I have a theory about running...

Options

Replies

• ChaseAlder
    ChaseAlder Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    I've heard plenty of "hardcore" runners say that they don't actually enjoy the running itself, they only really enjoy the racing or the accomplishment of the mileage. I've also noticed that the entire Nike+ community averages about 3 miles per run. I have a theory that running starts to get boring, painful, or otherwise un-enjoyable after that 4th mile or so.

Runners, any thoughts?

I disagree. The running is enjoyable for me after I'm warmed up, a couple miles in. I get into a groove and I love feeling my body working efficiently. The racing and accomplishments are nice, but they aren't what I think about when I get up at 4:30am to lace up. I feel powerful when I run. I feel like I'm making myself better.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I've heard plenty of "hardcore" runners say that they don't actually enjoy the running itself, they only really enjoy the racing or the accomplishment of the mileage. I've also noticed that the entire Nike+ community averages about 3 miles per run. I have a theory that running starts to get boring, painful, or otherwise un-enjoyable after that 4th mile or so.

Runners, any thoughts?

I enjoy running. Truly. I enjoy racing for the adrenaline rush and the accomplishment of crossing that finish line. I also enjoy my leisurely runs that I do on the treadmill. It's been a while since I've done a "long" run (my cardio is 30 min. so my typical run is 3 - 3.5 miles in that time) but even when I do a 6 miler outside I still enjoy it. The only time I didn't enjoy running was when I was training for a half marathon and that was because the schedule was so regimented and I was forced to run even when I didn't feel like it. There were a lot of times where I dreaded the long run and hit the wall at 2 miles and I still had 5-7 more to go! I'm more of a "run when I want to/however fast/however far". If I'm forced to run then I really don't like it all that much.
  • ritmeyer
    ritmeyer Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I love running, especially longer distances. Not boring, it's my release, my mediation. Around mile 4-5 is where my runs get super comfortable and I feel great.

As far as the Nike+. I run 15-20 miles a week average. I use that app only when I'm trying to measure a new route or when I'm training and more than half my mileage in a week I don't use it. My husband runs 25-30 a week & has never used nike+ or any GPS app.
  • krisiepoo
    krisiepoo Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    The first few steps through the first mile are the worst for me... my muscles are trying to get into the routine of running another day. My most enjoyable distance (thus far) is around 7 miles but i'm currently training for a 1/2 then doing a full marathon in June so my weekly mileage is going to up considerably soon and I can't wait. There is JOY in pushing yourself to what you never thought you could do.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    I have been running for over 18 years. And I don't do anything that I don't enjoy. LOL

Personally, at this point in my life, 4 or 5 miles is just a warm up. I truly love to run. And thanks be to God who has gifted me the ability to do so.
  • jooonesy
    jooonesy Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I just started running about 2 months ago and I used to hate. I have to say that initially, the first mile or 2 did suck for me... Felt like I was going to pass out and I wanted to quit. But I've learned over time to pace myself and that there's nothing wrong with slowing down if you need to. So now I average anywhere from 3-6 miles per run, depending on how much time I have and I absolutely love it. I think ultimately training your body to run properly will alleviate that boring or tired feeling.
  • Culley34
    Options
    Stick with it, but listen to your body. Soreness is normal -- remember to ice your knees, shins, ankles etc... if they get sore. Don't be afraid to add in an extra rest day.

It gets much easier and as the serious runners can attest - it becomes a way to unwind. It's basically meditation. There have been times when I've been running and zoned out so much that I've blinked and I realized that I've been going for 6 or 7 miles and it only feels like 5 minutes.

FWIW - I'm doing about 40-50 miles (on 5 days of running) and 1 day of cross training on my road bike for 45-80 minutes. It depends on if it's a stepback week or not for me.
    I find that once you break into a comfortable fitness base with running, it becomes much more enjoyable.

When I was getting myself into decent shape-- I didn't enjoy it.

After I was able to run 3-4 miles, relatively easily, then up the mileage -- I found it to be relaxing and a great way to de-stress after a day of sitting in the office.

Culley - I have just started c25k. I dont like running so much. Yr post gives me something to look forward to.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Runs are never boring but sometimes they are painful either because the workout is very hard or because the workout the day before was hard and the body is still tired. But I enjoy the process of improving and figuring out the best ways to get that improvement; and especially being able to beat a whole lot of people 30 years younger than me in races.
  • MtnKat
    MtnKat Posts: 714
    Options
    I love to run and run an average of about 5-6 miles a run 3-4 days a week.

I hate racing.

Did I mention that I hate racing?

That doesn't make me a lesser runner.

I also have a friend who hates going beyond 3 miles. To each his own :-)

I think your theory is off. It's too generalized to be a theory but nice try ;-)
  • jturnerx
    jturnerx Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    ... I really wanted to get home and make pancakes.

I'm totally making pancakes now!
  • CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options

I'll be right over!
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

35tnph.jpg
  • stingrayinfl
    stingrayinfl Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Long training runs are the best part of running. I enjoy them. Running helps me more mentally than physical.
    As far as races go, I run where they have the best post race food.
  • adietron
    Options
    Thanks for your input everyone! Looks like there's a great deal of individual variation. Maybe the Nike+ community is skewed because the average runner only has about 30 minutes of time to run, rather than a disinterest in running more than 3 miles?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I think your theory is flawed.
    3 miles is roughly a 5K the most popular racing distance, so often that's all people run. PLus that puts most at about 30 minuts or so. I don't think it has anything to do with mile #4 being boring or painful.

I still dont understand people who hate running but still do it. If I hate something, I'm NOT willingly going to do it.
    I run because I enjoy it. Sometimes more than other times.
  • Erinthebodo
    Erinthebodo Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I run marathon and I really love the longer runs. It is not just the physical part, I get a lot of mental benefits from distance running. Ironically.... I used to hate running more than 3 miles but once I started training for a marathon I started to love it :)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options

Runners, any thoughts?

I have been a runner for over 30 years; from 3 miles up to 50 and all distances in between and HIIT. I LOVE running and always have. Well except at the beginning when my body was adjusting to it. I love sprints, I love long easy runs outside, I love moderate paces, I love all of it. I'll admit the last 6 miles of a marathon are tough, as is the last 10 miles of a 50 miler. But overall if you put in the miles your body adjusts and you crave and enjoy it.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I effing hate running! However, it feels so good, I can't stop myself.

It's my place to pray, to have some me time, to be grateful I am no longer in ICU with a heart condition, to feel healthy, to feel the wind, to experience life from the inside out and feel young! I like the challenge of time and distance, and I am addicted to endorphins, it's almost as good as sex!!
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I love my runs and feel better two miles in. 10 miles in is when I start getting giddy.
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I start getting bored at the 9 mile mark.