The Ketosis Diet - Any opinions?

Options
I've recently heard about the ketosis diet (a friend of a friend's apparently lost 30 lbs on it in 4 months).

The basic idea is that you cut out almost all carbs (50gram daily allowance maximum) and focus on protein and good fats. This is supposed to put your body into a state of ketosis, where your body stops burning carbs for energy (because there is none) and starts burning fat while not reducing muscle at all.

Has anybody been on this diet, or know anyone who has been on it? If you have, please give your experiences on it:
Did it work for you?
Were you able to exercise while on it?

I am thinking of trying it out and I am curious to hear from someone who has first hand knowledge

Replies

• fueledbychange
    fueledbychange Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I don't think this is a very good idea if you plan on exercising.
    I have never tried it myself, so I can't speak from experience or anything, but if you plan on doing this I think you should be really careful! At the first sign of anything negative, take a step back. And good luck.
    Whatever works for you is what you should do.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    I have lost a lot of weight, but find my weight stalls if my carbs creep up. I find 100 carbs to 120 is fine. Don't think you necessarily need to go to 50 or less. Try around 100. More balanced and if it works you haven't had to go too extreme. I I'm also zigzagging between 1300 to 1500 calories, with one day at 1600. I shoot for 120g protein. 4.1lbs gone just in the last 3 days. Know this will be lot if water but I'm always successful when I stick around this ball park. The good luck x
  • chinatbag
    chinatbag Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    First hand experience here, it's pretty easy to stay on because you feel full. But don't get into the habit of not eating vegetables. You'll also want to read all labels, stay away from trans fats.

Fats from meat aren't necessarily bad, they help with raising HDL and lowering LDL, given that you eat them in moderation. I'm sure there are a ton of keto-ers here that could help explain it in more depth and along with working out.
  • lsirelan
    lsirelan Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    The ketosis diet puts the body in an acidic state. Acidic states not only take the body out of it's natural balance, they have been linked to inflammation and cancer. I would not recommend it as a long term option.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    Also I'm fine working out at this level... And I work out hard!!! X
  • vytamindi
    vytamindi Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    Been doing keto since May! It's working! I was too lazy to exercise for most of it, but I thought I'd try to do C25K and it's been lots of fun!

Lots of good advice in this thread already for OP. Eat veggies, drink water, and try to stay away from processed foods (like Atkins bars...*shudder*)... just like any other healthy dietary change!

Best of luck, and if you need a keto buddy, feel free to add me!
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It doesnt provide better results long term than just eating a basic calorie deficit. Just eat a high protein, moderate carb and fat diet.
  • TheDreadPirateRoberts
    Options
    Morbidly obese friend of mine was on this diet recently. He sung its praises and did appear to be losing a lot of weight. However, he ended up in intensive care with heart and lung failure (came close to dying), which the doctors attributed to his diet. He is now out of hospital and is no longer following this "diet".

Read up on it yourself (via proper websites and not "health websites") and decide for yourself if you think its a good idea. On this website you will get a lot of differing opinions from people, most of whom have no qualifications or in depth knowledge of the subject (myself included). Also, speak to your doctor... those people actually ARE experts on the human body.
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Lighter Life focus on this.....as a result there have been people who have had to have gall bladders removed due to following it. I think I'd steer clear.....
  • vytamindi
    Options
    Read up on it yourself (via proper websites and not "health websites") and decide for yourself if you think its a good idea. On this website you will get a lot of differing opinions from people, most of whom have no qualifications or in depth knowledge of the subject (myself included). Also, speak to your doctor... those people actually ARE experts on the human body.

^This^ If you're diabetic or have thyroid issues, keto (and the quick initial weight drop that sometimes comes along with it) can exacerbate underlying health issues. Always make sure you run it by him/her, that way you can also get initial blood work to see how well it improves if he/she gives you the OK to start your new lifestyle.
  • chinatbag
    Options
    The ketosis diet puts the body in an acidic state. Acidic states not only take the body out of it's natural balance, they have been linked to inflammation and cancer. I would not recommend it as a long term option.

Not entirely true. There's ketosis and there's ketoacidosis (this is dangerous).
  • chinatbag
    Options

^This^ If you're diabetic or have thyroid issues, keto (and the quick initial weight drop that sometimes comes along with it) can exacerbate underlying health issues. Always make sure you run it by him/her, that way you can also get initial blood work to see how well it improves if he/she gives you the OK to start your new lifestyle.

I'd recommend talking to a nutritionist and a doctor.

However, there are peer reviewed medical journals concerning the issue with low carbohydrate diets and patients who are type 2 diabetics. It is a viable option for dieting, as it can result in better glycemic control.
  • lilteepot
    Options
    Also known as the Atkins diet. And "tricking" your body into losing weight is never a good way to lose weight and keep it off. Unfortunately, I know this from experience. If you want to eat low carb, then set your own personal goals on MFP, and keep the carb goal low.

