Fitbit vs BodyMedia, etc.

Options
13»

Replies

• katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    Have had BMF for 8 months. Easiest way to lose weight ever. Knowing how many calories you burn is key, and MFP is off by a lot as are most cardio machines and many HRMs. Plus it tells you how many calories you are burning all day and night--not just during your workouts. And while the food database sucks, it's easy to add your own foods to it (as easy as on MFP) and it tracks a lot of nutrients that are not tracked here.

And as far as accuracy, while nothing is 100%, BMF tells me that on a completely lazy day I would burn about the same as the BMR calculators tell me.

There is also a refer a friend program, so if anyone here decides to order one, please let me refer you and we both get a bonus.
  • danu12
    danu12 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I used BMF for about 7 months starting last November. At first I thought it was super cool, because you could see sleep and the theoretic calorie burn, so I followed the plan based on the calorie burn estimated. Alas, I started putting on weight almost immediately, despite keeping within the calorie and nutrition constraints presented in the BodyMedia plan. =( I kept at it for awhile but the burn was super overestimated!

The sensor draws a lot of attention, especially in short sleeves or sleeveless weather, and caused irritation after awhile, as you're supposed to keep it in the same place and wear it ALL the time. If you sleep on your side where the BMF is, it will disconnect from your skin and the readings will be off. After awhile, I just stopped using it regularly and felt the monthly subscription was a waste. I'd love to use it periodically just to see what the calorie burn reading is, but unless I maintain a regular subscription, there is no access to my data.

So now I'm thinking of trying a HRM or the FitBit....
  • SJCon
    SJCon Posts: 224
    Options

So now I'm thinking of trying a HRM or the FitBit....

I would not recommend Fitbit anymore if you want it to link to MFP Danu. The last update shifts how everyone was used to looking at their data and MFP does not appear to want to restore it.
    You might want to Google Mio Alpha and Basis, the are both Wrist type HRM that you could wear all day more comfortably. The Alpha is probably coming out before Christmas and there is no ECD on the Basis. The FitBit is only good for general step types of exercise and far from accurate even there but a good general number.