WINE!!!!

Options
emilynicole02
emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
Hello all, I am relatively new to the wine world and just wondering what everyone's favorite brand, flavor, etc is!
And what type of wine goes best with what meals!

I just bought the brand 'barefoot' Moscato and I also got 'Mondovi' White Zin!

Replies

• coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    Barefoot Moscato is one of my FAVORITES <3
  • Williamj
    Williamj Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    For me it depends on the meal. I like everything from Pinot Noir to Cabernet Sauvignon. If I'm having a glass without a meal I tend to enjoy a lighter red.
  • Nix143
    Nix143 Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Red wine all the way for me - pretty much love all the New World wines

But when I want to treat myself then it's Barolo all the way. Nom.
  • crazy_ninja
    crazy_ninja Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    As long as its red and not sweet its good for any meal :) oh....I realy like having a glass without meal, also :)
  • Lisamar74
    Options
    I love my wine far too much! Obviously the saying goes that you drink white with white meat and fish and red with red meat. But I say drink what you like best. When it comes to red wine I like Merlot or Shiraz and for white I like Chardonnay or Pinot Grigio. Stay clear of anything that says it's a 'blend'. These will likely give you a bad head if you're not used to drinking wine.
  • tuckerpurple
    Options
    Livingston Red Rose..Or pretty much anything sweet. I do like moscato also.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options

Ditto, it is a good tasting wine.
    Pinot Noir

That is pry my favorite red.

White zin is for teenagers.
  • LifeIsNotADressRehearsal
    Options
    Always red - not always paired with food :smile: J Lohr cab sav.....nummy
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Really is no 'right wine with food'. Some wines do help enhance food flavours...but for a general guideline, "drink what you like with what you like to eat".

:)

I've had more good reds than whites.

My favourite reasonable-cost wine? Fidelitas Meritage - some GREAT **** right there. Here's a review:

www.winefoot.com/2008/05/fidelitas-2001-meritage/
  • emilynicole02
    emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
    Options

Pinot Noir

like i said....new to the wine world, and i barely know anything about wines...
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I'm a white wine gal, the drier the better!

Red wine is lovely, but it gives me a terrible headache so I tend to steer clear.

French Chablis or Pouilly Fume when I can afford them, but I got to like a lot of Italian wines when I visted there this year, so I'm currently enjoying Vermentino.
  • morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Yes please red!
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Yellowtail Shiraz. Tastes good, price is right, gets you drunk.
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options

^^^THIS!! I love my Moscato!
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Our Daily Red is a nice, basic red wine. I also like pretty much any New Zealand Sauvingon Blanc for my white.
  • trophywife24
    trophywife24 Posts: 1,472 Member
    Options
    I loooooove Barefoot moscato, too. It's like liquid candy. I'm not a huge wine drinker but when I do have it, I like it super sweet.
  • Dragonnade
    Dragonnade Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    You should see my winerack. I get quarterly deliveries of lovely, lovely red wine and it is a joyous occasion. This whole healthy living thing is totally interfering with my drinking though.

If you're in the UK, I'd definitely recommend Laithwaites. Everything they send me is delicious.

http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/DWBase/jsp/article/index.jsp?productId=prod2913936 - Show Stopper durif. So ridiculously delicious I bought a full case.
    http://www.laithwaites.co.uk/DWBase/jsp/article/index.jsp?productId=prod3595495 - Chocolatier shiraz. Moustache on the label. Again delicious. A most unusual drop.

See also El Bombero, Black Stump, President's XV for immensely quaffable powerful reds.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

Pinot Noir

like i said....new to the wine world, and i barely know anything about wines...

If you want to learn, There are several different ways. Attending tastings is one. 15-16 yrs ago, when I started to develop amore serious interest in wine, I would attend weekly tastings at a local wine store. I probably tasted 400 wines a year. You learn a lot just by trying the different wines and talking to the representatives.

You can also look for seminars in your area or a local tasting group. Finally, if you are looking to pair wines with specific foods, working with a knowledgeable person at a local store can be helpful. The more experiences you have, the more you learn - and you get to "drink on the job"!.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    My favorite reds: Mirassou Pinot Noir (light) , BV Estates Cabernet (heavy)
    My favorite whites: Kendall Jackson Chardonnay (oaky), Barefoot Moscato (sweet)

Someone mentioned staying away from blends, but I really like Three Sisters Menage a Trois (blended white)

All of these are fairly reasonable. I do pretty much follow the rules, red meat or red sauces get red wine; white meat or white sauces get white wine. Pinot goes well with both. The sweet stuff I don't drink with meals. Actually I'll drink any of these without meals! It's all good!
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    Menage a Trois is really good (the red blend)

Sexy Wine bomb (again, Red) is excellent...

Red Velvet from Cupcake winery is good

Noticing a red theme here Lol-it's my fav.

Big fan of BIG red wines...Malbecs, Cabernet...Chianti...Pinot Noir...nom...Nom....NOM