Do I understand it correctly?

Options
Dietary Fats help us stay full longer and can be used as energy but is essential for cell repair.
Carbs are energy and complex carbs are slow metabolizing energy.
Protein helps us repair, maintain, and rebuild our bodies and can also be used as energy.

Carbs that are taken in excess to our blood glucose threshold is going to result in an insulin response, resulting in dietary fats to be stored in fat cells until the glucose is burned and insulin levels come back down? Protein also triggers an insulin response too but not like carbs do?

Saturated fats have been linked to high LDL in the blood stream and not Cholesterol (though limiting both might be a good idea)? The fats we should be eating are unsaturated fats at a 1:1 ratio?

Not all proteins are complete, only dairy, eggs, meat, soy, and quinoa are complete proteins; all other proteins must be paired to provide all the essential proteins?

Fill me in on anything else I've missed. I want to get this right so I can feed my family right and teach my children how to do it right when they move out to live on their own.

Replies

• Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I found these articles to be a good starting place to understand the role of un/saturated fat and cholesterol in my diet.

unsaturated fat section: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fats/#axzz26OKJoplD
    saturated fat: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/saturated-fat-healthy/#axzz26OKJoplD
    cholesterol: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cholesterol/#axzz26OKJoplD

Teaching the babies is always a great thing!
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    This is on your profile:

So to go from eating approximately 1000 calories a day to eating 140 calories is going to be scary; but as long as I'm eating clean, fresh foods, it should end up with positive results.

Are you for serious??
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    About the incomplete proteins...
    New research shows that if you eat oatmeal at breakfast and beans at lunch it counts as a complete protein. You do not have to eat both at the same meal!
  • MichelleLaree13
    Options
    This is on your profile:

So to go from eating approximately 1000 calories a day to eating 140 calories is going to be scary; but as long as I'm eating clean, fresh foods, it should end up with positive results.

Are you for serious??

I think it is a typo. 1400 calories sounds normal...
  • halejr23
    Options
    This is on your profile:

Are you for serious??

That has GOT to be a mistake ...
  • halejr23
    Options
    This is on your profile:

Are you for serious??

1400 calories for a guy ... and one that is exercising and talking about "mild bulk" is WAY to low.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    This is on your profile:

Are you for serious??

It's true...he is Highly Sensitive Person.
    Dude you must eat.
    The threads I see you post here have me concerned about you.
    You need help and counseling.
    Not attacking you just offering advice:flowerforyou:
  • MichelleLaree13
    Options
    I think eating whole foods and homemade dishes is the healthiest way to go. If you stay away from processed foods, fast food, "junk food" and eat meat in moderation, you shouldnt have to worry about the fats in your diet.
  • sullykat
    sullykat Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    Dietary Fats help us stay full longer and can be used as energy but is essential for cell repair.
    Carbs are energy and complex carbs are slow metabolizing energy.
    Protein helps us repair, maintain, and rebuild our bodies and can also be used as energy.

Carbs that are taken in excess to our blood glucose threshold is going to result in an insulin response, resulting in dietary fats to be stored in fat cells until the glucose is burned and insulin levels come back down? Protein also triggers an insulin response too but not like carbs do?

Saturated fats have been linked to high LDL in the blood stream and not Cholesterol (though limiting both might be a good idea)? The fats we should be eating are unsaturated fats at a 1:1 ratio?

Not all proteins are complete, only dairy, eggs, meat, soy, and quinoa are complete proteins; all other proteins must be paired to provide all the essential proteins?

Fill me in on anything else I've missed. I want to get this right so I can feed my family right and teach my children how to do it right when they move out to live on their own.

