stuffed peppers

Options
Inittolozeit
Inittolozeit Posts: 116 Member
Who has a good low Cal recipe for stuffed peppers?

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Stuffed Bell Pepper Recipe

Yields: 4 servings
    Prep time: 35 min
    Cook time: 30 min

Ingredients:

4 medium-size sweet bell peppers (yellow, orange, green, or red)
    1/2 pound extra-lean ground beef (hamburger)
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1/4 cup minced onion
    1 medium carrot, shredded
    1 can (28-ounce) tomatoes with liquid, cut up
    1/2 cup uncooked long-grain rice
    1 tablespoon firmly-packed brown sugar
    1/4 teaspoon dried basil
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Tomato ketchup or shredded cheese (your choice)*

* Remember, if you add shredded cheese to the top of your stuffed peppers, you will be adding additional calories.

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Cut the tops off each pepper; pull out the stem portion and seeds. Chop enough of the tops to make 1/3 cup. Clean out the rest of the pepper so no seeds remain and the center ribs are carved out to make room for the stuffing. If pepper does not stand up straight, slice a little off the bottom of the pepper to level it out.

In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, either steam or cook peppers in boiling water until crisp-tender, about 4 to 5 minutes. NOTE: Your time may vary according to the size of the peppers. You want it to have just a slight crunch when you eat it. Be careful not to overcook them or they will be soggy and hard to stuff.

Remove peppers from water and rinse with cold water to stop the cooking process; drain and set aside.

In a large frying pan over medium heat, brown ground beef; add garlic, onion, carrot, and reserved chopped peppers; sauté until vegetables are tender. Add tomatoes, rice, brown sugar, basil, salt, and pepper. Cover and reduce heat to simmer. Cook until the rice is tender, approximately 30 minutes. Remove from heat.

Place peppers in a baking dish. Stuff hot meat mixture into peppers. Drizzle tops with ketchup or shredded cheese. Bake approximately 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from oven and serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings (1 stuffed pepper per serving).

Per Serving - 5.6 Fat Grams, 197.8 calories
  • radioberry
    Options
    sounds yummy
  • tsherm3850
    tsherm3850 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Gonna give this recipe a try. I love stuffed peppers.
  • chunkydunk714
    chunkydunk714 Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I love stuffed peppers. Thank you for sharing!
  • njohn1967m
    njohn1967m Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing!
  • TheRoadDog
    TheRoadDog Posts: 11,793 Member
    Options
    I don't have a recipe written down, but...

I like to Juice, so when I am cleaning out the juicer, I talke all that pulp and mix it into my mixture for stuffed peppers.

I also use that pulp when making meatloaf, meatballs, hamburger patties, to thicken soup, etc.
  • Going4Lean
    Going4Lean Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    bump
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Not a problem everyone :)
  • MoChroi8609
    MoChroi8609 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/recipes.asp?category=1&recipe=22458

I LOVE this recipe! To be honest I like them better than my mother's & we're Italian so I've been brought up on everything like that lol
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    Beef and Quinoa Stuffed Bell Peppers

2 large green bell peppers
    1/2 pound ground sirloin
    1 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup finely chopped carrot
    1 clove garlic, finely minced
    1 cup cooked quinoa
    cooked quinoa
    1 14 oz. can diced tomatoes
    1/4 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp ground black pepper
    2 Tbsp finely chopped fresh basil
    fresh basil
    1/2 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese

Preparation:

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.

2. Slice the green bell peppers in half vertically, and remove the pulp and seeds from the inside. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil, and add the bell peppers. Boil for 5 minutes, then remove the peppers from the water, and set aside.

3. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat, and add the hamburger. Break up the hamburger with a fork, and cook until the hamburger is no longer pink. Remove the hamburger, and set aside. Add the onion, carrot, and garlic to the pan, and cook 4-5 minutes, until vegetables are tender. Return the hamburger to the pan, and add the cooked quinoa, tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking for 3-4 minutes, until heated through. Remove from the heat, and add the fresh basil.

4. Place the green pepper halves on a baking dish, and fill each cavity with about 3/4 cup of the quinoa mixture. Bake for 15 minutes.

5. Set the oven to the broil setting. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese evenly over the stuffed peppers, and broil for 2 minutes, until lightly browned.

