asparagus

Replies

• wrap it in proscuitto and grill it. super yum!
  • Jkmumma
    Jkmumma Posts: 254
    Just as an interesting, even if a bit gross tidbit of info...

The microscopic particles in Asparagus that your kidneys flush into your urine look exactly like a bacterial infection in your urine the next day, when viewed under a microscope.

How do I know this crazy fact: When you're learning to do lab work as a hospital corpsman, the easiest samples to learn on, when there aren't others available, are your own samples. I TOTALLY peed in a cup to run all the possible urine tests I had to learn about on it. The pathologist mentioned that offhand, and out of curiosity, scientist nature that I am, went home, ate asparagus, and did it again the next day *LOL* ITS TRUE! NOT JUST SOMETHING YOU HEAR I got the chance to try it!
  • belladonna786
    belladonna786 Posts: 1,165 Member
    I love to fry it up in a little bit of olive oil and garlic and salt. Soooo good!
  • take a few stalks, wrap em in bacon and bake them @ 350 for a while :) good stuff!
  • laurenleighlugo
    laurenleighlugo Posts: 21 Member
    Sauteed then steamed! My favorite way to eat them... put some spay butter and garlic on it as you cook. :)
  • KLo924
    KLo924 Posts: 379 Member
    Grilled after it's tossed with a little olive oil and sea salt is my fav!! (and cracked pepper after grilled).

I also love it steamed - I put it vertical in a coffee mug with water in the bottom and microwave that for a couple minutes; that way the thicker part gets cooked more :) Then I eat it as is, or anywhere I would put broccoli - on baked potato, in pastas, with rice, in stir frys, etc.

Before I went vegan I used to steam asparagus part way and then put it in the oven with a little parmesan (or other funky hard cheese) until melted. YUM!

*edit - I've never timed how long I grill them, and it varies depending on how thick they are. I just do it until I can poke them and they seem the right texture :) ...less than 10 min. for sure on med. heat
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    grilled with pepper or fried in butter with bacon *drools*
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    boiled/steamed i find icky and was the only way i had tried it for years...
    but now i love it! i do it in a griddle pan with salt, pepper and lemon juice drizzled over it mmmm!
    wish we were other end of the year and it was back in season :(
    x
  • healthylifeforme
    healthylifeforme Posts: 156 Member
    Roasted! Brush with olive oil, a bit of garlic salt, and a little bit of pepper. Roast on 450 degrees for about 15-20 mins. I use Pam cooking spray in the bottom us my pan and cover the pan with foil. So yummy!
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Cook in a pan - melt a tiny bit of butter, add the juice of half a lemon, and cook for about 10 mins.

Steam, for plain and simple - about 10 minutes.

Stirfry, with other veg.

Added raw to a risotto, and cooked for 10 mins or so.

In a quiche - added raw and baked.

Or my fave - wrap bundles (3-5 spears) in a slice of parma/serrano ham, brush with lemon, walnut or sesame oil, and roast about 15 mins.

It's only in season here for about 6 weeks, but I eat it pretty much every day of that time!
  • Roasted or grilled with a little olive oil and shallot pepper.
  • Linda_Darlene
    Linda_Darlene Posts: 453 Member
    Grillings the way to go
    how lont do you grill it for?

Same for grilling, steaming, broiling and saute: just until it not too crunchy for you!
  • uubulldawg06
    uubulldawg06 Posts: 102 Member
    Roasted! Drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt (if you aren't restricting sodium). Roast at 450 until it's bright green and tender yet a little crisp. Make sure you clean it properly. If you don't take enough off of the stem end, it will be tough and nasty. I usually just grab one end in each hand and bend each piece until it snaps. There is a lot of waste that way, but you also won't get that nasty stuff that you can't chew. Enjoy!!!

I clean it this way also. I save the ends and use them in stocks.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    We enjoy roasted asparagus. I also have a cherry tomato and asparagus salad recipe that is delicious. Here it is in case you'd like to try it. I usually omit the parmesan cheese; I don't think it's necessary.

Balsamic Asparagus and Cherry Tomato Salad

POINTS® Value: 0
    Servings:  4
    Preparation Time:  10 min
    Cooking Time:  0 min
    Level of Difficulty:  Easy

Ingredients
    · 1 1/2 pound asparagus, (about 40 spears)
    · 1 cup cherry tomato(es), about 10, cut in half
    · 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
    · 2 tsp orange juice
    · 1 tsp minced garlic
    · 2 Tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
    · 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
    · 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
    Instructions
    · Chop woody ends off asparagus. Microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, or cook in boiling, salted water until barely tender, about 4 to 6 minutes.
    · Plunge into ice water to stop cooking. Drain. Add cherry tomatoes.
    · Stir together vinegar, orange juice and garlic; season to taste. Spoon dressing over asparagus and tomatoes.
    · Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,863 Member
    thanks everyone, im for sure going to either roast or grill it, probably with olive oil, and lemon pepper maybe, I friggin love salt so I try not to eat alot of it or I crave more and more lol
  • angmarie28
    angmarie28 Posts: 2,863 Member
    We enjoy roasted asparagus. I also have a cherry tomato and asparagus salad recipe that is delicious. Here it is in case you'd like to try it. I usually omit the parmesan cheese; I don't think it's necessary.

Balsamic Asparagus and Cherry Tomato Salad

POINTS® Value: 0
    Servings:  4
    Preparation Time:  10 min
    Cooking Time:  0 min
    Level of Difficulty:  Easy

Ingredients
    · 1 1/2 pound asparagus, (about 40 spears)
    · 1 cup cherry tomato(es), about 10, cut in half
    · 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
    · 2 tsp orange juice
    · 1 tsp minced garlic
    · 2 Tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese
    · 1/8 tsp table salt, or to taste
    · 1/8 tsp black pepper, or to taste
    Instructions
    · Chop woody ends off asparagus. Microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, or cook in boiling, salted water until barely tender, about 4 to 6 minutes.
    · Plunge into ice water to stop cooking. Drain. Add cherry tomatoes.
    · Stir together vinegar, orange juice and garlic; season to taste. Spoon dressing over asparagus and tomatoes.
    · Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
    i might try this, but ill have to pick out the tomatos because i dont like them haha, but hubby does
  • debjae
    debjae Posts: 242
    grilled with lemon juice or steamed oh so yummy
  • skinnyme47
    skinnyme47 Posts: 806 Member
    Asparagus with curried eggs on top. It is really good this way, Google recipe. :smile:
  • SuffolkSally
    SuffolkSally Posts: 964 Member
    Rinse well (it can hold sand in the tips), test for breaking point as advised (or you can peel the lower stems with a potato peeler so they're less fibrous and cook with the rest of the stem). Practice roasting, steaming and grilling - you just need to test with the point of a sharp knife until tender. The spears should still be bright green - if you're not eating them immediately but using them later, then plunge them into very cold water, which will preserve the colour.
  • I made this for dinner last night:
    6 aparagus spears (cut of woody ends) grilled with garlic butter and a tiny bit of spray oil. When nearly done add 0.5 cup grape tomatoes to tray to roast too (or omit if you dont like). When cooked lay asparagus on plate with tomatoes, and 28grams of feta cheese, weight watchers balsamic vinegar and cracked pepper! Really yum and was 135 calories all up :)