What's everyone's thoughts on 5 HOUR ENERGY ?

Options

Replies

• sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    It's mostly a liquid B vitamin complex drink with some caffeine thrown in for good measure. I hate the taste of that brand, but I will admit to using other sugar free energy boosters - but the ones i use normally have additional stuff in it than vitamins & caffeine.

Save money and get the B vitamin in pill form, take it w/ a cup of black coffee - cheaper and will do the same.

(Trust me - i like my energy drinks, but I hunt around to find them on sale, buy 20-30 @ 1.00 to .99 and make them last the month - IE: only 1 or 2 a day. I can't do coffee - heartburn issues... and honestly, I want to even stop these as I really don't need to be blowing $$ on them - but hard as heck to stop.)

Remember kids - caffeine is addictive.
  • emnk5308
    Options
    I HATE that Damn commercial with a passion!!!

"73% of Dr's would recommend an energy supplement to their healthy patients who use energy supplements"
    ^Anyone else have a WTF moment?

I drink Monster's and coffee.. I'll have a 5 Hr if neither of those other things are available just so I don't get a headache. It doesn't taste bad.. .and it does work.
  • sktllmdrhmzz
    sktllmdrhmzz Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've had good luck with them. I have one every now and then, mostly when I have to drive for forever and I'm dragging.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    My BF picks these up sometimes. I've tried 5hr Energy - it tastes just awful. Redline tastes much better and seems to give an energy boost without making me feel really strange. But, I'm used to having about three cups of blacker-than-black coffee during workdays, so maybe I'm used to the caffeine. :)
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I HATE that Damn commercial with a passion!!!

"73% of Dr's would recommend an energy supplement to their healthy patients who use energy supplements"
    ^Anyone else have a WTF moment?

I drink Monster's and coffee.. I'll have a 5 Hr if neither of those other things are available just so I don't get a headache. It doesn't taste bad.. .and it does work.

I've had that exact same thought! 73% of Dr's said something that has nothing to do with the quality of this product, but we're going to say this in a way that makes you think 73% of Dr's prescribe 5 hour energy to their patients.

Of course, I use it upon occasion when I need the boost, not so much lately since I've been eating better and exercising, but it's the ONLY energy product I buy and it's the ONLY one I've found to actually work for me without the jittery side effects.
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    nutritional info--

Vitamin B3 (Niacin) - 150% (of % daily value)
    Vitamin B6 - 2,000%
    Vitamin B9 (folic acid) - 100%
    Vitamin B12 - 8,333%

plus 1,870mg of their "Energy Blend":
    Citicoline
    Tyrosine
    Phenylalanine
    Taurine
    Malic Acid
    Glucuronolactone
    Caffeine (a strong cup's worth)

this is for the ORIGINAL only, not extra strength.
  • IronmanPanda
    IronmanPanda Posts: 2,083 Member
    Options
    They are always giving them out at the race expo's I go to. I've tried it once and it wrecked my stomach for days. I think I went through a whole 6 pack of toilet paper that weekend...
  • betseyjane
    betseyjane Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    i felt like my heart rate was going crazy, and felt weird. i could not wait, until it ran out of my system. that was only half of a shot too... never again!
  • dansls1
    dansls1 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is teh debil - don't do it.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I've never tried it...I don't know why because I used to be a HUGE fan of artificial energy, but it skeeves me out for some reason.
  • Lisseth03
    Lisseth03 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I haven't had it in years, but I remember it tasting like crap.
  • danne32339
    danne32339 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've tried it a couple of times but I could never tell that it didi any good.
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options
    Never had it. My thoughts are: "If I am tired, get more sleep. If I am feeling lack of energy, eat better and make sure I am taking my iron pill." if my body is telling me it is TOO tired to work out, then I listened to it, rest, eat a heathy snack, then workout.

A fruit protein smoothie wakes me up and gives me Morning energy. Trader Joes honey-sesame almonds keep me alert on long drives. 'Natural sugar, protein, crunchy'
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    :drinker:
    Never had it! I am a redbull girl :drinker:

Red Bull is the only drink left that seems to actually help.
  • dme1977
    dme1977 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    let me just say, they and most of the little energy shots are the MOST disgusting tasting thing I have EVER put in my mouth on purpose. I cant get past the taste to even think about using them again. .. Even with a juice, or coffee chaser the taste and after taste is nasty!
  • acksaysbillthecat
    Options
    I took it once, and no effect at all, even though I am very sensitive to caffeine. Plus caffeine is not good for you, so no reason to start it!
  • sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Plus caffeine is not good for you, so no reason to start it!

actually... you are incorrect. there are some big health benefits of caffeine.
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    It doesn't have any more caffeine in it than a cup of coffee. And it tastes like crap.
  • Loulady
    Loulady Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    The only time I've had one was in the middle of an all-night bender, and it was bad news bears.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Studies have shown it to have no effect on performance after drinking it, but used post-workout it may help the next workout.

This is specific to one drink, but most of these energy drinks have similar ingredients.
    One such supplement is XS® Energy Drink which contains B vitamins,
    caffeine, taurine, and an herbal adaptogen blend. XS® Energy Drink is primarily designed and
    marketed as an alertness stimulus; however, it is also marketed to athletes as a performance
    enhancing supplement. The hypothesis of this investigation was that the consumption of XS®
    Energy Drink before exercise would increase aerobic capacity (an increase in Vo2max) and time
    to fatigue, and would decrease time for recovery from the exercise bout.
    Vo2max (p=0.99), time to muscle fatigue (p=0.48), maximum heart rate (p=0.66), VEmax
    (p=0.10), time at which R is greater than 1 (p=0.50), or recovery time to one half Vo2max (p=0.67)
    were not significantly different with ingestion of XS® Energy Drink over placebo. The second
    trial was significantly longer than the first (p=0.01) likely due to the desire to improve exercise
    time or familiarization with the testing procedures. Results showed no physiological effects of
    XS® Energy Drink; however, there is a possibility of psychological advantage.

http://digitalcommons.wku.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1307&context=ijes