Do I understand it correctly?

Options

Replies

• EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    I think eating whole foods and homemade dishes is the healthiest way to go. If you stay away from processed foods, fast food, "junk food" and eat meat in moderation, you shouldnt have to worry about the fats in your diet.

Thank you for this. It doesn't address all my questions but it is at least on topic. :smile:
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Dietary Fats help us stay full longer and can be used as energy but is essential for cell repair.
    Carbs are energy and complex carbs are slow metabolizing energy.
    Protein helps us repair, maintain, and rebuild our bodies and can also be used as energy.

Carbs that are taken in excess to our blood glucose threshold is going to result in an insulin response, resulting in dietary fats to be stored in fat cells until the glucose is burned and insulin levels come back down? Protein also triggers an insulin response too but not like carbs do?

Saturated fats have been linked to high LDL in the blood stream and not Cholesterol (though limiting both might be a good idea)? The fats we should be eating are unsaturated fats at a 1:1 ratio?

Not all proteins are complete, only dairy, eggs, meat, soy, and quinoa are complete proteins; all other proteins must be paired to provide all the essential proteins?

Fill me in on anything else I've missed. I want to get this right so I can feed my family right and teach my children how to do it right when they move out to live on their own.

I'd say you got a lot of it right. Though the protein pairing went the way of the Dodo in the 80's; though it technically is true... it's not "true", if the thought is that you want to "pair" proteins to make them complete in one meal, you don't actually have to do that. You just have to make sure you have the proper amino acids to creat complete proteins throughout the day. So; I think corn and beans make a complete protein, you dont have to eat them in the same meal, you could have the beans at lunch and the corn at dinner, and have the proper amino acid pairing by the end of the day, and you'd be good to go!

Thank you VERY much for your response. Being a HSP I am very prone to naivety and being "suckered" into believing the wrong things. While everyone is used to having a level of skepticism, I am very trusting and I have learned that I need to verify that what I heard/read is true before I apply it in my life. You have no idea how much trouble my innocence has got me into (not to mention how many "sissy" insults I've had growing up).

As far as the complete proteins, I would like to know the combos though. I may serve corn one day and forget to have beans and I know that would be a no-no so I need to know these things. Any idea where I can find them?
  • danaweston
    Options
    I think eating whole foods and homemade dishes is the healthiest way to go. If you stay away from processed foods, fast food, "junk food" and eat meat in moderation, you shouldnt have to worry about the fats in your diet.

This one has the right idea

you'll do fine
  • danaweston
    Options
    also for complete proteins
    you might find them
    on vegetarian sites
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    This is on your profile:

So to go from eating approximately 1000 calories a day to eating 140 calories is going to be scary; but as long as I'm eating clean, fresh foods, it should end up with positive results.

Are you for serious??

I think it is a typo. 1400 calories sounds normal...

1400 calories for a guy ... and one that is exercising and talking about "mild bulk" is WAY to low.

He is only 155 lbs and some research shows that it is healthy to live off of a high nutrient low calorie diet (some research also justifies it is too low).

Since everyone wants to run my numbers I'll give you what I ran last week: I'm 30years old, I weigh 152.2, I am 5'8" (68 inches), my neck is 14.5, my waist is 32, and my hip is 37. Doing the fit 2 fat radio stuff 1600 calories is only a 400 or so deficient, being at 1400 would only be 600 calorie deficient. I'm not your average bulky guy; I'm a bean pole just like everyone else in my family. My body was not meant to build. I think my family has a lineage of runners/swimmers.

EDIT: Oops, My wife is 31, I'm 30.
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Dietary Fats help us stay full longer and can be used as energy but is essential for cell repair.
    Protein helps us repair, maintain, and rebuild our bodies and can also be used as energy.

Carbs that are taken in excess to our blood glucose threshold is going to result in an insulin response, resulting in dietary fats to be stored in fat cells until the glucose is burned and insulin levels come back down? Protein also triggers an insulin response too but not like carbs do?

Saturated fats have been linked to high LDL in the blood stream and not Cholesterol (though limiting both might be a good idea)? The fats we should be eating are unsaturated fats at a 1:1 ratio?

Not all proteins are complete, only dairy, eggs, meat, soy, and quinoa are complete proteins; all other proteins must be paired to provide all the essential proteins?

Fill me in on anything else I've missed. I want to get this right so I can feed my family right and teach my children how to do it right when they move out to live on their own.

