Tip: Throw out the office chair and get one of these!

Options
13»

Replies

• SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    I've tried...my boss won't approve it! :(
  • deannarey13
    Options
    I actually wanted to do this, but was told that I could not. Apparently, it was a liability.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I work from home and have been thinking about getting one of these. For those that have been using them, what are the benefits you've seen?

ETA: and what size do you use?
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    My daughter's school has started implementing these in the classroom....actually helps the kids focus according to a study done by the Mayo clinic
  • Car0lynnM
    Car0lynnM Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I have one under my desk. I find it difficult to use when I'm wearing a skirt and heels. On pants days, it's pretty comfortable.
  • mandersatx
    Options
    I work from home and have been thinking about getting one of these. For those that have been using them, what are the benefits you've seen?

ETA: and what size do you use?

Size depends on height and weight. I got mine at a local sporting goods store, and I just followed the suggestion on the back of the box. I enjoy mine watching TV and working on the computer at home. My back hurts less, and it's great for the ADHD because I'm concentrating on 2 things at once - balancing & whatever else I am doing.

As far as the school thing, a teacher in Austin got them donated from a fitness company for her elementary classroom after getting permission from her principal (using the Mayo study, I assume). She has strict rules about no bouncing, no playing, ect. If you break the rules, you sit in a regular chair or on the floor for the rest of the day. As I understand it, she has had no problems with that after the first week. I think it's a great idea for a variety of reasons, the least of which is helping hyperactive students (like I was!) concentrate.
  • butterflyfairy2
    butterflyfairy2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that so many offices ban these. I used to work for a large natural foods market (in the corporate office). Probably 25% of the people had balls for chairs: they even had a pump that everyone could use. I never heard of an injury caused by the ball. Although one guy rolled onto something sharp (paper clip? push pin) and the ball deflated in an instant!

This made me giggle a bit. I worked as a Habilitation Specialtist for Special needs children and we were using one of these balls and I was sitting on it at the time and lost my balance and rolled off backwards and slammed my head into the wall. I ended up with a concussion.
    I can see why some places view it as a liability. I have one that I use at home and still to this day I get freaked out on it and I won't use it when I am home alone just in case. :wink:
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    A lady in my officce has a ball, but doesn't use it all the time. I've started standing at my desk more. A nice work station was even offerered, but I don't want to ask them to buy one until I decide if I can stand all day. I'm using a paper box at the moment, as it's the perfect height for me :) My back, legs and hips feel better when I stand but my feet are killing me at the end of the day. I'm also more productive when I don't have to get up to file/ research... shhhhh don't tell my boss :)
  • Wonderwoman2677
    Wonderwoman2677 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Size depends on height and weight. I got mine at a local sporting goods store, and I just followed the suggestion on the back of the box. I enjoy mine watching TV and working on the computer at home. My back hurts less, and it's great for the ADHD because I'm concentrating on 2 things at once - balancing & whatever else I am doing.

As far as the school thing, a teacher in Austin got them donated from a fitness company for her elementary classroom after getting permission from her principal (using the Mayo study, I assume). She has strict rules about no bouncing, no playing, ect. If you break the rules, you sit in a regular chair or on the floor for the rest of the day. As I understand it, she has had no problems with that after the first week. I think it's a great idea for a variety of reasons, the least of which is helping hyperactive students (like I was!) concentrate.
    [/quote]

This sounds like a great idea for schools! My daughter is always complaining that her back hurts and I don't doubt it!
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I find it interesting that so many offices ban these. I used to work for a large natural foods market (in the corporate office). Probably 25% of the people had balls for chairs: they even had a pump that everyone could use. I never heard of an injury caused by the ball. Although one guy rolled onto something sharp (paper clip? push pin) and the ball deflated in an instant!

It's because some stupid a-hole will roll backwards on purpose and hurt themselves and sue the crap out of the company and never have to work again. that's why. It's really not the companies fault. Smaller companies don't think of those thigns and don't have the experience.

You can ALWAYS tell how a company has been burned by looking at it's contracts and it's policies.
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Okay! I'll tell myself I can't then
  • Yukongil
    Yukongil Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I've been thinking of getting one of these and I think this thread convinced me to. Luckily I make the rules for the office, so unless I suddenly manifest a disagreeable split personality, I don't see this being a problem!
  • gavini
    gavini Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    i started doing this at my desk after i read this thread yesterday, was starting to get tired when i went home but not too bad, now today, after 3 hours sitting on the ball at my desk my back is definitely tired and I am looking for excuses to get up which is a good thing since studies show a great benefit to getting up every 30 min or so.
  • ceajules
    Options
    I am soooo going to do this thanks!!
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I'm a computer person, which means I spend a LOT of time sitting in front of a desk. That also meant a whole lot of not-active moving around time. Thankfully someone gave me this great idea, which I thought i'd share.

One of the best things I did was throw out my office chair and get a yoga ball instead. Not only can I not sit on it for hours at a time like a chair, I'm constantly bouncing around and also needing to sit up straight, and balance myself on the thing. Great core work!

The first week was a bit tiresome (to that point, I sleep a LOT better now), but after that it's freaking great. If you're an office monkey like me, give it a try. You can get a $20 big red yoga ball at a place like Sports Authority. Start a trend in your office!
    I did this; the only problem: it's not quite tall enough. Sometimes things on my screens are at the wrong angle, so I can't see them the way I'm meant to. And everyone who walks past my office has to stop and laugh at me because I look so short now.
  • sed1217
    sed1217 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I'm going to get one of these tonight. I have a bad back and my posture is deplorable - hopefully this will help me to strengthen my core