LF women over 40 who have lost 50+ pounds

Options

Replies

• PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    I am 44 and lost 56 pounds before joining MFP, and have lost 12lbs since joining a few weeks ago. I usually try and stick to 1850 calories a day intake, although I do eat more when I exercise. I have gone from someone who detested exercise to someone who exercises five times a week, and took up running at the end of July!

56 pounds came off through a combination of walking, counting calories and gym sessions a couple of times a week. Not sure how long it took me, but I have kept the weight off for approximately 18 months now, without gaining it all back. Now raring to go to 'remove' the next lot!

Most important factor for me? I am not 'on a diet'. I try and make healthy food choices, and I do religiously log what I eat, but to me it's not about deprivation, rather making wiser choices. If I want some chocolate I will have it, but it's more of a considered decision these days, and usually on an exercise day.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I did not realize that this thread was still alive. It has definitely taken on a life of its own and has brought out some amazing stories that have been inspiring for many of us. I have added around 100 friends in the past 2 months, and many of them have come from this thread.

I started here on MFP on Aug 27, 2012 and soon became very confused by all the conflicting information found on the message boards.

So I decided that I needed to find some women, (because women lose differently than men do)
    around my age, (because at 49 it is quite a bit different than it was at 25)
    and those who were or had been, more than 50 pounds overweight, (because losing while in the obese range is quite different than losing those last 10 pounds of vanity weight).

I wanted to see how the vast majority of those in my situation were succeeding at this weight loss business.

And boy did this work! Thank you to all the ladies that have shared their experiences on here. This thread was started to help ME out, but it has resulted in giving some great advice and inspiration to so many other women as well.

So an update on my progress-

I have reached 20 pounds of weight loss in the 2 months since I have started. I eat around 1200 per day (some days down to 1000 or so) I am eating low/slow carbs. No added process sugars, no bread, pasta, rice, potatoes or starchy vegetables. I eat lean proteins and try to keep my daily total between 80 and 100g, I eat good fats, i.e. nuts, seeds, avocados, etc. Usually one serving of fruit per day, and LOTS of fresh veggies. For the most part I eat 'clean' but I do have an Atkins bar every day as it helps me with my protein levels and makes me feel like I still get to eat a chocolate candy bar!

I don't have a problem staying under my calorie goal. It was a bit difficult adjusting to it in the first week or so, but it quickly became easier and when I cut back on the carbs, it became even easier.

I did figure out that the BMR that MFP calculates for me was over 200 more calories than my actual BMR. Because I have such a high fat %, I needed to use a calculator that takes my body fat % into account. The Katch-Mcardle BMR calculator is a lot more accurate for me. Here is the link to it if anyone wants to check theirs.

http://www.calculatorpro.com/calculator/katch-mcardle-bmr-calculator/

I also found a Body Fat % calculator that uses waist, hips, and neck measurements to figure my BF% more accurately, since I have skinny arms and wrists, but carry all my weight in my midsection. As bad it is hurt to see, at 5'6" and 208 pounds, my Body Fat% is 48%. Here is the link to that calculator-

http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/library/blbodyfatcalculator.htm

I also recently bought a HRM with a chest strap that calculators calories burned based on heart rate. I found out that the MFP database as well as my stationary bike computer, were both giving me a calorie burned number that was TWICE as much as I actually was burning.

So these discrepancies all added up to explain why I can't lose weight eating 1600 calories a day. It also helps me to defend my 1200 calorie diet to those who want to insist that I must eat more. For those of you who CAN eat that much and lose, I am happy for you. But at this point I need to lose faster than 1/2 to 1 pound per week, so I do it strictly but in a healthy way.

So for now, my diet, along with 4-6 bike rides a week, is working well for me. I have averaged close to 2 pounds per week, which is great for me. I know when I get closer to goal weight, I will not lose as quickly, but am enjoying it for now and am looking forward to reaching ONE-derland in the next 4-5 weeks!

And I have met some fantastic ladies on here who inspire me and encourage me to continue on this journey! When I get discouraged, I look at them and know I can do this too.

This is NOT a temporary solution so I can lose the weight then go back to my old habits. This is a lifelong commitment to a permanent change in health habits.

I feel better than I have in years, and yes, I can continue this for the rest of my life as the rewards are so worth the effort!

Ladies- keep adding your stories on here to continue to inspire and encourage the others that come across this thread!

We can do this, for we are all WORTH IT!
  • fukuoka
    fukuoka Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    I wasn't going to respond to this, but reading it was so insightful and inspiring, that I had to put in my 2 cents worth.
    I am 57 and lost 46 lbs since Feb of this year with 13 more lbs to go. Like many of you, I have committed to eating better. (Wish I could say I exercise more, too, but that's kinda hit or miss for me most days -- just hasn't really entered my routine yet.) The first 6 months and 25 lbs lost was on Weight Watchers, which is the only other eating plan that works for me. From July to today, I eat based on Eat To Live, omitting any and all sugar, refined/processed foods, empty carbs and junk. I am eating more calories (in the 1400-1600 range) but way more healthy calories: unlimited veggies, fruits, and legumes; limited nuts, seeds, soy, starches; no meat; fish on occasion (don't like it much); minimal dairy, and most important for me, low sodium intake (under 1000mg a day).
    Great thread! Good motivation for me, as these last 13 lbs are stubbornly hanging on, thus forcing me to get my exercise more often.
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm getting here late, but this thread just popped up on my radar. I am 51. I have lost 67 pounds so far. I lost the first 53 between Feb. 20, 2010 and July 4, 2010. I gained back a few pounds between then and the end of September this year when I started back. I have lost 24 pounds since then. I like to eat. I like to cook. I have a bad back and bone spurs on both heels. When I started the first time, I couldn't walk around the block without a couple of tears and a few stops. I now do 6-10 WATP miles, which is a 14-minute mile, and equivalent to low-impact aerobics nearly every day. Sometimes I go for a much longer much more intense hike and if the weather is good, I ride my bicycle. I do NOT go to the gym at this point, but it is always a possibility down the road I usually eat back most of my exercise calories, sometimes more than, sometimes less than, and sometimes I fall off completely and stuff my face with Chinese buffet or cookies. It's not a race, and occasionally life gets in the way. I eat pretty healthy most of the time-I think-but I have a budget for grocieries so it's not always as great as I would like in an ideal world. I have a glass of wine most every night after dinner. Sometimes two. I have a half to a whole dark chocolate candy bar often. I don't believe there is any one way that works universally, just that what I do works for me.

Barb
  • AuntieMC
    AuntieMC Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    Hi DebbieLynn! I am 56, and I have lost a total of 169 pounds since August of 2011! That is not a typo -- I have lost one hundred and sixty nine pounds! The first 100 pounds came off in six months. Most of the rest came off in the following eight or nine months, then I held steady for two or three months. I still need to lose another 50 or 60 pounds!

I did this with a radical lifestyle change. It could not include exercise, at first, as I had to spend most of the day in bed when I first started, and that didn't change for over six months. I went from drinking coke all day to drinking green tea (unsweetened) all day. I went from eating McDonald's and Taco Bell and salami sandwiches to eating vegetables, vegetables, vegetables! Currently, my diet is plant based, virtually no animal products at all, no sugar, no white flour, no white rice, no white potatoes. I have recently begun to make fresh vegetable juices, too.

By the way, I am coming from a life-long weight problem. I was a 300 pound teenager. Change IS possible, no matter what your age or your history!

