LF women over 40 who have lost 50+ pounds

Options

Replies

• DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I am getting some good info.

I do eat low/slow carb. As sugar free as possible, with high lean protein, good fat, and as much fiber as I can get in. I do feel SO much better without the sugar. I have mild RA, and my joints don't hurt nearly as much without the sugar. I ride a recumbent bike usually 6 days a week, and have worked up to an hour a day, tension level 4 so it doesn't trash my lousy knees, and spin 10-12 mph.

The diet changes and exercise have resulted in less pain, more energy and sleeping better, so my efforts have definitely not been in vain, I just really want to see even a little weight loss each week. I started off with 6 lbs the first week, (normal water loss for me the first week on a diet) but I have hit a stall now. I tried upping my calories and exercise, but that resulted in a 1-2 pound gain. I seem to be able to maintain on 1200 calories, burning 500-600 on the bike, and not eating back the calories. (occasionally going over or under 100 cals). I am finding so many women that are successfully losing on 800-1000 p/day, exercising daily, but not eating back many calories. It goes against the general consensus of this site, but for them it has worked and is still working long term. Their cals come from lean protein, good fats, lower carbs with lots of veggies. I know you can't eat 800 a day in donuts and be successful long term.

The poster suggesting more movement thruout the day made a lot of sense. My hubby actually suggested that as well. I will put my pedometer on and purposely try to move more thru out the day. I know I need to build more muscle, but need to find some exercises that don't hurt my joints, back or neck. In addition to the arthritis, I have a spinal cord injury/disease as well that creates challenges for me. I have used that excuse to gain a lot of weight over the passed 10 yrs, so now I am finding ways to get the exercise in despite the challenges, without causing major flare ups. So far, so good.

I think my body may get used to a set calorie level quickly, and am thinking about changing it up, eating 200 less one day and 200 more the next, or something like that to try to shake it up. Has this worked for any of you?

I know I have only been at this for a month, and I know it will take time, but I just want to quickly figure out what will and won't work for me so I can make the most of my efforts, and not get frustrated. I know how to maintain and keep the weight off, it's just very difficult to lose the weight I gained due to my accident, a baby at 37, and getting older. I know WHY I gained and have changed those habits, now I just have to undo the damage.

Thanks again for all the info.
  • lisastrom
    lisastrom Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    49 yrs. old and lost 60 pounds between Oct. 2010 and Dec. 2011. I lost approx. 1 lb. per week, which was my goal. Slow and steady. I did it by eating responsibly, did not cut out anything but ate in moderation, portion control. Used a food scale to control portions and kept w/in 1500-1600 calories per day (most days) and exercise between 300-500 calories a day (give or take). I have managed to maintain since Dec. 2011 w/a few fluctuations but my body continues to improve in it's tone as I continue to exercise. I found a heart rate monitor to be essential in the process; bike, run (3 - 5Ks and won most of them in my age range), kettelbell weights and strength training.
  • help4life
    Options
    I am 53 years old, and beginning on Feb. 24th of this year, I started a journey to a FOREVER "change of lifestyle". Basically, I started on a very rigid low carb, high protein, calorie counting weight loss program tracking every single bite of food, and every minute of exercise on myfitnesspal.
    I have solidly averaged a 10 pound weight loss each month of my journey in the past 6 months, and have currently lost a total of 61 pounds!
    I have combined the proper eating plan with lots of daily cardio/strength training as well, averaging a good 45-60 minutes a day in a personal workout routine.
    Don't let anyone tell you it can't be done over 40 or 50, as I am living proof that it CAN!!
    Feeling so much better, with renewed energy each day!
    Wouldn't trade this new lifestyle for anything, and my motto for these past 6 months has been "NOTHING tastes as good, as this feels"
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I'm over 40 and I lost 40 or so lbs in 6 months. I found that I needed to eat more because I ruined my metabolism. I ate low cal for too long (low cal being around 1200 cals) I didn't change what I was eating...just had more of it. I also changed up my workouts.

I did LESS cardio and challenged myself by doing P90X. Before that I was doing old school lifting. I had muscle but nothing like the strength and definition I got with P90X.

I've managed to keep it all off for years, and continue to reshape my body losing inches (but not weights really) I swear by all the Beachbody programs as they all have given me great results. I have tried just about everything out there... you name it,I probably have done it.......and nothing works like Beachbody.

