Can you achieve results, just walking?

Options

Replies

• sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I used walking for the first three months when i started. I found it to be the perfect exercise when I first went into a calorie deficit since I did get a workout, but it didn't make me hungry like more intense workouts did.

Exactely! It feels so wrong to not feel ravenous in the evening, even though i've been exercising for 150 minutes!
  • SweetPickle007
    Options
    Have you went to a shoe store and had your feet measured? I have very wide feet also. You should be able to get shoes that fit. Your shoes should not be causing you foot pain. Don't ruin your feet by wearing to small of shoes. I wish you the best of luck with your weight loss.:smile:
  • AmberJslimsAWAY
    AmberJslimsAWAY Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Yes, i eat healthily and within my 1200 limit. This is my 11th day. My clothes do fit better, it's just thhe last time I did this (burining the same amount with the elliptical, not walking) i lost 7lbs in the first week. This time - nothing. I'm not weight focused, but im surprised at nothing has come off.

You might be gaining muscles. Are you taking pictures? I have pictures of me 3 weeks apart, same weight, COMPLETE body difference.
  • bookwormwendy
    bookwormwendy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yes, i eat healthily and within my 1200 limit. This is my 11th day. My clothes do fit better, it's just thhe last time I did this (burining the same amount with the elliptical, not walking) i lost 7lbs in the first week. This time - nothing. I'm not weight focused, but im surprised at nothing has come off.

You may have traded some muscle for some fat. Just stick with it and as crazy as it sounds, make sure you don't underfeed yourself. Good luck.
  • PisceanDream224
    Options
    Walking is one of the best forms of exercise because it is low impact and natural for us to do! It sheds body fat, especially in the stomach and legs, improves cardiovascular strength, and helps to relieve stress! Weight training helps tone and define muscles, so your body may not only be supported, but burn more calories while at rest. These two together reap wonderful results!

You also don't have to exercise hard to see results. You should focus more on your Target Heart Rate. Keeping your HR in a fat burning zone is where you will see the most results. You can find many charts on the web if you google "Target Heart Rate charts." Get a Heart Rate monitor and use it when you exercise so you may keep your readings within your range.

Personally, I have had great results over the years when it doesn't feel like "exercise" because my heart rate is in my Target zone. :)
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the C25K? Its a walk/jog program. I am no runner but on nights my son has football practice I do this. Its only 30 minutes and with walking then jogging then walking and so on will increase your heart rate. I jog slow and will work on my speed later. Right now i am working on burning fat and calories
  • tequilasunris3
    Options
    Absolutely. I have lost over 10lbs so far (6lbs whilst on MFP) just by walking more than I was and eating the right things.
  • Kayleighpaul1985
    Kayleighpaul1985 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I have knee problems so walking has been my main exercise since I started MFP

Lost 62lb since Jan so it definately works alongside a good diet

xx
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I am considering going to get a shoe fitting at a place that specializes in running/walking shoes etc. I cannot find a comfortable shoe either and I get the numbness, etc and have no idea why so my guess is my shoes are not fitting correctly. Have you done that?
  • TexanThom
    Options
    I have lost a total of 77 lbs. just walking. If I get over 2.7 mph on the treadmill my ankle hurts so much I have to stop. Try New Balance and Dunham shoes, both go up to EEEEE. I am sure you can find a shoe that will fit if you look at these. Good luck.
  • tabinmaine
    tabinmaine Posts: 965 Member
    Options

If you are lifting AND walking that much you need to eat more than 1200 calories. Are you eating 1200 PLUS your exercise calories ??? Probably more like 1700-2000 a day.

Nothing has come off because your body is not happy with you lol Feed it more food !
  • zachguest
    Options
    Try getting some Vibram Five Fingers shoes and see if those help.
  • beckssmith70
    Options
    Anything that involves getting off out and burning calories will work, I took off 2 stone (28llb) last year just walking my dogs as well as diet chef (that works the principle behind it is that it is so disgusting you throw it in the bin)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Walking will work just fine. When I started this year at 280lbs, walking and lifting was what I did. Running at that weight hurt my knee and Achilles (both have been surgically repaired).

Now that I've lost most of the weight, walking is still a big part of what I do. It's the only cardio that doesn't affect my recovery from lifting, so I walk everywhere.

Always remember that it's your diet that makes you lose weight, not your workouts. Concentrate on your calorie intake first, and use walking (or any workout) to trim a little extra from your total.
  • capricorn0120
    capricorn0120 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Walking will help you lose weight. I have a very over weight relative and she started walking 30 minutes every day. I'm not talking a brisk walk either because it was very difficult for her. She's now walking 30 minutes in the morning and 45 in the evening. She's lost 35 lbs. Obviously with some adjustments to her food intake but any kind of movement is beneficial because it will help you burn some calories and tone.

By the way, I have the same problem with my feet and problem ankle and knee joints. I can't do running. I do cardio but a modified version. There are decent athletic shoes that help when you're exercising.
  • Francesca3162
    Francesca3162 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It is the only cardio I do.. Walking and now I mix in jogging.. its all about the pace though...
  • tinchick
    tinchick Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Absolutely you can! I'm doing it myself.

Check out this group for Leslie Sansone Walk at Home. Her videos are great if you want to get healthy through walking and trust me, they will get your heart rate up.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/335-leslie-sansone-walk-at-home
  • BarbellBlondieRuns
    Options
    Have you looked online for wide athletic shoes? Amazon has them that go all the way up to a 4E. Here is a pair in a 2E (link below) that are not any more expensive than typical athletic shoes. Good luck!

Oh, as far as walking & lifting... heck yeah that's enough! Do what you can & do what you enjoy :)

http://www.amazon.com/ASICS-Cross-Training-Ultramarine-2E-US/dp/B004KP6R44/ref=sr_1_3?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1347547276&sr=1-3
  • makeupmuse10
    Options
    I have a heart condition and high intensity stuff does NOT work for me...I pass out! So walking has been a great alternative!!
  • TheFinalThird
    TheFinalThird Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    <
    Just walking and following MFP, down 36 pounds in 50 days.