I'd say you got a lot of it right. Though the protein pairing went the way of the Dodo in the 80's; though it technically is true... it's not "true", if the thought is that you want to "pair" proteins to make them complete in one meal, you don't actually have to do that. You just have to make sure you have the proper amino acids to creat complete proteins throughout the day. So; I think corn and beans make a complete protein, you dont have to eat them in the same meal, you could have the beans at lunch and the corn at dinner, and have the proper amino acid pairing by the end of the day, and you'd be good to go!
  • MichelleLaree13
    Options
    This is on your profile:

Are you for serious??

1400 calories for a guy ... and one that is exercising and talking about "mild bulk" is WAY to low.

He is only 155 lbs and some research shows that it is healthy to live off of a high nutrient low calorie diet (some research also justifies it is too low).
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

I

We don't know his height plus his goal is 145 so that may not be so low when you're looking to lose even as a guy, just tossing that out there.

Learning new things on this thread, appreciate all the input!
  • _granola
    Options
    I don't think any of this should be your concern. I am more concerned that you consistently sound like a person with disordered eating habits and disordered thinking about food. And if your profile is correct about how much you are eating, then I definitely think you need some help.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/uploads/file/Orthorexia Nervosa.pdf
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    This is on your profile:

Are you for serious??

He is only 155 lbs and some research shows that it is healthy to live off of a high nutrient low calorie diet (some research also justifies it is too low).
    I'm 155 lbs and my calorie goal is 1610 BEFORE excercise...

Seriously, eat more food.
  • ggcat
    ggcat Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    This is on your profile:

Are you for serious??

Dude you must eat.

I've seen his posts too....please eat more! We beg you!
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I think you are over thinking it. Eat a balanced diet. Stick to wholesome foods around 80% of the time. To lose weight, eat at a moderate deficit; to gain eat at a moderate surplus. Exercise.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    This is on your profile:

Are you for serious??

It was a typo. I was going to eat 1400 calories but I decided to do 1600 instead. And yes, I'm serious. My TDEE is 2100 and BMR is just over 1600. But why does this matter, why are you looking at my profile when it has NOTHING to do with the question?
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    About the incomplete proteins...
    New research shows that if you eat oatmeal at breakfast and beans at lunch it counts as a complete protein. You do not have to eat both at the same meal!

Do you have a link to all the protein combinations for Celiacs? I am going to do beans and rice but what are other combinations that complete the proteins?
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    This is on your profile:

Are you for serious??

I came here looking for an understanding of how macronutrients work and I get the egos looking at my diary/profile... Please, please, PLEASE, stay on topic here. I realize that I am a public nuisance to all of you because I've posted 372 posts in 2 months but I am just eager to do this right.

The reason I was eating under 1000 is because I was terrified to eat. People with Celiac Disease have intestinal damage that they cannot feel (except when the stomach is inflamed) so I was terrified to eat food that had ingredients that I didn't know their origin because I didn't want my intestines to get worse. Can you imagine being concerned about your health and not knowing how to improve it? It's terrifying! So I ate what I knew was safe - veggies and single ingredient meats. Eventually I added fruits. But the point is, don't judge me; I am doing everything I can without good reliable information to go by...

Please don't pick on me. I can't handle any more bullies, that's why I announce I'm an HSP, because someone out there has to know what that means and realize that my life is hard enough as it is so giving me a hard time is only going to upset me and put me on the defensive.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    I don't think any of this should be your concern. I am more concerned that you consistently sound like a person with disordered eating habits and disordered thinking about food. And if your profile is correct about how much you are eating, then I definitely think you need some help.

http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/uploads/file/Orthorexia Nervosa.pdf

................... Seriously?
    Seriously?
    I make a typo and you all think the typo was serious?

I was scared to INCREASE my calories. Not scared to DROP my calories to pennies on a dollar.
    When was this topic going to get back ON topic if I didn't come back and get defensive?
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    This is on your profile:

Are you for serious??

Dude you must eat.

Thank you for showing some tenderness. It was a mistake. I'm eating 1600 now and I was going to eat 1400 but decided against it. I really appreciate your gentler way of getting your point across. :flowerforyou: