WINE!!!!

Options

Replies

• MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    We've got lots of great wineries around us too....and our new favorite restaurant is a wine bar-superp local selections.

We went to this wine fest this past May and got stocked up on wine...a case and a half. But the stuff is so good we save it for special occasions only. There's a holiday wine in there (spiced wine) that is SOOOO GOOOD. Can't wait to break into it!
  • Dub_D
    Dub_D Posts: 1,760 Member
    Options
    Bear Flags. It's cheap too! $15 a bottle.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Barefoot Moscato is one of my FAVORITES <3

Ditto, it is a good tasting wine.
    Pinot Noir

That is pry my favorite red.

White zin is for teenagers.

like i said....new to the wine world, and i barely know anything about wines...

If you want to learn, There are several different ways. Attending tastings is one. 15-16 yrs ago, when I started to develop amore serious interest in wine, I would attend weekly tastings at a local wine store. I probably tasted 400 wines a year. You learn a lot just by trying the different wines and talking to the representatives.

You can also look for seminars in your area or a local tasting group. Finally, if you are looking to pair wines with specific foods, working with a knowledgeable person at a local store can be helpful. The more experiences you have, the more you learn - and you get to "drink on the job"!.

^^this....join a club at a local wine shop if you can.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    If you are in the US, I am a big fan of wine.woot.com. Different offering every day, range of price points.

Make sure you store it correctly - on its side, in the dark, preferably between 50-60F. Or plan to drink it within a few days.

A group at our church (gotta love us Lutherans) does a wine tasting every year or so -- local wine merchant comes in with half a dozen varieties to sample, and walks us through the tasting notes.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    its a private label you cant get in stores, so I just have to keep my fingers crossed that I happen get my hands on some.
  • redfroggie
    redfroggie Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    Yellow Tail for sure! I love the shiraz. Yum Yum.

The way I find new and interesting wines is very scientific...I look at the label and if it's unique and funky, I try it. :drinker: I have found some really nice ones this way, like Little Penguin wines and Wollhemi wines. I just liked the look of the label.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i'm actually a big fan of the australian wines. yellow tail is good, try their shiraz. wines from chile and aregentina are also amazing (malbec)

want to be a little fancy? go to the spain section. rioja or tempranillo, or grenache. for a white, if you can get your hands on an Albariño please do it. you won't regret it.

the pairing of wine with food has always been a tricky task, as so much of it depends on your own personal palate. try what you like, and experiment.

also, i don't believe in wine bottle stoppers. you open a bottle of wine, you finish a bottle of wine.

btw, this past weekend i made some vino at my parents house. something we've been doing for years. we made my dads wine on saturday, about 90gallons. next saturday we'll start on mine, about 30 gallons.

this is our set up

wine2.jpg

wine1.jpg
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    All of it? Lol. As long as it isn't super sweet (dessert wines, ugh). I have taken to buying exclusively German whites (I visited the Rhein are a while ago and like to reminisce) and Michigan-made wines in support of local trade.
  • tritepoet
    tritepoet Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Right now, I'm into Toasted Head chardonnay, Dancing Bull merlot, and Polka Dot riesling.
  • Serenitytoo
    Serenitytoo Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    I tnd to prefer whites, but do like some reds as well. As many have said the best way is to attend a wine fest or go to wineries to taste.

My current Fav is the Bacchus it is nice and fruity, but not too sweet. I luckily live in wine country here in Canda and toured a few wineries a couple weeks ago. There are a few fuit wineries around as well and some of those were really good, we liked the apricot wine.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    i'm actually a big fan of the australian wines. yellow tail is good, try their shiraz. wines from chile and aregentina are also amazing (malbec)

want to be a little fancy? go to the spain section. rioja or tempranillo, or grenache. for a white, if you can get your hands on an Albariño please do it. you won't regret it.

the pairing of wine with food has always been a tricky task, as so much of it depends on your own personal palate. try what you like, and experiment.

also, i don't believe in wine bottle stoppers. you open a bottle of wine, you finish a bottle of wine.

btw, this past weekend i made some vino at my parents house. something we've been doing for years. we made my dads wine on saturday, about 90gallons. next saturday we'll start on mine, about 30 gallons.

this is our set up

wine2.jpg

wine1.jpg

I love seeing these pictures.
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Personally I only drink reds. I have about 40ish bottles in my stash currently.

The best wine to drink is the wine YOU like...personally, I can't touch any of the Barefoot reds I have tried, although I'm not opposed to cheaper wines. If you have an HEB near you or even other wine vendors, look for Rare Red, it's an inexpensive blend that is really good. Another decent cheap wine I like is Rex Goliath Cab.

I mostly enjoy Cabs, Malbecs, and some red blends, and sometimes an Pinot Noir. Honig is an excellent cab, but runs about $30 a bottle at Specs, a liquor store chain that has a great selection. Not sure what all market areas they are in. Freemark Abbey & Fransiscan are also great cabs. Fransiscan seems to be easy to find at most grocers in my area and generally runs $18-30 a bottle depending on vintage.

I don't get twisted up with pairing wines and foods, as I don't care for whites, and am particular about the wines I like.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    All of it? Lol. As long as it isn't super sweet (dessert wines, ugh). I have taken to buying exclusively German whites (I visited the Rhein are a while ago and like to reminisce) and Michigan-made wines in support of local trade.

If you like the region, wander over occasonally to Alsace. Pinot Gris and Gewurtztraminers are some of the best food-pairing wines around.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options

If you like the region, wander over occasonally to Alsace. Pinot Gris and Gewurtztraminers are some of the best food-pairing wines around.

Thanks, I will check that out!
  • Jonesingmucho
    Jonesingmucho Posts: 4,902 Member
    Options
    I like red.
    My favorite is the one that is open.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Barefoot Moscato is one of my FAVORITES <3

I Like bella Serra brand!

beringer brand is my fave white zin.
  • bakingmadness
    bakingmadness Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    My favorite wine is Castello del Poggio Moscato
  • TheRealJigsaw
    TheRealJigsaw Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    vinho verde
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Stella Rossa... OMG... delicious!
  • paulcer
    paulcer Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Pinot Noir

That is pry my favorite red.

White zin is for teenagers.

White zin actually goes quite well with spicy foods. The sweet stands up to Mexican foods and other spicy recipes that less sweet wines will get lost with.

Budweiser is for teenagers. :-P