That's my story!
  • jthurnall
    jthurnall Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am well over 50 and have lost 100 lbs. The time it has taken me to accomplish that has been two years. Eating healthy, smaller portions, and exercise. I do a variety of things for exercise including Zumba, 5k's for charitable causes, elliptical, weights, and just trying different things. I try to go to the gym at least 2 times/week. I wish the weight would come off faster but I just need to stay healthy and losing the weight and keeping it off is the goal. I still have a long way to go (80 lbs. more) but I am confident I'll get it off.
  • jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Morning Sunshine,

I'm over 40 and I've lost over 50 so I guess I qualify :)

whooo hooo I finally fit the profile!!!!!!!!!

ok so seriously now, what worked for me was getting real and separating the me inside of ME from this demanding whiny body.....

I started with the Atkins diet hardcore..... if you don't like it don't do it and don't scold me..... I'm telling you how I did it not how YOU should do it!

I cut out all the empty carbs that I could.... think of it like quitting smoking... cuz it really is!.... your body doesn't need all these empty overprocessed carbs that it doesn't know what to do with and it needs real honest food. after a couple of weeks I started feeling a LOT better than I had in years.... the word CLEANER comes to mind....I wasn't so bogged down and tired and I knew that the food thing was under control......There were a LOT of slip ups along the way I won't lie.....I would get tempted and eat those fries "just this once" and like having "just one puff" of a cigarette all the old cravings came RIGHT back and I would have to go through a roller coaster of ups and downs to get back on track.... it was a tough lesson to learn and it's one that still teases me now and then... I honestly can say after living the low carb lifestly for 4 years now I really enjoy food more than I ever have before and I have control over it MOST of the time, now when I do "cheat" I know what to expect in the way of cravings and I'm ready for them so they don't take control again, but mostly I just try to steer clear of temptations.

Second part is exercise..... I tried the gym, I would go to my local and work out for 3 hours a day 6 days a week and I LOVED it..... I felt like I was really working towards getting my body back, I was sweating and could feel the muscles building, but to be totally honest I don't really feel like it helped all that much.... afterwards I would come home and sit on the couch all day feeling proud of myself for having worked out those three hours and it was understandable that I was exhausted and had no energy to do anything else....after all.. I had already worked out for the day..... The weight was coming off slowly but not nearly as fast as I wanted it to.

I started trying to do little extra things.... I know this will sound crazy but every time I went to the bathroom I would hold the counter and for balance and do squats until my legs were sore...not really sore.... just enough so that I could feel it.... when you go to the bathroom ten times a day they add up!..... things like parking further away, taking the stairs, leg lifts when you re sitting on the couch.... I figured if the calories piled on one at a time they could come off the same way...... the more I did this the more energy I had, the more focused I became and THATS when the weight started falling off.... I really believe my metabolism is faster now than it has ever been.... I have more energy now at 44 than I did at 24 and I am FAR FAR more active than ever before.....

good luck :)

The opinions and experiences expressed here are purely my own and what worked for me don't be a hater :):flowerforyou:

You are amazing. So glad that you found what works for you. I have lost eleven lbs in 45 days on a low carb diet (doctors orders) & I feel good. Hopefully my tryclerides will be down when I go back for blood work.

I bet they will be :)
  • geohow11
    geohow11 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    PLEASE, I respectfully ask that ONLY WOMEN over 40 who have lost, or need to lose more than 50 pounds respond here. No offense, but men's and younger women's metabolism and body makeup is drastically different. NO, I am not saying I am a unique snowflake, but we older women ARE unique as a group.

So my question is- how did you lose the weight and how quickly did it come off?

I completely understand that I will not drop 50 pounds in a month. I have realistic expectations of .5-1 pound per week.

From what I have found so far, all the women in my age range who have lost more than 50 lbs, have done so by eating well under the required calorie goals, and not eating back exercise calories. I know this freaks people out to hear, and I am in no way supporting unhealthy starvation techniques. They have been on nutritionally healthy diets- good protein and fats, high fiber carbs- but fewer calories overall. Basically keeping the good stuff and getting rid of the junk foods.

I am sincerely looking for women who have figured out what works for them.

