Egg white or yolk? Whole milk or skim?

Options
2»

Replies

• 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    The fat soluble vitamins in milk are reduced when the fat content is reduced, so skimmed milk will have less than whole milk. I would recommend a compromise with semi skimmed. Definitely egg yolks get a bad rap as someone else said.

This is simply not true. In fact, skim milk has MORE vitamins and minerals than whole milk because the bottlers replace the vitamins removed with the fat. Some folks try to make the argument that some of the vitamins or minerals can't be absorbed from skim milk as it lacks fat, but this is also not true unless there is no fat in your entire diet.
  • janemem
    janemem Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    If you are concered about losing weight eat very little or no dairy.

Why??

Probably some questionable article found on the internet.

My thoughts exactly, I was just wondering how they were going to justify that statement, lol! :grumble:
  • 126siany
    Options

Why??

My thoughts exactly, I was just wondering how they were going to justify that statement, lol! :grumble:

I have him on ignore for a reason.
  • MDWilliams1857
    MDWilliams1857 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    The fat soluble vitamins in milk are reduced when the fat content is reduced, so skimmed milk will have less than whole milk. I would recommend a compromise with semi skimmed. Definitely egg yolks get a bad rap as someone else said.

This is simply not true. In fact, skim milk has MORE vitamins and minerals than whole milk because the bottlers replace the vitamins removed with the fat. Some folks try to make the argument that some of the vitamins or minerals can't be absorbed from skim milk as it lacks fat, but this is also not true unless there is no fat in your entire diet.

Actually it is true. Vitamins A and D are fat-soluble. So you can’t absorb them from milk when all the fat has been skimmed off. (This makes fortified skim milk the biggest sham of all — you can pump fat-free milk full of a year’s supply of vitamins A and D, but the body can’t access them).
  • janemem
    Options

Why??

I have him on ignore for a reason.

Lol, I'll wait and see what the argument 'For' his statement is, I'm very interested. :wink:
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    for me this question is simple...
    i dont like egg yolk ... so yay whites :D!
    and my mum will only drink whole milk so thats all we have... skimmed is icky... but semi skimmed i quite like :) happy medium :) ... if you dont like skimmed milk moving to it is silly... just limit what whole milk you have ...x
  • janemem
    Options
    Milk is one of the worst things you can have for weight loss.

Why?
  • 126siany
    Options

Actually it is true. Vitamins A and D are fat-soluble. So you can’t absorb them from milk when all the fat has been skimmed off. (This makes fortified skim milk the biggest sham of all — you can pump fat-free milk full of a year’s supply of vitamins A and D, but the body can’t access them).

That's only true IF YOU HAVE NO OTHER FAT IN YOUR DIET, as I said.
  • 126siany
    Options

Why?

I forget the reasoning for this, but many weight lifters and body builders have a rather irrational fear of dairy products. I suppose there's no correlation between that and their high rates of osteoporosis and osteopenia though. :laugh:
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    I eat whole eggs (minus the shell so I guess they aren't "whole" eggs). They just don't taste right without the yolks. I usually drink skim milk just because I like it best. I can do 1% but anything more is too thick and leaves a film in my mouth. I eat an average of two eggs a day and sometimes drink a quart of milk with my lunch. I also usually consume several other forms of dairy every day. As long as I hit my calorie and macro goals everything does what it's supposed to do.

I'm sure I get enough fat from sources other than milk to absorb whatever vitamins need to be absorbed.
  • janemem
    Options

Why?

I forget the reasoning for this, but many weight lifters and body builders have a rather irrational fear of dairy products. I suppose there's no correlation between that and their high rates of osteoporosis and osteopenia though. :laugh:

Not that they'd admit....... :wink:
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    If you are concered about losing weight eat very little or no dairy. I drink Almond milk. coconut milk is another option too.

Why would this be??

I drink 2 gallons of 1% Chocolate Milk (Post weight training drink) and a good portion of 1 gallon of 1% White Milk (with Breakfast) every week and have lost a few pounds in the process... OP I too agree Yolks get a bad rap. I prefer whole eggs but I also have been known to use egg beaters too. I prefer 1% Milk been drinking it for years.... Best of Luck
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I eat a lot of eggs and my doctor said I had the best cholesterol she has seen in a long time!! Eggs have sooo many good things in them, why throw half of them out?? Also dairy has gotten a bad rap. Dairy helps fat to not absorb in the body. Do what is right for you, pay attention to what your body needs (not wants) and get your blood checked to see what vitamins you are lacking and work from there :).
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I am not a fan of skimmed milk or whole milk. skimmed has no taste to me and the whole milk is abit too rich. i therefore buy either semi-skimmed (1.7%) of 1%. these 2 are perfect for my palate.
  • ivoryplume
    Options
    I almost exclusively drink almond milk these days, but, when I get dairy-milk, I typically buy skim. I love the flavor of milk more than anything, but I rarely drink it as a beverage (I like to stick to water) so when I buy it I'm using it in a recipe. That being said, I eat whole eggs! I'm a huge fan of hard-boiled eggs, and I eat several a week for breakfasts or for snacks. :) I think as long as you're eating them in moderation and cooking them in a healthy way, they're totally fine (and good) for you!
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    If you do not have any heart health issues there is no reason not to enjoy either. If it fits your macros go for it. Eating foods with less flavor is less satisfying for me. Smarter portions of full flavor/full fat foods work for me and I can live this way for the long run!