Weigh ins, how often should they happen?

Options
I've read a lot about how your body weight fluctuates a lot day to day given lots of different circumstances, and I know I don't want to weigh every day. Right now I have weigh ins set up for every other week but I get anxious about six days in. Would it be realistic to weigh in every week or will I get a better picture of my progress if I do my weight and measurments every other week?

Replies

• mrsgoodwine
    mrsgoodwine Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every morning when I wake up (naked and after I pee) sorry for the TMI. I don't weigh any other time of the day because of water and food fluctuations. I weigh myself every day because if any damage is done, I want to be able to undue it as quick as possible.
  • pattyg1821
    Options
    alot of people on this board will tell you weekly....but i do daily to know where I am because I do have so problems with retention and I do not add salt too food either. For me personally I don't let it freak me out. Some days is going to be better then others. But I work harder if I know I had a worse eating day and know I have to work it off.

Personally I feel more accountable if I wiegh daily so.

Because the same people on here that will B&G about why someone let them get so fat are the same ones that will tell you not to weigh daily.

Im sure alot of fat people including myself for years never weighed themselves and people always wonder why we got to this point. Now that I am tracking my weight daily I feel accountable for why I let me self get so fat in the first place.
  • ptjolsen
    ptjolsen Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning. right before i jump in the shower.
  • GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    wow, good to see so many people weighing daily, today! I also weight daily - it lets you collect more data so you can understand the fluctuations and it takes away the anxiety attack that most weekly or monthly weighers have - or worse, the depression that follows because you weight in weekly but gain or stay the same because of weight fluctuation, but you don't have enough data to understand what happened...
  • gingerjen7
    gingerjen7 Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot about how your body weight fluctuates a lot day to day given lots of different circumstances, and I know I don't want to weigh every day. Right now I have weigh ins set up for every other week but I get anxious about six days in. Would it be realistic to weigh in every week or will I get a better picture of my progress if I do my weight and measurments every other week?
    I weigh in once a week. I'd go nuts with the back and forth if I did it every day, but if I went longer than a week, I wouldn't know if I needed to adjust something soon enough.
  • xoleanne
    xoleanne Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i'm doing every two weeks :)
  • WRXymama
    WRXymama Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning to keep myself incheck, but I do my "weigh in" every Monday morning (after my 3 sss...you know, to help reduce the weight. Leg hair weighs a lot ya know ;) LOL ).
  • arosethorn
    arosethorn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm making sure I weigh-in once a week. I can't stand the anticipation. Sometimes, if I will weigh-in sooner, like every 3 days. It's really up to you!
  • bms34b
    bms34b Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    I'm another morning, post-pee weigher. I write it down and do a weekly average, keeping into account changes in my workouts, sodium intake, or monthly cycle. Cheers!
  • arosethorn
    arosethorn Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't wait to long in case you need to make some changes...
  • CoolestNecessity
    Options
    I weigh in every morning, but I only record the losses. It helps me stay motivated, yet have enough information to work extra hard on the up days. (Routine: Wake up, use bathroom, weigh, workout (here's where you work it hard), shower!)
  • mlegosz
    mlegosz Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    i would recommend giving up the scale (as a form of progress indication) and take measurements & photos instead, especially if you're doing strength exercises.
  • Mguilmot
    Mguilmot Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Once a month. Weigh somewhere else, throw out the scale.
    You'll be amazed how liberating that is ;-)
  • bellydancer124
    Options
    I weigh myself a few times a week, but I only record my Wednesday morning weigh-in. I don't own a scale, so I have to rely on the scale at the gym.
  • totallydevious
    totallydevious Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I weigh in once a week, Saturday morning and do measurements the first Saturday of the month.
    If I did it any more than that, I think I would go nuts and worry about the numbers too much.
  • twistygirl
    twistygirl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I weigh once ever six weeks, that's also when I do my measurements this is a life style change for me the scale is worthless for me due to water retention. Love my tape measure. Please do what ever floats your boat:)
  • yecatsml
    yecatsml Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Daily as well. I love data and the more the better. I also use this site:

http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/online/hdo.html

It uses trending which smooths out the daily ups and downs and gives you a more accurate picture over time. I love it!!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    First thing in the morning. 5AM, naked and after I pee. This helps remind me to stay on my program. My official wegh in is the Monday morning weight? i measure once a month.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Weekly, same day, same time / circumstances. I find if I weigh daily I get very 'obsessed' with the numbers and that was just too much stress. Fluctuations happen A LOT so if you can handle seeing a different weight every time you step on the scale then weigh more often.

If you find yourself posting here daily "OMG OMG I GAINED 3 LBS LAST NIGHT" then I highly recommend weighing yourself less ;)
  • dirtydmvkid
    Options
    I weigh in daily. Keeps me focused on my goal. There are ups and down but the scale is headed downwards in general.