I'd say you got a lot of it right. Though the protein pairing went the way of the Dodo in the 80's; though it technically is true... it's not "true", if the thought is that you want to "pair" proteins to make them complete in one meal, you don't actually have to do that. You just have to make sure you have the proper amino acids to creat complete proteins throughout the day. So; I think corn and beans make a complete protein, you dont have to eat them in the same meal, you could have the beans at lunch and the corn at dinner, and have the proper amino acid pairing by the end of the day, and you'd be good to go!

Thank you VERY much for your response. Being a HSP I am very prone to naivety and being "suckered" into believing the wrong things. While everyone is used to having a level of skepticism, I am very trusting and I have learned that I need to verify that what I heard/read is true before I apply it in my life. You have no idea how much trouble my innocence has got me into (not to mention how many "sissy" insults I've had growing up).

As far as the complete proteins, I would like to know the combos though. I may serve corn one day and forget to have beans and I know that would be a no-no so I need to know these things. Any idea where I can find them?

Again, you're over-thinking. You'/re going to drive yourself crazy trying to micromanage at this level. At most look at overall protein, fat, and carbs. Don't even worry about pairing different foods to make complete proteins. On the list of all the things to be concerned about in diet and fitness, that would be like number 12,114
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    I found these articles to be a good starting place to understand the role of un/saturated fat and cholesterol in my diet.

unsaturated fat section: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/fats/#axzz26OKJoplD
    saturated fat: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/saturated-fat-healthy/#axzz26OKJoplD
    cholesterol: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cholesterol/#axzz26OKJoplD

Teaching the babies is always a great thing!

Thank you VERY much, I will check the site and see if I can absorb the info. The thing I don't like about marksdailyapple.com though is that they are very bias towards the paleo diet; and while I do eat very close to that diet, I still think it puts a spin on it if nothing else a slant. I'll still read it though, information is what I seek. Oh and thank you for your tender response. I really appreciate it. :flowerforyou:
  • EccentricDad
    Options

I

1400 calories for a guy ... and one that is exercising and talking about "mild bulk" is WAY to low.
    We don't know his height plus his goal is 145 so that may not be so low when you're looking to lose even as a guy, just tossing that out there.

Learning new things on this thread, appreciate all the input!

Thank you for defending me. It's sad that I posted a question to get information and they spent more time looking at my profile than answering the question... :frown:
  • EccentricDad
    Options

Again, you're over-thinking. You'/re going to drive yourself crazy trying to micromanage at this level. At most look at overall protein, fat, and carbs. Don't even worry about pairing different foods to make complete proteins. On the list of all the things to be concerned about in diet and fitness, that would be like number 12,114

I appreciate your concern but there is a valid reason I'm concerned. My wife and I are on a very tight and fixed budget. We may have to have meatless days (not meals, days) so I need to know how to get complete proteins from Celiac approved grains, veggies, and legumes. A protein isn't a protein if my body isn't getting the essential proteins (the ones it can't make on its own) and the proper amount, right?
  • vmekash
    vmekash Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I think you are over thinking it. Eat a balanced diet. Stick to wholesome foods around 80% of the time. To lose weight, eat at a moderate deficit; to gain eat at a moderate surplus. Exercise.

^^^this^^^
    Agreed!
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    also for complete proteins
    you might find them
    on vegetarian sites

Didn't think of that, thank you! Very helpful :happy:
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    I think you are over thinking it. Eat a balanced diet. Stick to wholesome foods around 80% of the time. To lose weight, eat at a moderate deficit; to gain eat at a moderate surplus. Exercise.

^^^this^^^
    Agreed!

I agree too, but what is a balanced diet? Is a 55/30/15 balanced? Or is a 40/30/30? Or is a 70/10/20? Or is a 50/25/25? The point is, what is the proper balance? Also, since I don't believe in the "if it fits my calories" motto, what should I eat?

