I have a theory about running...

Options

Replies

• reneehend
    Options
    I LOVE running. But I hate jogging!! Instead I do track workouts. Been a runner for almost 40 years now!!
  • RunXstrong
    Options
    Join a running group and work on running long with those friends. As you chat along the way you may learn to love those hours. Most training miles are slow enough for a conversation. The too-fast-to-talk-while-running days are only a couple days a week even for serious runners.
  • girish_ph
    girish_ph Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I find that once you break into a comfortable fitness base with running, it becomes much more enjoyable.

When I was getting myself into decent shape-- I didn't enjoy it.

After I was able to run 3-4 miles, relatively easily, then up the mileage -- I found it to be relaxing and a great way to de-stress after a day of sitting in the office.

Culley - I have just started c25k. I dont like running so much. Yr post gives me something to look forward to.
  • wewon
    wewon Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Not true for me. I find the first two miles the hardest. After that, I can just keep going. I race better at longer distances as well.

Ditto.

I've run a couple of 1/2 marathons, and I content that the first mile is hell. LOL!

After your body gets into gear, running can be very theraputic so long as you're wearing proper shoes, pacing yourself, etc.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I disagree with your theory. Once I hit about mile 4, I feel like I can forever. That's when I get my wind. Up until mile 2 or so, I'm sort of warming up, and feel slow.
  • jtslim42
    Options
    The first 2 miles are the worst for me. Once I get past that then i can just focus on my breathing and zone out while listening to music, It's very therapeutic for me.
  • jellebeandesigns
    jellebeandesigns Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Anything past 4 miles is amazing! I have a hard time going out knowing I'm only doing 3 miles
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I also disagree with your theory... the first mile or so is the hardest for me. I ran 12 yesterday and while the last mile was hard(yesterday was the first time I had run 12 miles) it felt great!!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Anything past 4 miles is amazing! I have a hard time going out knowing I'm only doing 3 miles

Why? 3 miles is a great run. I do 3 all the time. Typically during the week I run a 3, then a 5, then a 3, then on Saturday I'll do 8 or 10 or more depending. Don't get discouraged because you think 3 isn't much. It's more than someone who does none, and it's actually a great workout.
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

Why? 3 miles is a great run. I do 3 all the time. Typically during the week I run a 3, then a 5, then a 3, then on Saturday I'll do 8 or 10 or more depending. Don't get discouraged because you think 3 isn't much. It's more than someone who does none, and it's actually a great workout.

I feel the same way. Mostly because I don't really start to feel loose and warmed up until somewhere in that third mile.
  • Raylea00
    Options
    I find the first two miles the hardest. After that, I can just keep going.

I find the first two the hardest as well. Glad it is not just me. :) After that, I have found my rhythm.
  • BucsGirl4Life
    BucsGirl4Life Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Not true for me. I find the first two miles the hardest. After that, I can just keep going. I race better at longer distances as well.
    The only reason I end up doing 3 miles often is the time crunch, not lack of enjoyment.
    [/quote

Me too! I dread my first two miles, but once I'm on to mile 3, I'm ready to go as far as I can. I usually do my long runs on Sundays and they average anywhere from 5 to 12 miles depending on what else I have planned for the day. On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I average 3.5 to 6 miles. I used to HATE running, now I wish I had time to do some type of running every day.]
  • toddjg
    Options
    I agree with much of this too.
    1. The first two mile are the toughest - once you are in a routine, yo hit a "zone" after a few miles and it does seem you could run forever.
    2. The average is probably driven by a few things:
    - Popularity of the 5K distance for beginners "I want to get to 5K"
    - 5K as a minimum for longer runners "If I can't do at least a 5K, I am not bothering"
    - Time - a 5k is less than a half hour run - easy to fit in
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure how statistically valid the sample is (you may find a completely different result polling Garmin users.....) but it's the longer runs that I enjoy the most. The run is its own reward.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    My own personal experience is that it can be boring sometimes and yes, I've had painful injuries but the endorphin rush I get from running is not one I've been able to get from any other type of exercise no matter how hard I push myself! So I guess it's an addiction for me!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I find the FIRST mile the most difficult and I almost always have to push myself to get through it. Once I get past that, I would rather run than walk. It's easier on my old joints. :laugh:

After mile 3, I feel like I could go on forever. All day. It feels fantastic.
  • iluvprettyshoes
    iluvprettyshoes Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I disagree with your theory. Once I hit about mile 4, I feel like I can forever. That's when I get my wind. Up until mile 2 or so, I'm sort of warming up, and feel slow.

That's my experience too. It becomes easier & I can run faster.
  • cls_333
    cls_333 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Well this sure isn't true for me. I love running more than just about anything, and the longer the better. I never run under 5 miles at a time (I do about 40+ miles per week). This first mile or two are always the hardest for me. I am injured at the moment, and I can't even tell you how depressed I am that I can't run. Running makes me feel so much better, and gives me so much energy. I feel completely lost without it.
  • dawnemjh
    dawnemjh Posts: 1,465 Member
    Options
    I also disagree. I find the first couple miles the hardest. Actually the hardest part is walking out the door!!! I find the longer I run, the better I feel regardless of whether I am training for a race or not!!!
  • fabfindz05
    fabfindz05 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I've been running for almost a year and I love it.. The first couple of miles are tough, but I settle in after that. I run between 20-25 miles per week. Running is social for me. I look forward to running with the group.
    Sure, I get aches and pains but it goes away.

The hardest part about running is putting my feet on the floor when that alarm goes off at 4:15.