LF women over 40 who have lost 50+ pounds

Options

Replies

• jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I just turned 59 and have been on MFP for almost 3 years. First year I lost 50, second year I lost 17, and have been holding fairly steady for the last year. Currently on a mission to get super serious and reach my 75 lb goal.

I don't eat under 1200, ever. I can't, I'd starve! I'm not an athlete, never will be, but over time I've increased walking speed, and as the weight came off I was able to start doing a little jogging. I burn most of my calories gardening, walking dogs, and doing aerobics on rainy days.

On an average, I lost the weight by eating right around 1450 calories, making sure to exercise every day, and focusing on cutting wayyyy down on bread, pasta, rice, chips, and sugar. I paid lots of attention (and still do) to getting enough potassium, and being sure to get enough Omega-3s daily. Both things help keep me feeling good, and staying positive.

The magic "losing" number for me now seems to be 1350. Some days that's enough to fill me, others, it isn't. I allow myself a couple days off on weekends, but I still try to pay attention and not be a total pig. :)

Thanks for the posts, it's good reading!
  • Barbonica
    Barbonica Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Age 51
    SW 224 (April 2011)
    CW 173 (Oct 2013)
    GW 150

Lost ~40 pounds in first year, then held fairly steady for 9-10 months, then started losing again this year. I I typically eat around 1800 calories a day (gross), which nets to about 1500 after exercise. I lift weights 2x per week, run 2x-4x per week, yin yoga 1x per week, and walk 4x-6x- per week. On average, probably about 90 minutes of some activity per day (day off is just walking for an hour). I don't stress too much about "special occasion" eating, or vacation eating. I don't go nuts (usually), but I I will exceed maintenance, so the loss isn't as fast as it could be. For example, I was on vacation last week, and was averaging >2300 calories a day, with almost no exercise to offset.
  • supplemama
    supplemama Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I'm 41. I'll be 42 in January.

Highest weight January 1st 2012: 238 pounds

Starting weight MFP June 12th 2012: 214 pounds

Current weight as of September 28th 2013: 148.2 pounds

Goal Weight: 130 pounds

I eat on average 1800 calories a day. I currently exercise every day, though starting November I will take a rest day one day a week (I'll still walk one mile on that day) I drink 136 oz. of water each day.
  • FishingFan123
    FishingFan123 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Bump for inspiration :)
  • ndrumwright
    ndrumwright Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I agree. I have tried several beach body workouts and when my husband and I do them consistently, THEY WORK!!! I'll use you as motivation..
  • jhutchison349
    jhutchison349 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Bump for reference.
  • cindiva65
    cindiva65 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Im restarting....again. Good thread as I just turned 49 and know its not going to get any easier. But seeing it is doable gives me motivation. Im needing to lose about 60 lbs or so.
  • DonnaAnn64
    DonnaAnn64 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I am restarting also.. I turned 50 in April, I had lost 30lbs , but due to being overindulgent, I am starting to gain it back. I have to get back on track!! This thread is great motivation.!
  • lalalalalaurie
    lalalalalaurie Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I just turned 40. I have been on an up and down dieting journey for the past 10 years. I am finally at my highest weight and I have to lose 70 lbs, to say I am discouraged and intimidated is an understatement. I fear both my large number needing to be lost, but also, loose skin. This thread is extremely helpful to know that even some older than myself have been able to do this.

This time my plan is as follows:
    Eat the maintenance calories for my ideal weight (around 1500 a day)
    Eat protein at every meal with a large plate of veggies
    Weigh daily
    Weight training 2-3 times a week
    Aerobic activity 4 times a week
    Walking daily
    Trying to get better sleep
    Cut out sweeteners of all kinds

It is starting I find most intimidating.
  • electriclady67
    electriclady67 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    i started at 327 lbs Sept 2012. I am at 283 9/16/2014. I do gym workout 2 times a week and aerobic 1 hr work out at least 1 time a week.
    My goal is to lose 10 a month. having surgery on my Achilles tendon in Dec. my goal is to get to 160 by 2016 do to the recovery from my surgery will limit my work outs. once i am able to walk again weight loss will be my only goal till it happens
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Hi - I'm 51 and have found turning 50 and menopause much more challenging than the period between 40 and menopause. The loss of metabolism, thickening of the waist etc. has been something that I decided to reverse as much as possible. I'm hallway through my journey with a loss of 25 lbs and another 25 to go.

I have tried to be as consistent as possible with logging both my workouts and food. The weeks I haven't lost are due to me not working my program rather than my program not working. I do track my macros and try to eat healthy but without any "I must reach ketosis" or "low-anything" obsession. I'm not saying these don't work for some people but I know myself and anything that involves avoiding types of food, complex planning, etc will not work for me. My plan is too eat as much nutritional dense food as possible so that I have a good amount of energy/health for my relative low calorie days. I have never been one to load up on bread, pastries etc. but you can definitely get fat eating mostly healthy foods! I also know that I will not be able to maintain weight loss if I have a "special" way of eating when I am trying to loss weight. After the next 25 lbs are gone I will eat more but not "different". I don't go lower than 1200 and usual have about 1500-1600, depending on level of activity.