Look, being given wrong information by my parents growing up, and having people realize that I am easily swayed and impressionable, I have to get all the information correct so I know what I'm doing. This isn't easy for me though because I am overly trusting. I know you think I'm over thinking this, but have you ever considered that you're underthinking it?
  • phynyxfyre
    phynyxfyre Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Here are some examples of vegetarian foods with high sources of plant protein:

Protein in Legume: Garbanzo beans, kidney beans, lentils, lima beans, navy beans, soybeans, split peas

Protein in Grain: Barley, brown rice, buckwheat, millet, oatmeal, ouinoa, rye, wheat germ, wheat, wild rice

Vegetable Protein: Artichokes, beets, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumbers, eggplant, green peas, green pepper, kale, lettuce, mushroom, mustard green, onions, potatoes, spinach, tomatoes, turnip greens, watercress, yams, zucchini

Protein in Fruit: Apple, banana, cantaloupe, grape, grapefruit, honeydew melon, orange, papaya, peach, pear, pineapple, dtrawberry, yangerine, eatermelon
    Hemp Protein

Protein in Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, cashews, filberts, hemp seeds, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, walnuts (black)

One excellent ingredient to look for is hemp seed protein. Hemp seed is an nutritious dietary source of easily digestible gluten-free protein. It provides a well-balanced array of all the amino acids, including 34.6 grams of protein for each 100 grams. The fatty acid profile of the hemp seed is extremely beneficial, containing omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids in a virtually ideal ratio. Other beneficial aspects of hemp seed include a strongly favorable unsaturated-to-saturated fat ratio; a high content of antioxidants; and a wide variety of vitamins and minerals.

Additionally, super green foods provide an excellent source of protein (70% in some cases).

Source: http://www.happycow.net/vegetarian_protein.html

Also found some good info on celiac disease diets here:

http://www.celiact.com/blog/2011/04/14/23-celiac-diet-and-nutritious-gluten-free-eating

I hope this helps you out! I definitely support adding food, even though you are worried. I have some friends with celiac disease and it really is no laughing matter. It can be combined with a soy and dairy allergy as well, so I hope you don't have that to contend with as well. More power to you for reaching out to the community. People here want to help, so often check profiles for food diaries so they can give hints and tips about where to make changes, so be aware that it may not be the vindictive profile snooping you worry it could be.

I wish you all the best!
  • Nikiki
    Nikiki Posts: 993
    Options
    for the macros I do know that it can vary depending on the type of activity you do. Someone more into strength training will need a different macro mix than a runner. I try for 50/25/25 (carbs/protein/fat) but am frequently a little higher on fats, usually closer to 30%. I adjust my protein/carb levels depending on my activity that day, if I'm going heavy on cardio I up the carb content and when its a mostly strength day I up the protein.

As for complete proteins I am totally clueless on that but it looks like there are some interesting articles posted that I'll be checking out later :)
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I agree too, but what is a balanced diet? Is a 55/30/15 balanced? Or is a 40/30/30? Or is a 70/10/20? Or is a 50/25/25? The point is, what is the proper balance?

Any of those frankly. Ok maybe 70/10/20 is a little out of whack, but it won't necessarily screw you up, especially if you just so happen to like to eat that way.
    Also, since I don't believe in the "if it fits my calories" motto, what should I eat?

That's too bad. Change your mind.
    Look, being given wrong information by my parents growing up, and having people realize that I am easily swayed and impressionable, I have to get all the information correct so I know what I'm doing. This isn't easy for me though because I am overly trusting. I know you think I'm over thinking this, but have you ever considered that you're underthinking it?

No. I used to overthink things. I worried about a lot of things that didn't really matter and did a lot of things that didn't really matter. Now I take a more laid back approach. I'm in excellent shape. I'm at the strongest I've been in my life and nearly the leanest (last summer I was a little bit leaner). Next week I will be stronger still.

Underthinking it? Not yet. I try to think less and less about things so I can get back to a regular life. Even counting calories, is arguably "overthinking it", although I am not ready to give that up yet.

Look, overthinking things isn't going to screw you up necessarily. It's just a waste of effort to split hairs like this. Keep it simple. Succeed.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Here are some examples of vegetarian foods with high sources of plant protein:

Protein in Legume: Garbanzo beans, kidney beans, lentils, lima beans, navy beans, soybeans, split peas

Protein in Grain: Barley, brown rice, buckwheat, millet, oatmeal, ouinoa, rye, wheat germ, wheat, wild rice

Vegetable Protein: Artichokes, beets, broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, cucumbers, eggplant, green peas, green pepper, kale, lettuce, mushroom, mustard green, onions, potatoes, spinach, tomatoes, turnip greens, watercress, yams, zucchini

Protein in Fruit: Apple, banana, cantaloupe, grape, grapefruit, honeydew melon, orange, papaya, peach, pear, pineapple, dtrawberry, yangerine, eatermelon
    Hemp Protein

Protein in Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, cashews, filberts, hemp seeds, peanuts, pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, walnuts (black)

One excellent ingredient to look for is hemp seed protein. Hemp seed is an nutritious dietary source of easily digestible gluten-free protein. It provides a well-balanced array of all the amino acids, including 34.6 grams of protein for each 100 grams. The fatty acid profile of the hemp seed is extremely beneficial, containing omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids in a virtually ideal ratio. Other beneficial aspects of hemp seed include a strongly favorable unsaturated-to-saturated fat ratio; a high content of antioxidants; and a wide variety of vitamins and minerals.