PLEASE no one turn this into a flame war and keep all comments respectful. Thanks

My wife is Bonwell here on MFP she is over 50 and has lost 95 lbs
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and am now entering my 4th week of MFP and my goal is around 50lb. For me eating is what works best, not starvation. I eat most of my recommended calories to give my body something to work with. I also eat back the excercise calories as well, because sometimes I need them to accommdate a particular recipe or meal, or even the odd treat so I don't feel I'm missing out and start bingeing. But if I'm satisfied after my evening meal and I have spare calories I leave them alone, and just make sure I've had at least 1200 for the day. I weigh and measure everything religously because that's what I need to do to really get a feel for portion sizes and to really stick with my program. In my head I want to average less than 1500 calories a day, and I'm tracking that to keep things in check. This average allows me to not beat myself up if I go over my allowance once or twice. And I'm also trying to move more - the next bus stop, the tube station that has stairs, going up and down the stairs at home every time I need something, not saving everything up to do it all in one hit. It all helps.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    I am 47 and have lost 28 lbs sincs April 24th and have a goal of 60 to 75. I think there are many little things that you can do on a daily basis. I hardly exercise at all. I do have fit bit so I can track what I am doing throughout the course of my day but I have a full day with kids and work so adding extra is not always possible. I am not one to get up early to go to the gym. Wish I was.

Little things:

If I can walk while one of my children are a practice, I consider it a bonus for that day
    I eat about 1200 calories each day. My BMR is 1474 so I hardly ever go about that
    I do wall pushups at work each time I go to the bathroom at work
    I do arm circles when they come to mind at work while at my desk
    I eat as few obvious carbs as possible
    I eat Greek yogurt several days a week and this has done wonders for my stomach issues
    If I eat a sandwich, I eat only half of the bread
    I have a good friend who I discuss my journey with everyday!!! I found this to be critical
    I weigh myself every morning on a new digital scale but I do not obsess. It just helps me stay focused
    I drink my water of 8 classes as often as possible and when I do not, I feel it.
    I mentally tell myself 1 lb a week
    I record and weigh everything I eat

The most important thing is how I view this process. I tell people I have just made the decision to change my life and it is not a diet. The bottom line, is I cannot continue to eat the crap I was eating. Do I miss having my little chocolate donuts of course but each day it is easier.

Good Luck and remeber the weight did not happen overnight and if it comes off slowly and correctly you are more apt to keep it off.

Thanks, I made a big adjustment 4 years ago when I found my triglycerides were almost 700. My mom passed away from Diabetes this summer, so that number got my attention. I cut back on my sugar and bread at that time and started 'watching what I ate' and managed to get it down to 250 as of 2 yrs ago. I need to have my numbers checked again, but want to wait til I get under 200. I have been eating healthier since then, but haven't tracked every calorie till I started MFP a month ago. I also was exercising sporadically then and now I am dedicated to 6 days a week.

1 pound a week would be amazing for me. I wanted to lose 2 a week, but realistically didn't expect more than 1 pound. But now I am not even getting that since the first week water loss. But I will focus on moving more thru out the day and just keep eating healthy and try to be patient. That is what I would tell anyone else, so I guess I should tell it to myself as well.
  • JeanneTops
    JeanneTops Posts: 2,614 Member
    Options
    I'll offer myself as another example. I joined MFP in Dec. 2009 when I was 58. I used the tools to figure out what my maintenance calorie level would be once I hit my goal weight. I figured out how much I thought I would actually exercise on a daily basis. My daily calorie level was 2000 and my exercise calorie level was 500.

The important bits to know are that I wanted to lose over 100 pounds, I'm 5'5" tall and I use an elliptical trainer (though I hadn't used it in over a year when I started.)

So, I started out by eating my maintenance calories. And I've stayed eating at that 2000 calorie level ever since. Sure sometimes I'm over, sometimes I'm under. My exercise calories have gone up - I'm at about 800 calories on the elliptical now when I use it. I also now run three miles times a week which is supposedly only 300 calorie a run. I bike about twice a week which is anywhere between 600 and 1200 calories.

How'd I do?

The first year - I lost 65 pounds
    The second year - I lost 30 pounds.
    This third year - I've lost 5 pounds.

100 pounds total over 2.75 years.

Was it slower than when I was younger? You bet.

Do I care? Well, let me put it this way - I've gone almost three years without gaining back that first pound I lost in December 2009. I've always gained back all the weight I've ever lost and this time I haven't.

And now all I have to do is just keeping doing what I've been doing for the past three years.