Serves 4

Per Serving Calories 213
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    And this one:

Spicy Black Bean Stuffed Peppers (http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2010/09/29/spicy-black-bean-stuffed-peppers/)

2 small peppers- any kind you’d like
    1/2 medium sized onion, diced
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 TBSP olive oil
    1, 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
    1/4 cup water
    2 tsp cumin
    2 tsp chili powder
    1/2 tsp smoked paprika
    1/2 tsp salt
    pinch cayenne pepper for a little heat
    1/2 cup sweet corn
    1/2 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese, or any cheese you like
    fresh cilantro, salsa, and sour cream for serving

Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut a slit through the entire length of each of your peppers. Place them on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes, until the skins are softened and beginning to blister.
    Heat olive oil in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Add your onion and saute for 3 minutes, until beginning to soften and turn translucent.
    Add garlic and stir constantly for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
    Stir in your black beans along with the water.
    Add your cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, and cayenne. Stir, cover the pot, reduce the heat to low and simmer the beans for at least 15 minutes, but up to 30 minutes.
    Stir in corn. Divide the bean mixture evenly among the two peppers and sprinkle with cheese.
    Broil for 3 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Garnish with fresh cilantro, salsa, and sour cream if you’d like.
  • perpetual98
    Options
    Oooh, I'm going to have to try a couple of these!
  • Yieya
    Yieya Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • JediSwan
    JediSwan Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    How about stuffed pepper soup?!?! And I never measure but here are the ingredients. My husband can't get enough of it:

Green peppers cut intro thing strips and added at the last 10 minutes of cooking
    Onion cut into thing strips as well and added at beginning
    Tomato puree, soup or whatever (I use home canned tomatoes and 1 can of tomato soup)
    Garlic
    pepper
    1 lb turkey burger (lean)
    Rice (5 minutes brown rice - I think about a cup or so, depending on how much you want)

Cook the burger, throw everything else in the pot of tomato base and simmer for 15 minutes, then throw in green peppers. Throw in rice last 5 minutes and you have an awesome fall/winter soup :)
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I'm think I would substitute Quorn grounds for the ground beef and add Basmati Rice. Definitely saving this recipe though.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Who has a good low Cal recipe for stuffed peppers?

How about a really yummy healthy simple Stuffed Pepper Soup from Skinnytaste.com website?:love:

Skinnytaste.com http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/12/stuffed-pepper-soup.html

Stuffed Pepper Soup

Ingredients:

3 cups cooked brown rice
    1 lb 95% lean ground beef
    1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
    1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
    1 cup finely diced onion
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    2 cans (14.5 oz each) cans petite diced tomatoes
    1 3/4 cups tomato sauce
    2 cups reduced sodium, fat-free chicken broth
    1/2 tsp dried marjoram
    salt and fresh pepper to taste

Directions:

In a large pot or Dutch oven, brown ground meat on high heat and season with salt. Drain fat if any, reduce heat to medium-low, then add peppers, onions and garlic. Cook about 5 minutes on low heat.

Add tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, marjoram and season with salt and pepper to taste. Cover and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. Serve about 1 1/3 cups of soup in each bowl and top with 1/2 cup cooked brown rice.

Makes about 8 cups.

Skinnytaste.com http://www.skinnytaste.com/2011/12/stuffed-pepper-soup.html

Servings: 6 • Size: 1 1/3 cups soup, 1/2 cup rice • Old Points: 5 pts • Points+: 7 pts
    Calories: 261.2 • Fat: 4.8 g • Carb: 37.5 g • Fiber: 4.7 g • Protein: 17.6 g • Sugar: 6 g
    Sodium: 606.3 g (without salt)

ETA: oops! Sorry I didn't see yours Shulwick :blushing:
  • JMFresh
    JMFresh Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe on MFP - and used it. SO GOOD!!!! I used green peppers and no salt tomato sauce.
    I can't wait to make these again!!

Stuffed Peppers
    • 1 lb lean chopped turkey meat
    • 1 garlic, minced
    • 1/4 onion, minced
    • 1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
    • 1 tsp garlic powder
    • 1 tsp cumin powder
    • salt to taste
    • 3 large sweet red bell peppers, washed
    • 1 cup fat free chicken broth
    • 1/4 cup tomato sauce
    • 1 1/2 cups cooked rice
    • Olive oil spray
    • 1/4 cup reduced fat shredded cheese

Heat oven to 400°. Spray a little olive oil spray in a medium size saute pan and heat on a medium flame. Add onion, garlic and cilantro to the pan. Saute about 2 minutes and add ground turkey. Season with salt and garlic powder, and cumin and brown meat for several minutes until meat is completely cooked through. Add 1/4 cup of tomato sauce and 1/2 cup of chicken broth, mix well and simmer on low for about 5 minutes. Combine cooked rice and meat together.

Cut the bell peppers in half lengthwise, and remove all seeds. Place in a baking dish. Spoon the meat mixture into each pepper half and fill it with as much as you can. Place all stuffed pepper halves on the baking dish and pour the remainder of the chicken broth on the bottom of the pan. Cover tight with aluminum foil and bake for about 35 minutes. Top with shredded cheddar cheese and enjoy.

Servings: 6 servings (1/2 pepper) • Time: 55 minutes
    Calories: 184.7 • Fat: 2.3 g • Protein: 20.8 g • Carb: 20.2 g • Fiber: 1.6 g  
  • labrennan
    labrennan Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    they all sound great...save this thread
  • sgv0918
    sgv0918 Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    bump
  • curlygirly80
    Options
    BUMP, sounds like a must make!