You won't believe how I've lost weight...

Options

Replies

• zoeluiisa
    Options
    Nice one OP. That kinda thing has helped me as well.
    To those who say the rate the OP is losing weight is not enough for you, you seem to have considerably a lot more to lose. When you're only a handful of pounds to your goal, let's see how fast you go.

THIS. When you're smaller, it takes much longer.

And FYI people - it's not a competition.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    And here is the difference between a lifestyle change, and a diet. I see people losing 3 times the amount of weight I have in the same period, but they're eating 1200 calories. I wonder how quick they'll put it back on... when they try and get to maintenance, they're gunna struggle. I could never succeed for more than a month on 1200. What a miserable life to lead!

I've lost 7.6lb in 6 months, but I'm also down 11", and have gone from a UK size 14, to a loose 12/tight 10. I have another 6.4lb to lose, then I shall see how I feel and work on toning up some more!

If you have 200lb to lose, of course you're going to lose it faster than us folk who only have 10-20lb to lose. Jeez.
  • taiyola
    Options

I have lost 8 lbs since April, really toned my waist, and I try to login every day to MFP :)

It is great that it works for you. Kinda slow progress, don't you think? 8LB in 5 months? I just don't know if your "diet" is sustainable and successful. If so, more power to you. But why would you stop working out? I find it pleasure of coming home from a gym. Maybe you doing physical work for a living. But still... Don't you agree you want to keep in shape? We are not getting any younger. Anyway, enough my my rant, and again - glad it worked for you

Try reading her post before posting. Your post makes no sense.

Exactly.
  • taiyola
    Options
    That's great you feel good about it. I only started losing weight in Feb this year. I've lost 59lbs in 6 months by NOT having desert & NOT going to the gym once. I run, Zumba, Pilates & other things like dancing like a moron. I eat better & make sure I can fit it in before I even workout. I set my burn for a set cal target rather than how long. It works for me & I'm working out every single day. Even when sick.

8lbs in 5 months would drive me batty.

That's because you have a lot to lose, she doesn't. Surely people can't actually be this silly?! Of course you're going to lose weight quicker when you weigh a lot more.

:noway:
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    8 pounds in five months is pretty close to dead on track for the half pound a week that recommended when you have less than 20 pounds to lose, so... GREAT JOB! Even better job when you're enjoying every step of the progress.

Those of you hung up on the scale are going to be in for a huge disappointment when you get close to your goal. Finding other ways to track progress and find motivation is the key to long term success.

For that matter, I weigh MORE than I did a year ago, by about 5 pounds, and look leaner than I did then.
  • bpotts44
    bpotts44 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster. Haven't been to a gym in ages. I've lost 30 lbs in 3 months. I run and bike 4-6 times per week, I do body weight resistance exercises (push ups, pull ups, squats, lunges, etc) and I eat in moderate calorie deficit and avoid junk. Pretty much every workout I enjoy getting outside with fresh air and sun. Pretty straight forward stuff.
  • joybedford
    joybedford Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    I think 8 lb is a fantastic achievement well done. I have about 10lb left to lose and some weeks i stay the same even gain a bit but I can see progress when i look in the mirror and my clothes are looser. i also never ever go to the gym i had a gym membership but found i didn,t have time to go so we moved our dining room to the conservatory (not sure how this will work in the winter) and turned the dining room into a gym, we have a weight cage and free weights, a rowing machine, exercise ball and kettlebells in there I also run 3-4 times a week and occasional do jillian michaels DVDs.The next investment will be a treadmill. I work out 6 days a week but I can do it when it fits in with my life if I don,t get chance i can do it when the kids are in bed, it suits me perfectly.
  • iron_jj
    iron_jj Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Some people are so rude.. Not everyone is 100 pounds overweight. Now that I've slimmed down I lose like 1.5pounds in a month. 8lbs in 5 is great considering you started out with a goal of 17 to lose. Great job, glad you found what worked for you. :flowerforyou:
  • kykykenna
    kykykenna Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Nice one OP. That kinda thing has helped me as well.
    To those who say the rate the OP is losing weight is not enough for you, you seem to have considerably a lot more to lose. When you're only a handful of pounds to your goal, let's see how fast you go.

YES. YES. YES. And congrats, OP! Job well done!!!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Glad that worked for you..
    But 8 lbs in 5 months would never keep me motivated to make any sort of change in my life.

I lost about 3 pounds in 17 months........but I also went from this to this
    6244928159_bbcc74efd8_n.jpg
    dan,kids party, liam poop , lucie dogs 037 by yanicka.hachez, on Flickr

11614737_2272.jpg

The scale is far from being the whole story.