My weeks would typically include two to three spinning classes and 2 to 3 strength training sessions. Lifting heavier (squats, glute thrusts, lunges, overhead presses, bicip curls etc.) has been the best thing I ever did. I'm not sure about you but I found dealing with loss of muscle just as hard as gaining extra weight. If you have ever looked behind you and thought "what the heck is my tush doing on the back of thigh" or thought "OMG I can't wear sleeveless tops with these batwings" you will know exactly what I'm talking about :noway:
  • MrsMizart
    MrsMizart Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    Want to read this one in full later!
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    This and the links referenced in it made all the difference for me:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Start a progressive lifting program to maintain your lean muscle mass. Figure out your true TDEE is and eat slightly below it with adequate fats and proteins. (Fats are SUPER important in regulating out hormones, by the way, and they keep you full, too. Win/win.)

I've been maintaining almost a year now on 2500 calories, which gives me loads of room for soul satisfying foods like wine and chocolate. I strength train 3xweek and walk - for enjoyment, not "cardio" - 4 or 5 times a week.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    47, 5'2", currently 129 lbs. lowest MFP weight was 112 lbs. Initially lost 43+ lbs.

Totally understand the flamers comment. I have been the victim. . .

I've not read all the posts, so I can only hope that people respected your wishes.

Older women, especially at lower weights, need fewer calories. That is just a fact.

5 years ago when I initially lost, I followed the MFP guidelines to a T and it worked very dependably. I used the goal set for me for sedentary and ate back exercise. It took 11 months. I maintained for a year.

Then, it is like the rules changed!! Suddenly I gained while eating at what was supposed to be maintenance. I searched for answers (eat more, etc. I really wanted that to work!) and ended up gaining 20 lbs.

I am a true believer in the fact that perimenopause messes with our metabolisms!!!

I have finally just lately found what works.

I use the freedieting.com calorie needs calculator set to Mifflin-St Jour and also set to sedentary to find my net goal. I have then adjusted a bit because of watching MY ACTUAL RESULTS. I have ended up setting my net goal at right around my BMR --1175. I then log my exercise (minus 40 calories per 30 minutes to compensate for the fact that those calories are already accounted for--I based this on my BMR) and I eat it back if hungry, which I usually am. I also make sure I make mostly healthy choices, which helps keep me full on lower calories.

Basically, to lose I eat around 1350 TOTAL (including exercise) calories. I expect I will maintain at around 1600 (again including exercise calories).

The weight is FINALLY AFTER THREE YEARS coming off at the rate of a little more than 1/2 lb per week.

Don't let everyone tell you that you have to eat more. Sure, you will likely need to eat more than 800-1000 calories unless you are tiny, but you probably won't be eating 2200 a day either (that is what sooo many told me I needed--that is more than I would have needed to support my highest ever in my life weight!!). You will have to use trial and error and good record keeping to see the whole story.

Add me as a friend or message me if you want details of my journey.

I feel your pain!
  • AndraKC
    AndraKC Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 56 years old and begin this journey late July 2014. I'm on track at 1200 calories per day and I DO eat my exercise calories. I have lost 23 pounds in 56 days.
  • Mandasmim
    Mandasmim Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am 52 and I have lost 24 lbs since June 2nd. During the week I avoid "junk carbs" and log my food and exercise faithfully. I choose one day on the weekend to have some of whatever I may be craving: sometimes a piece of pizza, sometimes a piece of cake. This keeps me from feeling deprived during the week. I find that I don't over do it because I don't want to undo whatever I have accomplished during the week. I weigh in on Fridays, usually every other week so that I see better results. I started walking with a friend after work 4-5 times a week, usually for an hour. I keep my calorie intake at about 1200 per day, and I try not to eat back my exercise calories. I have really increased my veggie intake because they are low cal and fill me up. I set obtainable goals each month so I feel successful rather than defeated. I love pasta and sweets, but find now that I'm eating fewer I want them less. My goal is to lose 55 lbs, and I actually believe that Can do it this time. :). If I can do this, anyone can. Best of luck to you!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    seems like everyone lost a pound a week..no matter the advice.
  • 00Allie00
    00Allie00 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    43 year old who has lost 75 lbs in the last couple of years. Always looking for new friends :)
  • rtwing40
    Options
    I am 56 and have lost 59 lbs. in about 16 months. I found that using a food diary has really opened my eyes to what I eat. I exercise 5 times a week. Drink plenty of water. I have a great support group of family and friends. Hope this helps.
  • pam1056
    pam1056 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Bump
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!