Celebrating Weight Loss When You're Still Over 300 lbs?

Options

Replies

• Yana150
    Yana150 Posts: 226
    Options
    I felt this way for like 2 minutes when I went from the 300's to 280s...then I smacked myself. LOL! It's your accomplishment - celebrate it! Keep dancing, keep smiling, and keep telling the world about your success. You're not only celebrating yourself, you're inspiring someone else - someone like me! :)
  • PrettyGirlPayton
    PrettyGirlPayton Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with celebrating.You have almost lost 40 pounds.... You damn right that's something to be happy about..Celebrate until you work your way down to your weight goal..Then celebrate then... Keep up the good work!
  • jennielson21
    Options
    GREAT JOB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One thing I want to share with you, I was told at a weight watchers meeting a few years ago and it stuck with me ever since. If you think, 'wow, i havent lost much weight' go to the grocery store and look at the weight you've lost in butter or potatoes! Even losing 5 lbs, look at 5 lbs of butter or try picking up a 5 lb bag of potatoes, it really brings home the true value of the weight you've lost!
    Who cares if you weigh over 300 lbs! Your making the steps to get healthier and your way down. Rome wasnt built in a day, and your weight wont drop to your goal over night either!!!
    Keep up the good work!!!

Jen:smile:
  • drcortez05
    Options
    I totally understand! I feel the exact same way. I'm very proud of the progress that I've made. But, it's hard not to be disappointed or frustrated in myself for get to this weight in the first place.

I'm trying t o avoid feeling that way by focusing on the positives. The bad news is that I weighed over 300 pounds. The good news is that with every pound I lose the further I get away from the weight I started at, never to return.

It's totally ok for us to celebrate every single pound we lose, as a matter of fact it's crucial in us staying positive and motivated!
  • maggamooo
    Options
    Celebrate! We all celebrate with you and are happy for you. YOu can't focus on your current weight. That will bring you down. Instead loo at yourloss. Every week you loose is worth celebrating. And if you hapen to not loose one week, focus on inches or victories. Keep your head up! You are doing great! This is hard work. Mentally, emotionally, and physically. You can do this!
  • Ms921
    Ms921 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Dance, jump, do a cartwheel !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! you lost 37 pounds!!! you deserve it. Don't be so hard on yourself be your own cheerleader :smile: When i started a year and a half ago i started at 265 & i felt the same way as you but no more ! i celebrated every inch till i reached 186 and will continue to do so till i reach my goal ! Great job, keep it up !
  • lizbetincharge
    Options
    Keep up the good work! It doesn't matter that your over 300lbs what matters is that your doing something about loosing weight and you are, so congrats and keep celebrating every lost lb.

I've been working out hard into my 2nd week and haven't lost 1lb yet : (
  • MrsLehman24
    MrsLehman24 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    It took me a year to lose 37 pounds. You are doing GREAT. Be proud of your accomplishments always :)
  • littlewitch1973
    Options
    I have had those days too - especially earlier in my journey. I would be thinking "Wow! I can wear a smaller size!! AWESOME!" And the next day, look in the mirror and go "What were you thinking??? Your still huge!"

Believe it or not - I still go thru that - after almost 150 pounds gone. It still comes back, and makes me feel terrible. Yes, I went from 400.8 to 252.2, but WTH? I still look big. BUT - I FEEL GREAT!!! I can run, walk, do Insanity, lift, carry heavy things upstairs... I can play with my kids and not be sitting on the couch now. I can fit into chairs again without worrying about breaking them (okay - I still worry about breaking them, but not as much!).

The head issues will happen. When those days happen now, I avoid mirrors. I work out extra long. I walk more. I push more. Those days got me where I am today. Seriously - the days I couldnt stand the sight of myself got me where I am today. It pushed me to work out more. To take an extra walk at night. I wanted the change, and was determined to make it happen - by any means necessary.

Today, I wear a size 18-20, which to some people is huge - but to me, its an accomplishment. I have lose almost half of me. My Blood pressure is normal. I dont have heel spurs anymore. I am not always in pain. I live life and enjoy every aspect of it!!

