Step away from the Nutella

Options
I need help stepping away from the Nutella jar. I started my "healthy" life style on Feb 20, 2012. At that time I was known to eat peanut butter by the spoons full, 1000+ calories a day. I gave it up completely. In July I started to allow myself peanut butter once a week. Last week I tasted Nutella and now I'm eating it by the spoons full.

Why can’t I get past this? I know it's not good for me and is going to hurt my weight loss. What to do? Has anybody else experienced this? :noway:

Replies

• daylily2005
    daylily2005 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I love Nutella, and eat it 3 or 4 times a week on a cinnamon crumpet (from trader joe's). I did have to go without it for a while because I was eating too much of it, but I just couldn't live without it. I found that eating it while drinking water helped me to stop at a reasonable amount. I used to eat a full serving every time I had it, but now I'm down to a half (just 1 tbsp). Eat it slowly! Savor it :) Then walk away and do something else to get your mind off of it :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,130 Member
    Options
    Nutella has peanuts in it, right? I know peanuts are one of those trigger foods for me. Like corn chips. Or popcorn. Some foods are best banished for a while from the kitchen.

I stopped buying peanut butter for a while when I was actively losing. Now that Im pretty much at goal I've gotten a handle on compulsive eating - but it wasn't easy.
  • bullisnn82
    Options
    I have a bit of a peanut butter prob too, but I found out that if I put it in my oatmeal in the morning it stretches it out and makes me feel like I'm being naughty, but it's actually a healthy and filling breakfast. As far as the nutella... I don't even buy it - it's too good. They do sell snack sized ones in the checkout lanes, though. If you were gonna do it, that would be the way to go.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    I have a serious addiction to Nutella. I had to stop buying it!! Sad sad day;(((
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I have a slice of whole wheat toast with 1tbs PB & 1/2tbs of Nutella almost every day.
  • midmomike2
    Options
    Have you tried chocolate PB2? It's a powdered choc. peanut butter with 45 calories for a 2 tbs serving.Doesn't taste as good as the real thing of course, but good enough to calm the craving.
  • AtlantaWriter
    AtlantaWriter Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    We all have certain foods we really crave that aren't that healthy. I haven't even tried Nutella because it looks heavenly, and I know I'd be like you -- eating it out of the jar with a spoon! I have problems with anything chocolate. My solution? Don't bring it into the house. If it's not here, I won't eat it. If I really crave something, I will go buy it and not deny myself because I know if I do, then I will just binge on it later. So much of dieting is paradoxical. Also, I don't really care for dark chocolate. I find if I buy Hershey's dark chocolate kisses and keep them in the freezer, I will be less likely to binge on them and just eat 2 to satisfy my chocolate craving. I also like sugar-free chocolate pudding and cocoa.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    cant help ya i eat nutella a few times a month with a banana and nuts love it..i try not to deny myself the things i enjoy because it leads to binge eatng for me
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    I have a bit of a peanut butter prob too, but I found out that if I put it in my oatmeal in the morning it stretches it out and makes me feel like I'm being naughty, but it's actually a healthy and filling breakfast. As far as the nutella... I don't even buy it - it's too good. They do sell snack sized ones in the checkout lanes, though. If you were gonna do it, that would be the way to go.

This.

In my morning oats makes me feel like I am being bad without the regret =)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I need help stepping away from the Nutella jar. I started my "healthy" life style on Feb 20, 2012. At that time I was known to eat peanut butter by the spoons full, 1000+ calories a day. I gave it up completely. In July I started to allow myself peanut butter once a week. Last week I tasted Nutella and now I'm eating it by the spoons full.

Why can’t I get past this? I know it's not good for me and is going to hurt my weight loss. What to do? Has anybody else experienced this? :noway:

I don't have it around. I use PB2 peanut butter powder. I rarely have real peanut butter if I'm super hungry. Maybe later after I'm already satisfied. It is a trigger food for a lot of people. This is quite common when you are on a calorie deficit.
  • CarmenSandiegoInVA
    Options
    Don't deny yourself peanut butter. It's a healthy fat and full of antioxidants. I eat a tablespoon a day. Everyday. That or other nut butters. Instead of doing nutella. Look at Peanut butter and Company's Dark Chocolate Dreams. It's sold with the peanut butter it has way less calories and sugar. And limit yourself to a tablespoon a day.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Well, you can have it as long as you don't eat it by the jarful...
  • luckyclover78
    luckyclover78 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    throw it out and stop buying it! lol :tongue:
  • MinMin97
    MinMin97 Posts: 2,676 Member
    Options
    I used to do this kind of thing all the time.
    I would probably continue doing this, but I broke the habit, for the most part.
    I just did not have them around.
    Not that I don't eat plenty of treats! I do.
    But you will overcome this eventually! Don't lose heart!
    I used to eat Guittard milk chocolate chips.....I just could not have those crazy things around.
    Now I can. Amazing!
  • twonkieone
    Options
    i embraced my pb and nutella addiction --- make sandwiches on low fat graham crackers. 2 crackers and 1 tbs pb and 1/2 tbs nutella and i freeze them! totally worth the calories and are awesome!!! takes longer to eat cause both of them freeze solid. i say don't fight it -- just makes you crazy. you need to figure out a way to have the foods you love - you only go around one time....live!
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    Nutella has peanuts in it, right? I know peanuts are one of those trigger foods for me. Like corn chips. Or popcorn. Some foods are best banished for a while from the kitchen.

I stopped buying peanut butter for a while when I was actively losing. Now that Im pretty much at goal I've gotten a handle on compulsive eating - but it wasn't easy.

hazelnuts. and a ton of sugar.
  • likearadiowave
    likearadiowave Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    NOOOO

Actually, I know it's terrible, but I too have a nutella addiction. I think I might need to join a Nutella support group. lol
  • auntbliz
    auntbliz Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I had to stop buying it also until I felt like I had a handle on overeating. Once I felt like I was in better control of how much of what I eat, I was able to get it again and stay away from it. I have it for the kids, and stay away as much as possible. If I wasn't getting if for the kids though, I would not have it in the house at all. For me I would equate that to quitting smoking but keeping a pack of cigarettes on hand. Literally I would down half the jar in one sitting before realizing what I was doing to myself. I still sneak a bite now and then, but stretch it out by putting it on a slice of homemade bread. And I log it before I eat it, mind game to help me stick to what I logged. I go months without it though, because I'm so cautious about not giving myself the opportunity to be a nutella glutton.
  • a_mandolin_
    a_mandolin_ Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Yes, step away from the nutella! I'd start out with a Nutella sandwich, then two, then say screw the bread and just dig in and the whole jar would be gone in one sitting. :blushing:

Sometimes at the grocery store I go down the aisle and just stare longingly at it, but I have not and will not buy it or any variation of it because I know one taste and I'll down the whole jar again, lol. Crack in a jar!
  • schustc
    schustc Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Have you tried chocolate PB2? It's a powdered choc. peanut butter with 45 calories for a 2 tbs serving.Doesn't taste as good as the real thing of course, but good enough to calm the craving.

^^^^this^^^ 10000000 times. I have pb2 in one form or another almost daily. 1/4 cup of the stuff is only 90 calories. 1/4 of regular peanut butter. I usually have 1/4 cup for a serving most times. PB and banana sandwich with low Cal pita and 1/4 cup pb2 is around 250 Cal's and very filling