Logging calories is a big help! The calories DO add up, even in healthy, clean foods!
  • joy31021
    joy31021 Posts: 216
    Options
    bump
  • ckchilz1
    Options
    I think you have received a lot of good advice. I'm 43 and have lost "42 or 43 My Fitness Pal" pounds, but since March 2012-I've lost an additional 11 lbs.
    Excerise is a key. Keep in mind, in a month, it is rare to hit a "plateau"-muscle weighs more than fat-sometimes, your scales just don't balance it out well. Exercise adds up-the 5 minutes of walking here, 5 minutes of stretching there, parking in the furthest parking space/etc. all add up. Find several things you like and try to push yourself a little further every little bit of time (you will have to decide how far and how often-for example-I try to get to the gym 4 days a week for at least 60 minutes at a time-more if I can. However. some weeks, that is impossible. So, I had to shop for the holidays-I made a "mall lap" between gifts. Enter store A-purchase. Carry the bag-walk a lap of the mall. Onward to store B-repeat. I work online most of the time and am a grad student. Sometimes, I take my laptop to the counter (keep water handy-not food for snacks) and I stand, do leg lifts, tighten muscles, stretch a bit=whatever feels good at the time. When I get tired of standing, I sit some. If it's time to "push myself", I might do aerobics and my 15 minutes on the treadmill or ARC trainer after class (standard fare), I might add one round of strength training and another 10 to 20 minutes of cardio that sounds fun that day.
    Drink eight glasses of water daily-more if possible.
    Eating nutritionally balanced foods. My dietician states anything less than 1200 calories is not enough for good "nutrition". Again-no flaming--I'm just sharing my experience with my trainer/dietician.
    I have been eating around 1400 cal. per day until recently-I try to alternate between 1200 and 1500 on different days, just to switch it up.
    Keep snacks handy-like protein bars, veggies, fruit, yogurt, and water. Do "special water" treats-I slice lime, lemon, and a bit of orange or clementine periodically in a Crystal glass with lots of ice.
    I loved the advice above about portion control. do not deny yourself constantly, but periodically, treat yourself to a small portion of something you really want. My dietician indicated that once or even twice a week, I can go up to 2000 calories and not see any problem with losing weight. It's up to you, but I do try to add a little extra movement and physical activity on those days-I don't strain myself, but a walk or some stretching work. Wear fitted clothes when you eat as often as possible. -Just something to "pinch the inch" and serve as a physical reminder to watch your portions.
    I wish you the very best.
  • mitsi94
    Options
    I am 43 and have lost almost 50 pounds since May of this year. I have my calorie goal set at 1800 calories a day, and do not eat back exercise calories on purpose. The weight is coming off slow but steady, I have consistently lost 6-8 pounds a month.

I have been overweight as long as I can remember, all through high school, pregnancy, after pregnancy, etc. And I have always been a pretty active person. I play on softball teams all summer and ride my bike a lot. I have worked so hard to try to lose the weight over the years, but have not been very successful until this year. I guess I am finally doing what my body needs this year so that it can finally let go of the weight. I think there are a couple key things that are working for me:

1. I gave up all artificial sweeteners and try to avoid real sugar as much as possible. I am convinced that I am one of those people who reacted badly to artificial sweeteners, and I am convinced they were causing me to retain weight. Since I have given them up, I have finally been able to start losing weight. I make sure to read labels very carefully, and don't drink or eat anything with artificial sweeteners in it. Did you know that even some microwave popcorns have artificial sweeteners? Yeah, neither did I until I started really evaluating the foods I was eating.

2. I eat small meals every 3-4 hours. I try to eat 300-400 calories 5 times a day. And I try to keep my carbs low, but not cut out completely. This sort of follows the diabetic eating plans to not cut out carbs completely, but have a set amount of carbs with every meal.

3. I've also added a few things to my diet such as flaxseed and some vitamins that I was missing. And I make sure to get exercise most days. I like to be outdoors, so I usually ride my bike to work every day. This gets me about 60 minutes of good bike riding each day (6 miles each way to work), which really helps burn the calories.

I am looking forward to losing more next year. Will be working for 70-80 more pounds lost in 2013, which should put me at just about my goal weight.
  • chubbygirl253
    chubbygirl253 Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    What does "LF" stand for?