So I don't care how long it took me because now I feel terrific and I look better than I have in my whole life.

My advice - don't try to replicate the speed at which you lost weight when you were younger. That obviously didn't work out because now you have the weight to lose again. Instead, try to lose weight so that you don't ever gain it back again.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    I am well over 50 and have lost 100 lbs. The time it has taken me to accomplish that has been two years. Eating healthy, smaller portions, and exercise. I do a variety of things for exercise including Zumba, 5k's for charitable causes, elliptical, weights, and just trying different things. I try to go to the gym at least 2 times/week. I wish the weight would come off faster but I just need to stay healthy and losing the weight and keeping it off is the goal. I still have a long way to go (80 lbs. more) but I am confident I'll get it off.

That is amazing. Good for you making such a change in your health. I will try to find some different exercises I can do, and just keep at it.
  • jakidb
    jakidb Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    I would say i average about 5lbs a mos (i've bn on MFP since I believe early May or late April???). I normally stay within my caloric intake, i do sometimes eat back the cal but not often, dnt workout as much as I should, but my weight loss is consistent. I honestly believe that if i incorporated more excercise, possibly did not eat back the excercise cal, and made sure i got in the right amt of water EVERY SINGLE DAY, my weight loss could possibly be a lil' more than what I've done thus far. Depending on starting weight, i think that determines how much you lose as well if one is truly following the suggested regimen.
  • christinemac17
    christinemac17 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm 46 and have lost almost 80 lbs total. 5yrs ago I started WW and after an initial weight loss of around 25lb in about 4mo, the loss slowed down but in about a 18mo had lost 40lbs ... all without exercise. Then, as had happened so many times before, I lost my motivation and I put 20 back on :(

Then about 2yrs ago something just 'clicked'... I'd been reading some about 'cognitive' responses to weight gain and how one needed to change the way they think (not just eat/exercise) to really lose weight.

To be totally fair, around that same time, I did have a very stressful life experience that (for the first time ever) made me almost unable to eat... like my stomach was 'in knots' most of the time. Within a month I dropped 15lbs!! Yes, many people would say that's not healthy .... it will come back, and then some .... etc etc etc ... BUT what it did for me was motivate me like nothing ever had -- and I've struggled with weight my entire life. I KNOW losing a substantial amount in a pretty short time has made ALL the difference

What I recognized was that my calorie intake had SERIOUSLY reduced.... I'd gone from eating probably 2500-3000 cals a day to less than 1000 --- yes that sounds drastic, but it worked to show me that I could do it! I could quite easily live on a LOT less food. That motivation just continued to snowball... I learned that it was OK to be hungry! In fact, it's good to be hungry on a regular basis... we've gotten so accustomed to being in a state of 'comfortable/fullness' that being hungry just seems too extreme... but it's not!!

My eating then evolved into a small, late morning breakfast that always included protein, a good sized late lunch of pretty much whatever I wanted --- normally healthy choices, no fast food, no fried food, very little 'white' stuff, then --- and I swear by this -- when I got home at night, I would NOT EAT DINNER!! I know that sounds outrageous to most people, but I realized that so often I would eat dinner just because it was there... even if I wasn't really hungry -- which was very often the case because of that late lunch.

I would give myself a little treat in the evening: ONE square of dark chocolate and a glass of red wine!! that's all I would eat in the evenings. What made it easier, was that I changed some of my behavior. Instead of hanging around the living room, watching tv, I took my computer to my bedroom and surfed the net or watched netflix. Within 5 months I'd lost another 25lbs.

Then I decided I wanted to exercise... and then my weightloss actually slowed down, but I got fitter and healthier than I have ever been! I joined the gym and tried every class I could -- bootcamp, body pump, pilates, etc. Somehow, almost miraculously, I fell in love with exercise! And I was seriously a certified couch potato my entire life, even as a kid. But it was just like the motivation kept on snowballing ... losing weight... feeling like I had power over food for the first time .... made me feel so good about myself that I began to really crave THAT over food! And exercise soon made me feel like I had power over my body.

Almost 2yrs later, I can say this is my true lifestyle. I try to eat a clean diet 90% of the time... lean meats, eggs, fruits and veggies, very little grains (and my calories are 1200-1400 now, depending on my activity level). I try to steer clear of sugar, even keeping my fruit intake to maybe 3-4 servings a week. I make sure I eat plenty of protein which keeps me satisfied and clear headed. I'm a firm believer that weight loss is done 90% in the kitchen, 10% in the gym.... the amount of food that goes in. You can probably lose eating 1000 cals of 'crappy food' a day, but you'll physically and mentally feel better eating clean healthy calories.

