Is cardio pointless

Options
124»

Replies

• Ivana331
    Options
    what qualifies as strength training? I am about 48 days into my journey and still working on getting stronger, but as of right now I do workouts using 3lbs weights... I know that is small, but does that qualify as strength traning? like rowing movements with the weights, presses, etc.?
    Resistance? Sure. Strength. Eh. I'm sure you carry a bag around that weighs more than that sometimes.
    LOL good to know! I honestly didn't know what was strength training vs weight training, etc. There seems to be alot of different ways to work out!
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    what qualifies as strength training? I am about 48 days into my journey and still working on getting stronger, but as of right now I do workouts using 3lbs weights... I know that is small, but does that qualify as strength traning? like rowing movements with the weights, presses, etc.?

Not really. Unless you have some kind of physical disability, you need a lot more resistance than that to see real changes. Lower reps and higher weight are a LOT, LOT, LOT more effective in re-shaping your body. Some women still worry about getting "bulky", but really they need to just let that go already! lol! It's NOT going to happen unless you use steroids--PERIOD. I lift as heavy as I can (120 lb lat pulldowns, 560 lb leg press, 135 lb squats and deadlifts, etc, etc), and ALL my measurements have gone WAY down. The stronger I get, the smaller I get. It's really, really, FUN!!

---but I still do cardio. :laugh:
  • fhsjewfro
    fhsjewfro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    i would never say cardio is pointless, but is it completely necessary to lose weight? No, it is not.
  • nataliexxxx
    Options
    Depends what you are doing it for. Cardio is for improving your circulation, lung capacity, blood pressure BUT NOT for making you lose weight - it is for making you live long enough to enjoy the benefits of not putting so much strain on your weight bearing limbs and joints.

So, if not having a heart attack or not having a stroke is unimportant to you then, yes, cardio is pointless.

You would lose weight while exercising if you don't keep drinking water whilst exercising - through perspiration. Then restore it as soon as you re-hydrate (i.e. drink water - regardless of the flavour of the water)

But if your burning calories then surely your going to lose weight? If 1 pound is 3500 calories then surely if you burn that you would lose weight?
  • nataliexxxx
    Options
    I haven't seen posts saying cardio is pointless. In fact, the very opposite.

There are loads on here
  • nataliexxxx
    Options
    i would never say cardio is pointless, but is it completely necessary to lose weight? No, it is not.

I know you dont need it I lost my first 20 pounds without cardio but surely it helps
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I have never seen anybody say cardio was pointless. Cardio strengthens the cardiovascular system even if it didnt burn a nice amount of calories the heart health benefits alone make it very worthwhile.

I'm afraid you haven't been around long enough, if you haven't spotted the macdonalds glugging meatheads who advance this pov.

In the end, I think it's the lack of mirrors on the track that puts them off running.

Most of us take a more sensible and measured view that a blend of cardiovascular activity and strength training is optimum for both weightloss and health. (That seems to be a view that confuses some of them... too nuanced, really, I suspect.)

And on that provocative note, that's me signing out of this thread, before the inevitable begins. Life is too short.

Nice job with the hit and run. Stay classy.

This thread seems to be debating a straw man. I've seen, and said that cardio isn't necessary for weight or fat loss. I haven't seen people say it's pointless or that improving cardiovascular fitness isn't beneficial. I've certainly never said it. There's a difference between the two statements. A nuanced difference that perhaps you aren't catching.

Signed,

Meathead
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    This thread seems to be debating a straw man. I've seen, and said that cardio isn't necessary for weight or fat loss. I haven't seen people say it's pointless or that improving cardiovascular fitness isn't beneficial.

I certainly don't read every single post, but I do spend way too much time on the forums and I agree with the above 100%.
  • GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    my heart loves it =)
  • 1sophiesophie
    1sophiesophie Posts: 67 Member
    Options

In the end, I think it's the lack of mirrors on the track that puts them off running.

Please don't sign out - the line above is hilarious.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Cardio is good for your heart and lungs. And even cognitive skills!

I just walk (really fast). I don't know if it has helped me lose weight other than to increase my calories for the day. But it has given me great muscles on my legs and hips and butt and abs.

Strength training has its own benefits.

My reading of the literature essentially says that calorie deficits are what drives weight loss. But exercise is what keeps it off and gives you a great look and great health.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I think in both extremes, there's a lot of melodrama. For instance, there's probably more women on here who complain about the theoretical women who are "afraid to get bulky" from weight lifting, than there are women genuinely afraid of getting bulky. And there's more people who say "THOSE PEOPLE OVER THERE say cardio is pointless" than there are people over there saying cardio is pointless.

An open mind is a good thing. That's all I'm saying.
  • 1Fizzle
    1Fizzle Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Sitting on the couch is pointless...Cardio, as has been stated plenty of times here, has multiple benefits. I started my journey 350+ pounds. It was necessary for me to build my stamina. Is it the only thing I do, no, but it is far from pointless!
  • ckish
    ckish Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Cardio is strength training for your heart! Some people are focused on being the "perfect weight" or the size of their muscles. Sadly they don't think of their heart until they have problems with it. Pesonally, if you are an either/or type of person and won't do both I would chose to strength train my heart cause without it you cn't do much.
  • TheDaniProject
    Options
    like all these fine people said before cardio is a plus and a must......it oooozzzzeeessss with benefits so do it ;-)
  • kjw1031
    kjw1031 Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    There seems to be alot of different ways to work out!

^^^^^ YES!

There's pure cardio, there's lifting heavy for fewer reps, there's lifting light for a lot of reps, there's interval training that incorporates some of each of these - - - each type of workout having a different benefit.

I do some of everything and it's working for me. My fitness level is improving steadily, I never get bored, and my body is not acclimating to any one exercise.

I don't feel like everyone has to throw away their "Barbie weights". Grab those 3 pound weights and hold them while doing a fun aerobics workout. You'll increase the intensity of the cardio and it's a GREAT workout for your shoulders, arms, and upper back.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    I have never seen anybody say cardio was pointless. Cardio strengthens the cardiovascular system even if it didnt burn a nice amount of calories the heart health benefits alone make it very worthwhile.

I'm afraid you haven't been around long enough, if you haven't spotted the macdonalds glugging meatheads who advance this pov.

Most of us take a more sensible and measured view that a blend of cardiovascular activity and strength training is optimum for both weightloss and health. (That seems to be a view that confuses some of them... too nuanced, really, I suspect.)

And on that provocative note, that's me signing out of this thread, before the inevitable begins. Life is too short.

Nice job with the hit and run. Stay classy.

This thread seems to be debating a straw man. I've seen, and said that cardio isn't necessary for weight or fat loss. I haven't seen people say it's pointless or that improving cardiovascular fitness isn't beneficial. I've certainly never said it. There's a difference between the two statements. A nuanced difference that perhaps you aren't catching.

Signed,

Meathead

Couldn't have said it better! Cardio has it's benefits. Strength training has it's benefits. Both together can be a real winning strategy. I guess I'm one of those niave ones but I haven't seen many posts saying cardio is pointless.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Strewth!

OF COURSE Cardio burns calories - but in isolation it won't result in weight loss - for that you need calorie control as well; otherwise you could just eat back the energy used and re-hydrate back the fluid loss.

If anything, the enhanced muscle mass might result in weight gain IF the calories in and out were even.

It's all a balancing act.