Would You be Willing to Wake Up This Early?

Options
Okay, I'm realizing that in order for me to get at least one workout in I may need to wake up an hour earlier than I already do.
Wake up time to start getting ready for work is 6am, and I like to think that I can get at least a half or hour long run in the morning. So 4:45am wakeup. Does this seem unrealistic or am I just over thinking things?

follow Up**

How are you guys gearing up for the cooler weather? I'm starting to wake up to +5-7 degrees celsius, at this point I can only really afford to layer yoga capris under my baggy basketball shorts and a tee shirt over a long-sleeve shirt... What do you do?

Replies

• vendygirl
    vendygirl Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4:45 3xs a week, M,W,F to get my workout in. I won't lie it can be tough some days but then you are done with your workout for the day.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    I get up at 4:30 a couple days a week. You'll get used to it.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    On a normal day, I get up at 5 AM to run, but I've gotten up at 4:30 to run when my husband had to go into work early. And I work with a guy who gets up at 4:30 every day to run. So nope...I don't think 4:45 is unrealistic....
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I am up between 5-5:30 to run every day. You can do it.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'm realizing that in order for me to get at least one workout in I may need to wake up an hour earlier than I already do.
    Wake up time to start getting ready for work is 6am, and I like to think that I can get at least a half or hour long run in the morning. So 4:45am wakeup. Does this seem unrealistic or am I just over thinking things?

I think you'll find that there are a whole lot of us here at MFP that do just that. Some (like me) out of choice, others out of necessity. In any case welcome to the world of earlybird running! (You'll probably really enjoy it - the world is very peaceful at 5:00AM, very little traffic to contend with, I love it.)
  • Heitor70
    Heitor70 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hi! I wake up at 4:30 AM in order to run and then begin the day. Gradually, I think, you end up going to bed earlier until the 4:30 AM doesn't seem so bad. Hang in there and give your body some time to adjust, it will!
  • brian90
    brian90 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    nothing wrong with that. early morning workouts rock. it wil lbe hard at first, but you wil ladjust.
  • Stenobun
    Stenobun Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I wake up at 4:30 so I can be out walking by 5 to walk an hour before getting ready for work. It can be done.
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Go to bed an hour earlier to compensate and it should be fine
  • bethygirlie
    bethygirlie Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I work nights so my 4:45 am is 2:45pm. and I do it....although some days I wish I could sleep until 4 or 5.
  • BetterCrazyThanLazy
    Options
    I get up at 4:20 am 3 times a week. Sometimes 4 am if I have to get to the gym by 5 am PT session.
  • Runs4Wine
    Runs4Wine Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    It's realistic in my world. I get up at 4:30 2-3 days a week for a run and the rest of the week I'm up at 5am. Currently I'm waking up before my alarm goes off, so it has become second nature.
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    My alarm goes off at 3:45 in the morning. I get up at about 5 after. Then stumble my way into some clothes and the dog into a leash to go for a morning walk (used to be intervals before I started a running class) at 4:30 am. So nope not unreasonalbe. but then i live in the desert so 4:30 am is the only time its relatively cool too. Mon - Fri. I do allow myself to sleep in on the weekends.
  • HeinzPrincess
    Options
    Would I be willing to? No. I exercise at night. Love the concept of morning exercise but night makes me happiest!
  • JenniferRT66
    JenniferRT66 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    That's about when I get up and work out too!! I need time to wake up before I work out, so I usually read for a little until 5:15/5:30 - then work out for an hour or so.
  • yarinathan
    yarinathan Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Hi sounds like a pretty normal day...I wake up at 4:30am prep my husband's meals while drinking a preworkout drink then I am off to the living room for some TurboFire...It's the only time I have to get a workout uninterrupted.
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    I think it's a great idea. Mornings are wonderful and I always feel good if I workout in the morning. But I'm awful...I'm a night owl. I stay up at night after the kids go to bed to get things done and see my husband. So I don't get up early in the morning.
  • n_unocero
    n_unocero Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    not gonna lie...it sucks the first couple days, but you're body will get used to it. =)
  • SassyCalyGirl
    SassyCalyGirl Posts: 1,932 Member
    Options
    when I worked- I set my alarm for 4:45 and hit the pavement at 5am for an hour run (every day).
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I think that would flip-flop my sleep schedule. But then again, I'm naturally nocturnal and have to fight to wake up before 7. Try putting your alarm clock where you have to get up to get to it. Then do some jumping jacks, lunges, etc. It gets the blood flowing and wakes you up a bit better.