I now run 2-3 times a week and lift weights w/my hubby 3x a week and throw in a pilates or yoga class when I can. I enjoy my life, and have my 'cheat' times over holidays and occasions, but I see those times for what they are... and jump right back into my 'clean' eating. Honestly I'd like to lose about 10-12 more pounds and lose that excess fat that still seems to cling to my midsection, but I know my taste for a couple of hi-octane craft beers with chips and salsa on the weekends isn't helping, lol... but I feel good about myself and how I look (ok, mostly), and I'm living a real life.

When I turned 40, I was over 200lbs (i'm 5'1") and was wearing a snug 16, and walking 2 houses up a slight hill to my neighbor's left me winded. When I turned 46 last July, I weighed 125, wearing a size 4, and place 2nd in my age group at 2 of the many 5ks I've ran in the last year. I'm firmer and stronger and faster than I've ever been... but the best part is having tons of energy for running and jumping and rolling around with my 2yr old grandson (after bending over to tie my shoes with no discomfort whatsoever!! .... that alone gives me the motivation to keep going, lol)

Bottom line: you CAN do this!! You gotta figure out how to wrap your head around it, and keep your head in the game. Spend time reading, learning, focusing on weight loss, exercise, healthy living, etc.... some people call it obsession, but there are worse things to 'waste' time on, right?
  • janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I will be 44 next week and so far have lost 86 pounds. I average 2 lbs a week (although it seems more like 4 pounds, then nothing for 2 weeks). I average about 1800 calories a day and at times it is around 2300+. I eat my workout calories back but I don't worry if I can't manage it either. I set my goal to 1250 but that is because I set it to sedentary and let my fitbit adjust for me. I think if I didn't work out I would probably have about 1400 - 1500 calories.

What has worked for me is throwing away the idea of fast weight loss and quick fixes. Those temporary solutions aren't going to make permanent changes. I made changes that I could live with. In the beginning I followed mfp and then made changes that worked for me. I could never eat lo carb, I would probably kill someone. I do eat less carbs than mfp suggests and switched to a 40% carb, 30% fat and 30% protein diet. Some days are over and some under, as long as the week looks pretty close.

No foods are off limits, if I want it then I work it in. I have found that some things just aren't worth it or now make me feel sick so I stay away from them. I eat healthy foods probably 85% of the time. I drink lots of water. I work out several times a week and make it a point to walk on the off days. I park far away, I walk on my lunch break etc. My workouts have increased with time. I do a mix of cardio and weights and I look for things to challenge me and keep me accountable. This month I pledged to burn 20.000 calories on my HRM.

I always log and never give myself permission to not log. When I give myself permission to not log, I have a hard time getting back on track. I need to be honest with myself. I don't have "cheat" days but I do endulge and try to keep within my goals.

I hope something may help you. Make the changes in your life and the results will follow!
  • cottagegal1
    cottagegal1 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hi there

I am 52 and have lost about as of now 15 pounds, as I have put on about 4 with family wedding and summer events so now back on track, but I am gladd you posted this as to have lost the 20 Pounds I put my calorie range at 1200 to 1300 (I actually went to herbal magic) and yes you can say why allyou want but honestly it got me on track and finally able to loose weight, as weight watchers did not work (I truly believe it was too much food) I also liked having to go their to weigh in three times a week and it made me realize that is the calorie range I need to be in and not eat back my exercise calories.....as really when I go for a walk for 45 minutes and/or do yoga for 40 minutes and/or lift weight for 30 minutes do I really need an additional400 calories.....no, just did not work for me. Within that 1200 calories I am eating very clean (as per the herbal magic diet) two proteine, two fruit, two starch, veggies, one dairy, two fat, not salt (that that was amazing when I cut that out my ankles went down 1 or more inches) so those who say this is not a healthy diet I question why and then they say you gain it all back and again I say why......because you then go back to old eating habits AND THAT JUST DOESN'T WORK, and that is the reason I have put on 4 pounds is because I was indulgding in those things, chips, coolers (probably 250 a cooler) yes you have to have some treats (and you are allowed a 100 - 150 calories free treat) but obviously all those treats got me in trouble before.