Ask yourself: Do you want to lose weight or do you want to be healthy? Because being healthy is about balance. And tricking your body isn't balanced.

And talk to your doctor, as previously suggested.
  • vytamindi
    Options

I'd recommend talking to a nutritionist and a doctor.

However, there are peer reviewed medical journals concerning the issue with low carbohydrate diets and patients who are type 2 diabetics. It is a viable option for dieting, as it can result in better glycemic control.

Yup! There are lots of stories of how those with type 2 are doing so well on a ketogenic diet. It may not completely reverse it, but it can help immensely!

ETA:

And another thing, OP. It may not work for you. Give it a few weeks, though. It took me two to get in my stride and then make the decision to stay or try something else.

If it works, fantastic! If it doesn't, I wish you the best of luck in finding something that does.
  • chinatbag
    Options
    Also known as the Atkins diet. And "tricking" your body into losing weight is never a good way to lose weight and keep it off. Unfortunately, I know this from experience. If you want to eat low carb, then set your own personal goals on MFP, and keep the carb goal low.

Ask yourself: Do you want to lose weight or do you want to be healthy? Because being healthy is about balance. And tricking your body isn't balanced.

And talk to your doctor, as previously suggested.

No, sorry, this is not entirely correct.

It is NOT the Atkin's diet, it is similar, but it is NOT the Atkin's diet. Keto is based on proportions of eating more fats, moderate protein, and low carbohydrates. Your body ISN'T tricked, it seeks out usable energy, since there are less carbohydrates floating around, the body goes into lipolysis, hence, ketogenesis, as ketones are the waste products of lipolysis.

Is it a healthy balance? It's still undetermined. What we do know is that it can help with lipid profiles, it will raise HDLs and should lower LDLs. A Low-Fat diet does not do this, it will keep the ratio of HDL/LDL the same.

Edit: forgot to add, EAT YOUR VEGETABLES, seriously. Or else you'll become constipated.
  • nzmegs
    nzmegs Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    There are many people on this forum who are not informed on ketosis. I recommend it for weight loss, heart health, diabetes control and avoidance and most of all - you just feel better and can stick to it long term. Please please please do some serious research. it is very healthy and involves eating high fat, moderate protein and very low carbs. You will have greater appetite management and will have greatly reduced insulin levels. As we all know insulin is the fat hormone (you guys know this, right?) and insulin comes from carbs.

Ketosis doesn't trick your body into anything. other than restoring it to what it was always meant to be. think about how long we have been eating refined carbs and how the levels of obesity have increased. the connection is not an accident. even unrefined carbs have only been eaten for a relatively short period of time.

I have been eating this way for many months and have never gone back to sugar or carbs. I feel relaxed around food, free from all cravings and my diet is easy to stick to. I lost 50 pounds and have maintained it for six months.
  • nzmegs
    nzmegs Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Lighter Life focus on this.....as a result there have been people who have had to have gall bladders removed due to following it. I think I'd steer clear.....

gallbladder disease is caused by a lack of fat in the diet - leading to the gallbladder not being stimulated often enough to produce enough bile to wash away cholesterol deposits (which are perfectly normal and healthy).

Anyone on a low fat diet and loses weight is chancing gall bladder disease (I know because I had mine out after a long period of time on a low fat diet).

I like Lighter Life, but it is low fat (as well as being ketogenic) and this is the likely reason it could lead to increased chance of gall bladder disease. but most diets are low fat and could result in this outcome - choose a high fat diet and you won't have this issue. Our bodies are designed to exist on a diet high in saturated fats.

Once again - gall bladder disease is new and started to become prevalent when low fat diets were introduced in the 1970's.
  • TXHunny84
    TXHunny84 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Ketosis and the Paleo diet are pretty similar I think....Lots of protein and healthy fat and low carb and nothing processed or man-made. So like- if the cavemen wouldn't have eaten it ( bread, dairy, sugars) you don't eat it either. That's God's original diet for the human body....He didn't make bread man did....we really shouldn't eat it. Etc...
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Ketosis and the Paleo diet are pretty similar I think....Lots of protein and healthy fat and low carb and nothing processed or man-made. So like- if the cavemen wouldn't have eaten it ( bread, dairy, sugars) you don't eat it either. That's God's original diet for the human body....He didn't make bread man did....we really shouldn't eat it. Etc...

In my opinion, I would not consider Paleo low carb. You can easily get over 30-40% of your carbs from fruits and veggies.
  • leftoverbun
    leftoverbun Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have been in ketosis for 10 months now, lost almost 100 pounds, and have had a host of non-weight related improvements. For me, it's been a godsend.

I do gentle exercise 4-5 days a week, and have had no issues. I have more energy than ever.