may even be able to start running.
  • PAnn1
    PAnn1 Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Strolling isn't going to do anything

:huh:

I'm glad you're not part of my support system.
    Yeah, me too. The original poster asked about "walking" not running. She is walking at a brisk pace. Faster would be jogging, faster than that would be running. So she is not "strolling" as people are saying here. She's doing a brisk walk at 4mph.
  • bookwormwendy
    bookwormwendy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yes! Absolutely! I have a heart condition and can't do extremely vigorous cardio. I walk (about 3.5mph 30-40 min a day on the treadmill OR at the local walking track- I use an app on my phone to track it), I do yoga (and yay it's done barefoot :wink: ) and I do some free weights. I've lost a little over 34 pounds and almost half way to my goal. I started in April. Start where you are and with what you can do. Find what brings you results and DON't COMPARE YOURSELF TO OTHERS! You can do it! :happy:
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Strolling isn't going to do anything

:huh:

I'm glad you're not part of my support system.
    Yeah, me too. The original poster asked about "walking" not running. She is walking at a brisk pace. Faster would be jogging, faster than that would be running. So she is not "strolling" as people are saying here. She's doing a brisk walk at 4mph.

I clearly said "Strolling (Not saying that's what you're doing)" Goodness gracious.
  • oOMusicBabii
    Options
    I had previously lost 45 pounds using Leslie Sansone Walk Away The Pounds series, at home. It may be an option for you.
    I have been doing Leslie Sansone videos for a month and a half and have lost 9 pounds so far. It's fantastic and very easy to ramp up your HR if you want the extra burn.
  • 00Melyanna00
    00Melyanna00 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yes!
    Or you could also try riding a bicycle , swimming, tai chi or yoga.