Deliberate Sabotage

Options
Effpcos
Effpcos Posts: 350 Member
So, what are some of your experiences of people (friends, family) etc who have deliberately done something to make you stumble on your diet/ weightloss (or anything else)? And how did you "fight" back?

Last month I caught a friend putting a sugar and a heap of whole milk into my coffee (and not her own). I drunk it (she didn't know I'd seen her) but then did extra exercise that day, so nyanyanayah at her, lol. And lately she's been putting junky food down on the table in front of me when I visit, I just don't eat it (thankfully she doesn't know what my fave snacks are!).

My ex used to try to make me late for work, he was quite a jealous person, and I was a young attractive barmaid, lol. He'd hide my keys or my shoes. I started hiding spares of stuff for when he did. That relationship ended very spectacularly!

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    I slap those people, across the face.
  • sarahkatara
    sarahkatara Posts: 826 Member
    Options
    I'd have to say that she sounds very vindictive, petty, and incredibly inconsiderate and presumptious. Is she really someone you can call a "friend"? I'm sorry, I don't mean that to be rude but I've never heard of someone doing something like that! Confront her!
  • maparis
    maparis Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This person isn't your friend...
  • subcult
    subcult Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Never ever had to experience this type of behavor I'm sorry you have. However I do now have the "sabotage" song stuck in my head.
  • virichi08
    virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    OMG... SOUNDS VEEEEEEEEEERY TRIFLING... I THNK U NEED NEW FRIENDS.
  • gimpygramma
    gimpygramma Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Maybe it's time for another relationship to end "spectacularly" or not....it needn't be dramatic but it is a relationship that probably needs to end.
  • LuckyTerrier
    LuckyTerrier Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Putting sugar in someone else's coffee is not normal behavior. I've had people tempt me with junk food (mostly to make themselves feel better for indulging), but I've never seen anything like this. Your "friend' is crazy and I suggest distancing yourself or at least avoiding any foods prepared by her.
  • tajmel
    tajmel Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    My husband does that. He brings home things I love to "treat" me, offers to take me out to eat so we can have more 'us' time, offers me bites of his food... etc etc. Sometimes I think it's deliberate sabotage, sometimes I think he's just struggling to adapt. I'm really very bad at saying no, especially when I think someone's trying to be kind, so it's difficult.

Your friend, on the other hand, sounds like a jealous *kitten*! Or maybe she just wanted to make your coffee for you... who knows?
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 13,096 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised by how many times people persistently offer snack foods that I've declined. Sabotage? Hard to say. My solution is to tell people that one of the reasons I've lost weight is being disciplined about my food choices... and while I appreciate their hospitality, I would appreciate it more if they desisted. Delivered politely, of course.
  • chefsmash
    chefsmash Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Whoever that person is that did that is not a friend... how awful and pathetic! And just MEAN! Would he/she do that to a diabetic or someone who had an allergy? I can't get over people these days.

Anyway, I wouldn't have taken the coffee. I would have just gotten up and said "Excuse me, I need to get a new coffee. This one's been tampered with" and then shot the person a look that could kill.
  • caritiger
    caritiger Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    This person is not being a true friend, not at all. If she were really your friend, she would be supporting and encouraging you, not working against your goals.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    During my 1st few months my 20 year old daughter brought home every junky and fast food thing home in a 20 mile radius, placed it on the table in front of Me. Haa ha ha when I lost 30 lbs she finally decided to join mfp as well ! As for hubbys junk food addiction and always having peanut butter cups sitting all over my house ( which happens to be my absolute favorite candy ) I have learned to ignore it, he now makes my fruit smoothies every morning.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Why didn't you confront her? You could have politely asked her if she was confused about what you wanted in your coffee.
  • PiggySweet
    PiggySweet Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    my parents are constantly trying to get me to eat junk food. I think they just like telling me that i'm fat, because they do it alot.
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    OH everytime I say I'm watching what I eat, etc. people start showing up with chocolate cake and cookies and all that crap. I just say "NO THANKS" and walk away.......... I don't feel obligated at all to eat it.
  • Brendajo510
    Options
    Who needs friends when you have enemies...

Now, if you were looking extremely underweight, then I could possibly see trying to get you to have more calories. But no one should "spike" your food or drinks, wheres the trust?

I do believe some people can be envious and some people will feel like you've changed (not just physically, but personality wise), but it shows you little respect to do that to your food in an obviously deliberate move.

Honestly, when I say "no" to something (most recent was free cupcakes at work), I feel better about doing it. I feel like this time I'm going to actually keep this up. I feel the motivation. Now, when I smelled cookies baking in the over at work today... I was just glad no one was there offering them out because that would have taken a lot of will power to say no. Mmmm cookies.
  • Effpcos
    Options
    Our friendship is ok in other areas, I think she's just a bit competitive!
    She's struggling big time with losing weight, but then again she hasn't really tried and always has an excuse for why anything I do won't work for her.
    But yes I have been avoiding her lately, which is a shame.
  • PaleoRDH
    Options
    my parents are constantly trying to get me to eat junk food. I think they just like telling me that i'm fat, because they do it alot.

AWW that makes me so sad!!! I think you're super cute, I wish they wouldn't do that to you...... :noway:
  • Effpcos
    Options
    Why didn't you confront her? You could have politely asked her if she was confused about what you wanted in your coffee.

I wouldn't have the guts to do that, :embarassed: , guess I was a bit hurt too.
  • Culley34
    Options
    If someone touches or alters my food, I cut their face.