'Looking for'

Okeydokey. Curiosity of the abbreviation LF was the only reason I kept reading since I missed the age parameter by 5 years. At least I learned something even if I'm 5 years too young to contribute anything valid or worthwhile. I'll just go sit in the corner and eat worms now. *kicks rocks*
    My mom has lost 56 pounds in 6 months (we're on this diet together) She is at the lowest weight she's been at since 1973... longer than this spring chicken has been alive. I'd let her tell you herself but she's 68 and hates using this new-fangled interweb thingy.
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    1. I gave up all artificial sweeteners and try to avoid real sugar as much as possible. I am convinced that I am one of those people who reacted badly to artificial sweeteners, and I am convinced they were causing me to retain weight. Since I have given them up, I have finally been able to start losing weight.
    Totally agree with this. I realized sweeteners weren't good for me in any form; they seem to promote headaches and terrible heartburn when ingested. If I have anything sweet, it is fruit and occasionally a bit of honey.
  • m_wilh
    m_wilh Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and have lost 60 pounds. That's the good news. The bad news is it has taken me 2 years to do it. I lost 45 pounds the first year and 15 pounds the second year. For the record, I worked just as hard or harder the second year for that 15-pound loss than I did the first year with the 45-pound loss.

I have hypothryoidism, metabolic stress, and hypoglycemia. Those 3 things, unfortunately, cause me to lose weight at a snail's pace. However, I refuse to give up. I have 15 more pounds to go. Even though I realize it will probably take me another year to lose it, I don't care. Another year will come and go whether I lose the weight or not. I'm choosing to do what it takes to be healthy and look great no matter how long it takes.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    I am glad to see this thread is still alive. There are some amazing success, and success-in-progress stories on here, that are testimonies to the fact that altho it may be a little more difficult, ok, a LOT more difficult to lose weight in our later years, it certainly is not impossible.

From this thread, I have made quite a few friendships with some very supportive and motivating ladies. Because of their wonderful support, I have managed to lose 33 pounds since the end of August. I still have 40 to go, to get to a Healthy BMI, and that was beginning to feel a bit overwhelming, so I changed my goal to 185, which will get me into the 'Overweight' category. Yay for being overweight!! lol

That goal is only 10 pounds away, and now feels much more obtainable at this point in the game. A lot of this is a mental game, so figure out creative ways to keep your motivation going.
    When I hit my interim goal, I will add another 10 pounds and work on that, until I get to the weight that is right and sustainable for me.

When you have a lot to lose, it will come off fairly quickly in the beginning, but as you lose more weight, at some point your loss begins to slow down a bit. This is normal. It doesn't mean you have broken your metabolism, or that you have reached your 'set weight' and won't lose anymore, or any of the other fears that start running thru your head.

When your weight drops, your body needs fewer calories to sustain itself. That is just the science behind it. We also tend to be a lot more strict in our measuring and logging in the early days on here, and after several months, may be starting to eat more than we realize. So if your weight has stalled, go back to measuring and weighing everything again and make sure you log everything that goes in your mouth.

So you can also choose either to

1.Lower your calories.
    If you are already at the minimum cal level, this may not be healthy for you, but if you do have some extra cals that you spend on junk food or other empty calorie choices, then try cutting some of them out. Continue to make sure you get adequate proteins, and healthy fats in your diet, along with high fiber fruits and veggies.

2. Increase your exercise or intensity.
    If you are 'eating back' your exercise calories. Make sure that you are actually burning the amount of calories that MFP says you are. The exercise numbers on here can be considerable inflated for some of us middle aged ladies, so I would suggest getting a good Heart Rate Monitor like the Polar FT4 or FT7, that has a chest strap, so get a more accurate number for your cal burns. The walking calories don't seem to be too extremely high, as long as you are accurate in your pace, but for other exercises like the elliptical machine, cycling, dancing/aerobics, etc, the numbers MFP gives you can be as much as twice what you are actually burning.

or 3. Adjust your expectations.
    Losing 2 pounds or more a week can be done in the first few weeks or months on here. Seems fairly common that after losing about a third or half of your weight, you start to slow down. Again, this is common. It can be very frustrating, but this is the time to remind yourself that this is a lifetime commitment to better health. You spent many years watching the pounds creep on one by one, so you can't reasonably expect to lose it all in a couple of months. So you are now losing only 1 pound or even 1/2 pound a week. That is ok. You are still moving in the right direction and are building some healthy eating and exercise habits that will carry you to your goal weight and will help you maintain that weight for the rest of your HEALTHIER life!!

