Egg white or yolk? Whole milk or skim?

Options
I was just munching on breakfast pondering this topic... Which is best for you? Skim milk is low in calories. But I feel like I'm drinking milk favored water :-/ and as for the egg question...I've just heard egg yolks aren't good for you. High in cholesterol or something, I think??? Idk. Advice anyone?

Replies

• amberlilies
    amberlilies Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks get a bad rap. They are very good for you despite the cholesterol: full of nutrition and enzymes that help digest the white.

With milk I generally compromise with 2%, but my main use for milk is in coffee, so it's such a small amount in the first place. In cereal or a glass, I'd probably make a lighter choice.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    If you are concered about losing weight eat very little or no dairy. I drink Almond milk. coconut milk is another option too.
  • KristaJeanMFP
    KristaJeanMFP Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I can definately compromise with 2%. I was just wondering if whole milk has benefits to it. Like you said about the egg yolks. I guess I could just google it. Lol
  • sandhillsmom
    sandhillsmom Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    The biggest difference for milk is fat content and calories.

Whole milk has 150 calories and 8 gram fat, 5 are saturated
    1% milk has 105 calories and 2.5 fat, 1.6 saturated
    skim milk has 90 calories and less than 1 gram of fat.

nutrition wise all the levels of milk are the same the only difference is fat content. So if you prefer the flavor of whole milk, enjoy it.
  • spirit80
    spirit80 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Eggs and Bacon are the best thing for you. Try coconut milk. It is awesome!
  • Kalynx
    Kalynx Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    skim milk is reconstituted with calcium and other things that are not natural and are harder for your body to make use of.
  • Danied13
    Danied13 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks still get a bad rap because people still believe that cholesterol consumed in food increases serum cholesterol. Yolks are great for you....even better from pastured chickens. I drink unsweetened almond instead of cow's milk, but whole is less processed than skim. I grew up drinking skim milk, so whole milk tastes like heavy cream to me, but it's the better option of the two.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    egg white
    skim milk
  • athensguy
    Options
    Whole egg.
    No milk.
  • fraser112
    Options
    Egg yolks still get a bad rap because people still believe that cholesterol consumed in food increases serum cholesterol. Yolks are great for you....even better from pastured chickens. I drink unsweetened almond instead of cow's milk, but whole is less processed than skim. I grew up drinking skim milk, so whole milk tastes like heavy cream to me, but it's the better option of the two.

This exactly for me,
    brought up on eggs and skim milk lol.

One problem i have is skimmed being low fat just makes you want more and more. i could drink a few litres if i let myself.
    Oddly enough ive not been drinking much milk for the last few months, about 2 weeks ago i chugged a pint of milk and woke up with my first spot outbreak since i was about 16. Im not sure if its related.

One upside to whole milk is the fat will fill you up and fat tends to suppress my sweet tooth. Try a nice steak with fried eggs and then try to eat again that that day haha.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    If you are concered about losing weight eat very little or no dairy.

Why??
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I eat whole eggs. There's no reason to skip the yolks, which are a great source of several nutrients. Dietary cholesterol does not influence your cholesterol.

I use skim milk primarily because I am used to it after all these years, although for coffee I would use cream. I don't believe it matters what sort of milk you like/use as long as it fits into your calories.
  • deadliftfan
    Options
    Milk is one of the worst things you can have for weight loss.

I make my own flax milk. You can also use cream mixed with water.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Depends on what you're looking for, I guess. I actually prefer the taste of skim milk, though the amount I drink is negligible. As far as eggs go, like others have said, the yolk has a higher nutritional content, but more fat. So if you're looking to cut fat out and get your nutrients elsewhere, cut out egg yolks, but if you can cut the fat from elsewhere and like yolks, then go for it.
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    If you are concered about losing weight eat very little or no dairy.

Why??

Probably some questionable article found on the internet.
  • Meikmeika
    Meikmeika Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    If I'm low on calories I will have egg whites, otherwise I do one egg & one egg white.
    As far as milk goes, I'm lactose intolerant, I drink unsweetened almond milk.
  • brighid40
    Options
    The fat soluble vitamins in milk are reduced when the fat content is reduced, so skimmed milk will have less than whole milk. I would recommend a compromise with semi skimmed. Definitely egg yolks get a bad rap as someone else said. They contain loads of good stuff but I think people have a problem with them because a) they contain the fats in the egg and b) the whole cholesterol thing (which as someone said isn't relevant as cholesterol eaten in food has no effect on blood cholesterol - it's saturated fat which will have the most negative impact on blood cholesterol).
  • IslandDreamer64
    IslandDreamer64 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    The egg yolk is full of nutrients, plus it's yummy! I have never eaten just egg whites. I also don't drink skim milk. I alternate between 1 and 2%. Skim milk is just too watery for this milk lover.
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I mix whole eggs with egg whites and I drink whole milk.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks do get a bad rep, but try not to have more than 4 or 5 a day, depending on your goals and caloric needs etc. If you're trying to lose weight and tone up, max about 2 or 3, but if you want to gain weight, go for more. These are just basic guidelines and aren't specific for everyone of course. Some people never eat yolks and others eat 5 day, both can be very fit and healthy.

I'm not a fan of milk at all, only a tiny splash for tea or coffee. The difference has been said above, but remember that both skimmed milk, 1%, 2% and whole milk all have the same sugar content.

Also, I read that some studies have shown that organic egg yolks contain more omega 3 fatty acids, so if you can afford organic, go for it.