Too embarrased to go swimming

Options
I used to love going swimming when I was a kid to the point where I joined a junior lifesaving club for about 4 years, just to have another excuse to go swimming. But I haven't been in a pool (or the sea) for over five years.

I'm just a waxed matress squeezed into a shopping bag.

I keep psyching myself up to go and have found myself on two occasions recently at the main entrance, just unable to walk in. I just can't seem to man up and get in my trunks! It's stupid because I know that I'll be much better off in the pool and adding something to the routine I've got at the moment which is becoming stale (running, cross trainer and free weights).

Has anyone had this feeling recently?

Replies

• andie2013
    Options
    Same here, I'd love to go swimming as I was very good at it when I was a kid. But, I'm just so self-conscious of my weight and size.
  • mamabear0222
    mamabear0222 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    I started that way and then thought I'd go to the early Sat morning swim, when all the "cool kids" are still sleeping at home because they were out late all night - the only people there were very elderly dedicated people ...it helped me EASE into it and now Im fine :)
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I grew up spending every summer day at the lake from the 7:00am until 7:00pm - only coming out of the water when the lifeguard forced me too. When I gained a lot of weight, I stayed out of the water for years out of sheer embarrassment. Now, even though I still look horrendous in a swim suit, I don't give a damn. I love to swim, it is great exercise and I really don't give a crap what anyone else thinks of me. Maybe they'll giggle a bit behind my back, but at least I'm out there swimming and not sitting on the couch!! Go for it!! Put on those trunks and jump in!!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I go to my local YMCA pool and swim about 2x a week. I used to feel that way until I saw some of the other folks even bigger than me in the pool. If they can then I can.
  • woodsygirl
    woodsygirl Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Don't be embarrassed, be proud that you are able to swim! When you go to a pool, beach, lake whatever look around. There are people of all sizes and they are perfectly happy. If you don't make a big deal of it (tugginng at your swim suit, hunched over, etc) people will just glance over and not even care. Go enjoy something that makes you happy!
  • deadbeatsummer
    deadbeatsummer Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    You just need to confront your fear... Perhaps if the first time you went back into the pool, it was in a more intimate or nicer setting than the local pool..
    I don't know if you have a significant other or somebody that you could maybe book a spa day with or somewhere nice for the day with a pool. Or go to one of the more upmarket gyms on a day pass to try their pools just so that you will feel that it is more of a treat (and also you wont be seeing these people on a regular basis)

Once you have the confidence you might be ok.
  • umer76
    umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have this issue too. I used to go few years back regularly but now my hairy back & chest is stopping me!!! Should this be an issue guys?
  • LifeChangingExp8512
    Options
    Think of how fkn awesome u will feel when you are looking and feeling more fabulous from swimming... I say go for it. Dont over think it. JUST DO IT!
  • helyg
    helyg Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I don't know what your local pool is like, but mine is full of people who wouldn't get any further than me in a beautiful body contest! People of all ages and all shapes and sizes. You might be surprised.
  • jennibee70
    jennibee70 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm constantly embarassed until I get my body under the water, but I bet if you take a deep breath and make it through the door the first time, that it'll be much easier the second time. Does your pool do an early morning session when hardly anyone goes? Or an aqua-aerobics session? Anything to ease taking that first plunge.
  • hiddenaudacity
    hiddenaudacity Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hmm. It's hard to say for a guy, but as a female I just wear a full piece speedo swimsuit (I find it actually pulls my fat in making me look a bit thinner) and slip my shorts off at nearby bench, then quickly run into the pool before anybody sees me. I find that most people wont pay any attention to me anyway and are too busy concentrating on their swimming.
  • dirtydmvkid
    Options
    The toughest part is the 30 second walk from the locker rooms to the pool. Once you are in the water the only thing people will see is the furious splashing. You'll feel much better once you have gone a few laps. It's a mind game. You can do this! Your pride may scream against it, but your body will thank you after you finish the workout.
  • sjchrist
    Options
    I have the same problem but not with swimming. Mine is the gym - im terrified of them as feel i would get laughed at. My work even has a small one so i wouldn't have to pay but i know it would spread round like wild fire that 'fatty sue' was using the gym and they would all giggle.
  • SophieC19
    SophieC19 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I was the same because of my weight, but I bought a swimming outfit to cover most things up! (Top and shorts) So I try to go once a week now :)
    I'd say definately go, once your in the water you'll feel fine i'm sure :) If its your weight stopping you going, just think most people (including myself) will think good on you for going and working hard to lose weight when they see you swimming :)
    I hope you can get yourself to go :flowerforyou: and hope my post helped abit :)
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I ordered a "modest" swimsuit online that had long sleeves and capri leggings made from swimsuit material. (of course that might look silly on a guy)

How about wearing one of those shirts that surfers sometimes wear, or just a plain old white t-shirt? Once you get into the water, you'll feel great and then maybe the next time you'll decide you can skip the shirt.
  • saustin201
    saustin201 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I swim about 40 minutes of laps several times per week. I don't know where you live, but I live in a *very* small town in rural Southern MN. I swim with people who are just like me, slightly overweight and either swim to get in shape or get healthier. No one will make fun of you or laugh at you. I was terrified to go to my first lap swim too thinking people wold laugh at me or make fun of me, but after I got there I realize how much I love swimming and majority of people are there to lose weight too. Some of the people are much heavier than me.

Don't be afraid. Please go. You'll rediscover your love of swimming. I am a former lifeguard myself.

Now go swimming.
  • hippichickiniki
    Options
    I'm embarrassed to go get in the pool too. But it is because I don't know what I'm doing. Just to show you how differently people perceive things, I'm a small, thin person and I'm afraid that the people with swimming skills, like you guys, whatever size they are, will be judging me. I have friends who say they feel embarrassed to go in the pool for various reasons too. So the reality probably is that no one is paying any attention to what we're all most worried about, size or skill or whatever we're embarrassed about, because they are too busy worrying about whatever they're embarrassed about.

Go for it you two. I'm rooting you both on because I wish I had your skill and I sincerely want you to feel better about exercising for your health, in the pool and out.
  • ABrideToBE
    ABrideToBE Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Why care about what other people think? Think about YOU instead. You can do it!!!
  • LordBezoar
    LordBezoar Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I am in this boat as well. I was on the swim team in High School and more or less lived in the water for a few years.

But in recent years, I have simply not been comfortable around people--even family--while swimming.
  • fatmom51
    fatmom51 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am still much bigger than I should be, but I go to a deep water workout class at the Y once or twice a week and have seen that people in my class are all different sizes, ages, and genders. (I am not even the biggest one in the class.) I am also planning to get back into doing laps as well. It's great exercise and burns a ton of calories.

You may want to check out your pool to find a time when less competitive swimmers are there. (At our pool, I try to avoid when the the younger "masters" swimmers are doing their workouts because I just swim too slowly, but I'm fine when older or newer fitness swimmers are there.) You'd be surprised how many people are in the pool, including those rehabbing from injuries/surgery, trying to lose weight, etc. in all shapes, sizes, etc.

And truth be told, people probably won't give you more than a second glance because most of us are equally self-conscious about ourselves.