Allow these days to be your motivator - realize that the change is happening - slowly, but its happening, and you are in control of it. You can do it - I believe in you.
  • Casey45
    Casey45 Posts: 160 Member
    Options

You're not celebrating being morbidly obese or being over 300lbs. You're celebrating the success you've had thus far, and that you're that much closer to NOT being morbidly obese. Stop discounting what you've accomplished just because it isn't as much as you still have left to do. Go pick up a 40lb weight and carry it around for a while. I'm betting you'll get worn out pretty quickly. That's how much less weight you're carrying than you were when you started. THAT'S what you're celebrating and you have every reason to.

THIS is a great way to gain perspective.

I'd say by now you can consider yourself well and truely (albeit only VIRTUALLY) smacked!

With such a big overall weight loss goal to reach, I say set up mini-goals, and celebrate each one!!!!
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Yes...but you are on here doing something about it. One day on here it will say 200 and something. A for effort and way to take control!
  • fellowsrachel
    Options
    You should celebrate every day you continue to reach your goal. Do a happy dance every day you're awesome!

Not sure how many calories you burn doing the happy dance... need to look into that :laugh:
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Someone smack some sense into me. Please. :)

I'll smack some sense into you: You lost 37 pounds. Celebrate it. You are continuing to lose. Celebrate that. Assuming you have been losing through healthy eating and exercise, be proud of yourself for developing good habits.

When I was at my heaviest (around 260), I used to think it was pointless to try to lose weight, because even if I lost 50 pounds, I'd still be 50 pounds overweight. Now that I have lost 50 pounds, I realize that I was wrong. I feel so much better at 205 then I did at 260 and I have much better habits. Even if I don't lose another ounce, I am so much better off and I am happy about it. Even if you don't lose another ounce, you are still 37 pounds better off (that's 10% of the weight you started at by the way, hardly a minor loss).
    DITTO I'm so impressed and proud of you sure is more than this 212 pound lady has lost. You Go Girl - Do a Happy Dance
  • Sweetpea64
    Sweetpea64 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    YOU ARE DOING AN AMAZING JOB!!! CELEBRATE!!!

It is about the cup being half full or half empty. I have to remind myself
    all the time that, even though others don't see my progress, it is happening
    and that I have lost the equivalent of a HUGE 22 lb turkey! Or 4 5# bags of potatoes,
    or a good size bag of dog food. All of which I am glad to not carry around with me
    every day. It is a frustratingly slow journey sometimes, but every step you go forward
    gets you farther from where you were. Be proud! And celebrate openly, and I will
    try to take my own advice. :0)
  • BrittanyKxo
    Options
    You have every right to celebrate. Every day that the scale even moves down an ounce you should be PROUD of yourself for the progresses you are making!
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Better than where you started. Celebrate and motivate yourself to keep pushing. Every loss contributes to the goal.
  • queendeej
    queendeej Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    No. I never feel this way because I know that any move in the right direction is worth celebrating! Deep down you know this too.

Consider yourself smacked ;)

So now I feel kind of stupid, dancing around and proclaiming to the world that I'm 319 pounds.

Does anyone else feel this way sometimes? If I saw a friend celebrating a weight loss, I'd feel happy for them *regardless* of what they weigh (a loss is a loss), but now I'm feeling sort of self-conscious about celebrating since I'm still so heavy.

Someone smack some sense into me. Please. :)
  • stardancer7
    stardancer7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    S M A C K !

Celebrate, celebrate, dance to the music.....wow look what you've done!
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,784 Member
    Options
    I finally weigh under 300 for the first time in years and I mean years. I celebrate. I do a happy dance with every lb gone from my body. I celebrate every time I exercise. Bask in your loss, enjoy feeling good. If you can't enjoy it then your not gonna do well at this and I fear give up, that's what happens when you stop losing and being happy. Don't ever stop
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    If you don't celebrate the little victories...you will completely miss the big ones...

you've worked hard...that's something to be proud of...don't belittle it...

celebrating it is key.