Additionally, super green foods provide an excellent source of protein (70% in some cases).

Source: http://www.happycow.net/vegetarian_protein.html

Also found some good info on celiac disease diets here:

http://www.celiact.com/blog/2011/04/14/23-celiac-diet-and-nutritious-gluten-free-eating

I hope this helps you out! I definitely support adding food, even though you are worried. I have some friends with celiac disease and it really is no laughing matter. It can be combined with a soy and dairy allergy as well, so I hope you don't have that to contend with as well. More power to you for reaching out to the community. People here want to help, so often check profiles for food diaries so they can give hints and tips about where to make changes, so be aware that it may not be the vindictive profile snooping you worry it could be.

I wish you all the best!
    Wow, thanks for posting all this!
  • mermer45
    mermer45 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    You need to be careful on your thinking about Fats. It's not so simple - and the health and food industry are notorious at exploiting this.

What you certainly want to stay away from is hydrogenated (trans) fats - these are possibly the most dangerous.

There are many fats that are saturated that seem to have health benefits - such as Coconut oil, which has high quantities of lauric acid and is composed of medium-chain triglycerides (as opposed to long-chain), which means it is easily absorbed and metabolized by the body.

When it comes to cooking oils you also need to think about how they are stored and the temperature that you cook - otherwise the characteristics of the oil can change.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    No. I used to overthink things. I worried about a lot of things that didn't really matter and did a lot of things that didn't really matter. Now I take a more laid back approach. I'm in excellent shape. I'm at the strongest I've been in my life and nearly the leanest (last summer I was a little bit leaner). Next week I will be stronger still.

Underthinking it? Not yet. I try to think less and less about things so I can get back to a regular life. Even counting calories, is arguably "overthinking it", although I am not ready to give that up yet.

Look, overthinking things isn't going to screw you up necessarily. It's just a waste of effort to split hairs like this. Keep it simple. Succeed.

Must be nice to have self confidence. Everyone tells me I'm an idiot, good for nothing, and I don't "think before I act". The one time I finally put my mind to something to try to understand it to it's entirety, people tell me to be more lax and carefree..... Which is it? Am I an impulsive, careless, mindless, idiot who makes constant poor decisions? Or am I an overthinker who cares too much about the stuff that doesn't matter who is petrified to make ANY decisions?

le sigh. You try being a HSP for a day. I wish this was a "disease" that I could spread; but apparently the only way to get this temperament is genetics... I don't hate being HSP because I love that I'm eccentric and unique; but I hate that people expect me to behave and think like a normal man...

But thank you for your help nonetheless; you just have to know that I'm not going to relax over this. I will ask another 400 questions on here until I fully understand what I'm supposed to do. Sorry to be a nuisance... :(
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options

I

We don't know his height plus his goal is 145 so that may not be so low when you're looking to lose even as a guy, just tossing that out there.

Learning new things on this thread, appreciate all the input!

Thank you for defending me. It's sad that I posted a question to get information and they spent more time looking at my profile than answering the question... :frown:
    No problem :):flowerforyou: I've actually been enjoying your posts, been learning a lot and when others jump in to share positive data it helps me as well!

Negative posts, not sure any of us gain much out of those... http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/738814-what-makes-you-ugly
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    You need to be careful on your thinking about Fats. It's not so simple - and the health and food industry are notorious at exploiting this.

What you certainly want to stay away from is hydrogenated (trans) fats - these are possibly the most dangerous.

There are many fats that are saturated that seem to have health benefits - such as Coconut oil, which has high quantities of lauric acid and is composed of medium-chain triglycerides (as opposed to long-chain), which means it is easily absorbed and metabolized by the body.

When it comes to cooking oils you also need to think about how they are stored and the temperature that you cook - otherwise the characteristics of the oil can change.

Thank you for your input. I also read that "hydrogenated" ingredients adds Trans Fats despite claiming they have 0. For this reason I use only canola oil, extra virgin olive oil, and flaxseed oil. All of them have poly and mono unsaturated fats and seem to have no mutated ingredients (as far as I can tell anyways).