Your top five (or so) staple spices

-And what you use them for, if you are so inclined...

Replies

• Farburnfred
    Farburnfred Posts: 333 Member
    Have at least 5 for curries....curry powder, Garam masala, turmeric, coriander and cumin.. I also use lots of cinnamon and ginger. But I have tons of herbs and spices on my shelves!
  • torrmairi
    torrmairi Posts: 64 Member
    I must admit I don't season very much, but my top four are cinnamon, vanilla, cayenne and coriander. I put cinnamon onto apples and microwave or bake them (really good for a snack), vanilla in with my natural soy protein or anything I want a little sweeter, cayenne into anything tomato-based, and coriander is amazing in nearly everything savoury. I'm really keen on dill and cardamom, which are staples for basic Nordic cooking (think milky sauces and bread), but I haven't had them in recently.

Oh and I put sriracha on most things, but that's not really a spice.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Garlic, ginger, dill, cinnamon, and hot pepper flakes.

I use garlic in just about every savory dish I make. Ginger and garlic together is pretty awesome for asian style cooking. Fresh ginger on fruit or in smoothies. Cinnamon in my coffee, daily. I add cinnamon bits to the grounds before brewing. Dill as a seasoning for salads and seafood. And hot pepper flakes in my dinner just about every day. I like it hot.
  • Andrea419
    Andrea419 Posts: 83 Member
    Cumin, cinnamon, chili powder, curry powder, and ginger.
  • wrbiii
    wrbiii Posts: 151
    Garlic, Onion, Cayenne, Lemon (instead of lemon pepper... I've also gotten good at cooking with lemon instead of any kind of oil), and whatever variety of Mrs. Dash sounds good
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Whole fresh garlic, fresh ginger root, Hungarian paprika (spicy yum!), Parsley, and black pepper.
    It would take too long to tell you all the ways to use them.
    Paprika is a main staple in my twist of Hungarian Goulash.
    Garlic, parsley and black pepper go into my chicken soup.
    Everything except for the paprika goes into my stir fries along with whatever bit of Asian inspired sauce I am in the mood for at the moment, like Teriyaki (sp?), Hoisin, sweet & sour or what have you.
    Lord I love to cook and experiment with different flavors!
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,871 Member
    Aside from salt and black pepper...

For dried spices, ancho chili powder, cumin, coriander, thyme, and (for my husband) cayenne.
    I also cook with fresh basil, cilantro, onion, garlic, shallots, and ginger all the time!
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder, Thyme, Oregano, Cumin

Honorable mention: chili powder and cumin
  • tannyasawyer
    tannyasawyer Posts: 106 Member
    - Black pepper. If it's savoury, it's going in...

- Salt. A little goes a looong way. Even in sweet foods (porridge, baked good, etc.) Takes away some of the sickly/bland flavour.

- Cinnamon. Awesome stuff. Great in porridge. Supposed to help with sugar levels too!

- Garlic. Looove garlic

- Chinese Fivespice. Love this stuff, although I haven't used it for quite a while. Is great in small amounts on with pork and chicken.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 478 Member
    Black pepper on everything

Minced garlic, basil, oregano - veggies, legumes, fish, pasta

chilli pepper, club house cajun seasoning - veggies, legumes, fish, soups
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Lemon pepper, chili lime rub, southwest seasoning, Italian seasoning, garlic
  • amberaz
    amberaz Posts: 328 Member
    Garlic, onion, cumin, smoked paprika, basil

Garlic and onion-dried and powdered-go in everything I cooke except breakfast
    Cumin I use for anything that need a very savory, rich flavor
    Smoked paprika goes in most things, it adds a rich sweet smoky flavor that compliments most things
    Basil is great because I grow in my garden and always have it fresh, it's a sweet herbal flavor that goes well with asian, italian and mexican dishes.
  • EricInArlington
    EricInArlington Posts: 531 Member
    Tabasco
    Slap Yo Mama
    Srriracha " red ****"
    cumin
    garlic salt
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Ground cumin. A giant jar of assorted "Italian Seasoning." Red pepper flakes. Black pepper. Chili powder.
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Most of the spices I keep in my place whole and I grind them after roasting the "seeds" as needed. More flavor. Anyways, since I'm Indian and my main culinary experience is in south eat asia and mid-eastern cuisine heres my list

Turmeric powder
    Garam Masala
    Dried Chilli pepper. Or cayenne peppers
    cumin
    coriander seeds
    summac (try it on salads or put it on top of a cooked burger)
    chaat masala
    cardimom
    fennul
    yellow mustard seeds
    black mustard seeds
    chaat masala

My list can go on and on. I use alot of spices >.<

The main thing to remember is to know your spices and that spices should be used to compliment each other. Once you learn the nature of different spices, you can do amazing things with food!
  • TiffanySuscheck
    TiffanySuscheck Posts: 123 Member
    I only need 2: cayenne and cinnamon.

I carry both in my purse and put them on anything and everything.
  • shoshi68
    shoshi68 Posts: 407 Member
    Ginger, garlic, chili pepper, cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, turmeric, thyme.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    cumin
    garlic
    cayenne

curry
    garlic
    ginger

salt
    pepper

adobo
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    curry for chicken
    adobo for everything
    garlic for everything
    pepper for everything
    salt for everything
    onion powder for everything
    sazon for everything
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Have at least 5 for curries....curry powder, Garam masala, turmeric, coriander and cumin.. I also use lots of cinnamon and ginger. But I have tons of herbs and spices on my shelves!

YUM where is the LIKE button. I have a ton of spices and I use them for everything. I prepare all my food at home and it's funny when people see my diary they must think it is pretty boring with all the fruits and veggies, but the truth is that it's all yummy and it is because of SPICE.