So hang in there and persevere to your ultimate goals! You are definitely worth the effort!
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Thanks for checking in, congrats on your weight loss!
    Your post is a very real picture of how the weight comes off a little slower closer to our goal we get.
    I see this as a positive, although I enjoyed watching the scale drop 2 pounds / week at the begginning.
    What I feel now is even better, (even with a slower moving scale):
    I get to exercise in a smaller body, that goes farther, wears nicer clothing, and that doesn't feel as self conscious.
    I am trying new forms of exercise like climbing, and caving, and kayaking that I would never have signed up for 55 pounds ago.
    So yes, the scale moves slower and you have to get creative, but it is easier to choose healthy foods now, we can earn our "Ben and Jerry" evenings with a day hiking. Enjoy getting rid of that last 20, because it is just as much a victory as the first 50!
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    Thanks. Yes, it can be a little frustrating when the loss slows, even tho I had prepared for that to happen. For me, the holidays and increased eating seemed to be the culprit. But I just try to keep my head and keep reminding myself that this is a marathon and not a sprint.
    It is also a bit difficult to keep a balance between enjoying the benefits of the weight loss so far, without 'resting on my laurels', and continuing on towards the ultimate goal without getting too overwhelmed with all I still have to lose. But I am managing to keep my sanity most days!

Whenever I start to feel like giving up, I just go read some success stories on here and find the inspiration to keep plugging away. At my age, I don't have the luxury of a lot of time left to waste putting it off. Now is my time.
  • LHNichols
    LHNichols Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm soon to be 56 and have about 50 pounds I'd LOVE to lose. Live in Alabama, court reporter, sit most of day on job (and surfing), exercise on elliptical and recumbent and like to do DVDs (yoga type) at home, and am getting my new FitBit in mail hopefully today! I am a pretty good eater and exerciser till the time when I'm not, and then I blow everything and binge ... as in last night, not a little binge but a huge one. I would love some pals close to my age and profile type to meander with me down this trail to hopefully reach goal this year. LHNichols
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    Being "newer" to MFP I just came across this thread. I'm 63 and have been up and down many times, like so many others. Anyway, before I arrived at this site I lost 52 pounds and would like to lose a few more, but am okay with my current weight. I pretty much have maintained for about 8 months, which is a record for me. Lately I have dropped 3 more pounds. Basically it was a matter of cutting back portions, not so much junk, and be aware of what I eat. I began to write down and plan meals and have actually continued the whole time. I like being able to use MFP to easily figure carbs, calories, etc. I'm not super strict but just like to have some idea of what I'm taking in. My main exercise has been walking the dog but I saw so many people mentioning 30 Day Shred that I thought I'd give it a try. I'm on day 4 and hanging in there. I like that it includes a variety of exercises. I also do a bit of yoga and that is so relaxing. So I hope all who are beginning the process great success and a healthier future.
  • retiree2006
    retiree2006 Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    hello, first I want you to know that I am a man but I thought you might be interested in my wife's weight lost. My wife has little to any will-power when it comes to food. She is okay with me doing the cooking and keeping track of weight stuff. I cook most meals, not real good at it but getting better. She is allowed 1440 calories a day for a 1 pound per week weight lost goal. I have found that if we stay below 1300 she almost always drops a few ounces the next morning. She does light exercises for 15 to 30 minutes nightly, but if she consumes the extra calories she almost always gain ounces the next morning. I believe salt is the main problem but haven't verified that yet. she will soon be 60 and has lost 40 plus pounds. Canlid

Wow...so glad to hear from someone so supportive of his spouse! She's doing great and I can't help but think you are a part of her success...although we know it is ultimately up to the person themselves. Good for both of you!
  • Firekeeper66
    Firekeeper66 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Great suggestion on the bathroom squats... thanks to your suggestion, I just did 25 squats while I was in there (TMI?) - I would have done more but I thought my co-workers might start wondering where I was. I was imagining all of the extra little boosts I could get on my pee breaks - wall pushups, squats, etc. Hey, a calorie is a calorie!

Then I started imagining the rumours that would get started if I come out of the bathroom every time huffing and puffing and breaking a sweat! :laugh:
  • skhoy0815
    skhoy0815 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    bump to read later...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!