What type of exercise has given you the best results?

Options

Replies

• obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    LIfting heavy weights
  • CariBgood
    CariBgood Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Have you tried intervals on the elliptical??? You go balls to the wall for 40 seconds and then walk slow for 2 minutes alternating. I tried it for the first time tonight and I have to tell you I feel awesome. It gave me a different kind of burn. I am planning on doing this 3 days per week and then I do circuit training 2 days per week. Have fun!
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    I've started doing weights and I've been doing them since Maybut I haven't seen much of a difference... Cardio seems to work best for me.
    If you haven't seen any results in that amount of time my guess would be that your weights aren't heavy enough.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    HEAVY WEIGHTS.

And some cardio for heart health and because I love playing sports but mostly HEAVY WEIGHTS.
  • elivanderslice
    Options
    Considering the fact that running 3 miles may only burn 300 calories and that can be replaced in ten seconds with a cookie, I would say diet is the fastest way to lose fat. Consider intermittent fasting and the 6 meal a day thing that bodybuilders have been doing is not necessary at all. Studies show that intermittent fasting such as a schedule of 16 hrs fast and 8 hrs feeding showed the weight loss was 90% fat and only 10% muscle where as typically you will lose 75% fat and 25% muscle. Check out the studies on leangains.com. Anything that gets your heart rate in the target zone will burn fat. I like mountain biking because I am mountain biking and it has nothing to do with "having to do cardio".
  • miadhail
    miadhail Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    ZUMBA :)
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    Weight lifting, ChaLEAN Extreme and now P90X. I've had better results now, at 40, than I have with anything else I've done since my mid-20s, when I first started working out consistently...
  • dellashanks
    dellashanks Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Lifting weights! I love it and it has made a huge differance in loss and the way I look...
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

I currently use and elliptical but I was given 30DS and Insanity for my birthday. Plan on using these as I lose a little more weight (down 8 so far).

I am interested in running. I have C25K on my phone and am seriously considering trying this soon!

Since I am just starting out, I would love to hear what form of exercise has given you your best results.

Thanks,
    Maggie

1) Lifting weights
    2) running, a variety, HIIT, moderate pace runs, easy long runs.
    In that order.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    Working hard gives me the best results. Walking was good, running was better and running faster was better than that.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Intense weight training...easily. Cardio is fine and good, but weight training is the only way to get firm and tight. Cardio alone won't do that.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    I eat TDEE - 20%, take long walks every day, lift weights 2-3 times a week. Eating at a deficit is the main factor.
  • abirkel
    Options
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Mix it up. Strength and cardio both, but most importantly especially do what you enjoy!
  • lilsuz77
    lilsuz77 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have been bicycling 15 miles everyday. It takes about 1 hour and 20 minutes for me, but I love it because I am outside,
  • ErinRibbens
    ErinRibbens Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Spinning burns tons of calories and I enjoyed it when I used to do that. That plus lifting heavy and a good diet will do it for you!
  • Fat2Fit4Life
    Fat2Fit4Life Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    SWIMMING - combines cardio with a bit of resistance and the best low-impact exercise u can do. Burns a crap ton of calories, as well.

Got to round things out - combine with Running (if you can do it), Elliptical (my fav), and Strength Training (body weight & free weights)
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Best results for what? Weight loss? Weight gain? Cardio endurance increase? Musclular endurance increase? Jumping higher? Running faster? Being stronger? Looking better naked?

All of the above....maybe not the jumping though :smile:
  • _workforit
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

I currently use and elliptical but I was given 30DS and Insanity for my birthday. Plan on using these as I lose a little more weight (down 8 so far).

I am interested in running. I have C25K on my phone and am seriously considering trying this soon!

Since I am just starting out, I would love to hear what form of exercise has given you your best results.

Thanks,
    Maggie

Personally, I get bored easily so I am constantly changing up my workout routine. However, I am a firm believer in balance - I would reccommend that everyone get at least 30 min of cardio & 30 min of something else (whether it be strength training, endurance/agility training, circuit, etc.). I also like signing up for events to train for rather than just working out to be skinny. I find its alot more motivating than just trying to lose the pounds. For instance last year, I trained for my first triathlon. Not only did I successfully complete it, but I felt so powerful afterwards. Its a great self esteem booster when you realize you CAN do something you never thought you could. Currently I'm training for a half marathon.

Let me know how your progress goes!
  • jerseygirlmaggie
    jerseygirlmaggie Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Have you tried intervals on the elliptical??? You go balls to the wall for 40 seconds and then walk slow for 2 minutes alternating. I tried it for the first time tonight and I have to tell you I feel awesome. It gave me a different kind of burn. I am planning on doing this 3 days per week and then I do circuit training 2 days per week. Have fun!

Cari, I am building up to this. I usually try to do the last minute of my workout at full speed giving it all I've got. Great idea!