OP. Great job finding what work for you, I am sure you can do thise for the rest of your life. It is a great exemple of how you have to make the diet work with your life instead of your life work for your diet
  • dwh77tx
    dwh77tx Posts: 513 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! For those who don't think that 8 pounds in 5 months is great, as others have pointed out, I didn't really have a lot to lose. I'm just your average 35 year old mom who was at a decent weight for my height, 134 at 5'3. My clothes weren't fitting great last April and I needed to change things up. My clothes fit great now, and I am really toning up. I don't even think I want to get down to my goal weight at 117 anyway. I'm just happy as I'm not depriving myself at all, and am seeing results! :)
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    There, another hugely valid point: Lorina and Yanika. One gained, one lost 3 pounds, and yet look at that. That's what happens when you've not got a load of fat to shed.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    I got sweaty but not like I do now! Now, I try to do something different everyday- zumba, Turbo Jam at home, bike rides, 30DS.

I eat every few hours instead of starving myself between meals and being ravenous when I did eat and then overeating.

You mean you can lose weight by a) being physically active on a regular basis b) not starving yourself to the extent that you end up binging so you stay at deficit?

Who knew?
  • sherisse69
    sherisse69 Posts: 795 Member
    Options

I have lost 8 lbs since April, really toned my waist, and I try to login every day to MFP :)

It is great that it works for you. Kinda slow progress, don't you think? 8LB in 5 months? I just don't know if your "diet" is sustainable and successful. If so, more power to you. But why would you stop working out? I find it pleasure of coming home from a gym. Maybe you doing physical work for a living. But still... Don't you agree you want to keep in shape? We are not getting any younger. Anyway, enough my my rant, and again - glad it worked for you

If you read through her post she is working out. She changed it up. Instead of going to the gym, where she didn't try as hard as she could, she keeps it to things she can do at home or outside. And clearly it is "sustainable" as this is sounding like it fits her lifestyle better. She doesn't want to be stuck in the gym everyday. So if this is what works for her, and she is happy with her success - really that is all that matters, right?

Great job OP! You found what works for you! Awesome!
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Think about it like this, y'all...lose 8 pounds over a few months while not even feeling like you are on a diet?
    Or lose 10 lbs in a month trying to stick to an abitrarily low calorie number and be back where you started (plus some) when "life" gets in the way and you find it impossible to stick to so few calories forever? (That was me before.)

I was also one of those slow and steady losers when losing weight, losing about 2 lbs a month, taking almost a year to lose 30 lbs. My last 6 pounds were lost over a five month period...but that equaled a jeans size and my progress pictures in a thong were exactly the results I was hoping for! It works well for some of us!

Congrats, girl! :drinker:

Amazing dedication! I so love the 'slow and steady' way, its the only way that works LONG-TERM. If people cant wait a few months to lose 8lbs, how the hell are they going to keep the weight off for life?

Can I ask, how many calories were you eating while losing this slow + what type of workouts & how often? x
    On rest days, usually somewhere around 1600-1800 cals, spread out over six meals. On workout days, that plus some of my exercise cals--2000-2200. I'm hungrier when I work out harder, and when I'm hungry, I EAT.
    Workouts--weights 3xweek (dummbells at home), martial arts 3-5 times a week.

When I look at some of my friends' diaries and see that they are taking in 1200 cals or less, only eating a bowl of cereal for breakfast, a lean cuisine for lunch, and then a light supper, I still congratulate them on their 2lb per week loss. They are achieving the goal they have set for themselves. It's not my goal, but it's theirs, so I don't hound them to eat more unless they are having trouble and/or specifically asking for advice.
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Great work so far keep it up!

What you are doing is working for you and that`s what`s important!
  • Madux1818
    Madux1818 Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster. Haven't been to a gym in ages. I've lost 30 lbs in 3 months. I run and bike 4-6 times per week, I do body weight resistance exercises (push ups, pull ups, squats, lunges, etc) and I eat in moderate calorie deficit and avoid junk. Pretty much every workout I enjoy getting outside with fresh air and sun. Pretty straight forward stuff.

Dead On!!!! Straight forward stuff. And Cute baby!
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    So good to read this because I am losing very slowly these past few months, but I can tell in the inches I have lost, my pants getting loose and my pictures. Thank you for sharing. I just like living a healthy life so slow or not I am gonna get to my goal and enjoy doing it.:happy:
  • Vicki8524
    Options
    Glad you found something that works for you! Congrats on your loss!
  • anacsitham5
    anacsitham5 Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym either, but definately can not eat late at night. Late night snacking - even a small amount or a healthy snack just packs the pounds back on me. I know, I've lost 5 of the 10 I gained letting myself eat a late night snack during the last 6 months. Now if I'm hungry I will only eat 4 animal crackers (max) and no more (and only if my stomach is growling). Usually for me, if I go to bed slightly hungry I wake up full. If I go to bed full, I wake up hungry. It's a strange thing.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!