Dressing for cool weather runs?

2»

Replies

• ATclassof2021
    ATclassof2021 Posts: 232 Member
    Everyone has their own tolerance to cold. Down to the freezing mark I'm still in shorts but will wear my half zip over a wicking base layer.

The trick is to dress in layers and not to wear too much (you should be a little cool at the start of your run - you'll warm up).

I agree 100% with this comment......would get some gloves and cheep hats from walmart. I buy a 5 pack of the cheap gloves from walmart so if I lose them or get tired of carring them during a race I can dump them and I am only out about a $1. You can also get stocking caps there for about a $1 each as well. I never wear tights unless it is like 20 or lower.....I sweat like crazy in those things. Enjoy the cool weather, you will find yourself running faster and further....
  • 1holegrouper
    1holegrouper Posts: 323 Member
    You might find this helpful: www.runnersworld.com/whattowear

I wear shorts until it dips down below 40F, and capris until it's below 30 or so. Short sleeves above 40F (tanks above 60F) and long sleeve tech T for 30-40F. Below that, I may wear a running jacket for wind or sometimes a vest. It all depends upon how hot or warm you like to be, but the key thing is to wear technical (wicking) fabrics all 'round. I never run in a warm hat, but cover my ears with a headband below 30F (and follow similar guidelines for gloves).

Hope you find this online tool helpful!

This^^^^^ above is coming from real experience. I would add mereno wool running socks (ex; SmartWool). They are very versatile and are comfortable from about 0-100 degrees. When its cold you have to pay much more attention to moisture management and the wicking fabric advice above is crucial.