My girlfriend also about 49 she had trouble loosing weight, she went on a 1200 diet, same thing basically ate clean, and really watched her bread and has lost 40 pounds has never looked or felt better in her life

So as we "age" do we need less calories I say yes and myself and my girlfriend are proof of that.

Thanks and we will continue on living healthy!!!
  • llpleslie
    Options
    I am 51 and have lost 47 pd in 6 mo. On 1200 calories, but usually eat right at 1,000. Walk 2 miles 5 days a week. Don't usually eat calories burned. Still lose about a 1 1/2 a week. Mainly just reduce my portions, cut out all acidic foods per my Doctors request, due to medical issues. Gone from an 18 to a 12 and fell great. I weight just about everything I eat if it is not in a box, eat steak, chicken and pork and also have starting eating morning star foods and oca foods, which are vegan burger and chicken patties which I fine are really good. You can add me if you like.
  • juliedozier
    juliedozier Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am 47 and started the 1st of the year. At first I went vegan, I felt like I needed to do a total 180 to change my bad habits. I did that for 12 weeks then started introducing lean meats back into my diet. On April 1 I started walking, at first just twice a week and now have worked up to 6 days a week. The walking combined with a healthy diet has done wonders for me. I take measurements and it's amazing to look at the progress from month to month. In the last month I have joined a gym and do strength training 3x a week. And drinks LOTS of water! I feel the best of felt in 20 years .... it's been an amazing journey. I hope to hit 100 pounds by the end of the year and then I have an additional 15 to lose. Good luck on your journey ... you can so do this!!! :smooched:
  • Shawneb66
    Options
    I am 46...5'7' tall, my starting weight was 205 (on April 16th) as of today I have lost 42.5lbs. My first goal is 45lbs and my next goal is another 10-15lbs. A wise person one told me that "You can't exercise away a bad diet", that has helped me so much. I log and weigh everything I put in my mouth. I log my food before I eat it...you can't take it back once you've eaten it! I exercise 3X a week, I am working on the weight first and when I reach my first goal I will worry about toning. My macros are set at 40 carbs, 30 protein and 30 fat. My food diary is open... Best advice is be strict with yourself...I have been "treating" myself for the last 20 years!
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    I'll offer myself as another example. I joined MFP in Dec. 2009 when I was 58. I used the tools to figure out what my maintenance calorie level would be once I hit my goal weight. I figured out how much I thought I would actually exercise on a daily basis. My daily calorie level was 2000 and my exercise calorie level was 500.

The important bits to know are that I wanted to lose over 100 pounds, I'm 5'5" tall and I use an elliptical trainer (though I hadn't used it in over a year when I started.)

So, I started out by eating my maintenance calories. And I've stayed eating at that 2000 calorie level ever since. Sure sometimes I'm over, sometimes I'm under. My exercise calories have gone up - I'm at about 800 calories on the elliptical now when I use it. I also now run three miles times a week which is supposedly only 300 calorie a run. I bike about twice a week which is anywhere between 600 and 1200 calories.

How'd I do?

The first year - I lost 65 pounds
    The second year - I lost 30 pounds.
    This third year - I've lost 5 pounds.

100 pounds total over 2.75 years.

Was it slower than when I was younger? You bet.

Do I care? Well, let me put it this way - I've gone almost three years without gaining back that first pound I lost in December 2009. I've always gained back all the weight I've ever lost and this time I haven't.

And now all I have to do is just keeping doing what I've been doing for the past three years.

So I don't care how long it took me because now I feel terrific and I look better than I have in my whole life.

My advice - don't try to replicate the speed at which you lost weight when you were younger. That obviously didn't work out because now you have the weight to lose again. Instead, try to lose weight so that you don't ever gain it back again.

Thanks, some great advice. I have about 65 to lose and would love to have most of it gone by the time I hit 50 next august. Oh how I miss the days when I could drop 40 pounds in 3 months, but I know those days are gone. I will do my best to be more patient. I do know this is a lifestyle change. I will have to do this the rest of my life, and I am ok with that. Especially if I can look like you in a couple of years! Just really need to see a little progress as I go. Thanks for the motivation!
  • TennesseeSodaholic
    Options
    I am 48 years old.

I was addicted to sodas for 35 years. A 6-pack a day of DP/coke. I always kidded myself that I was not addicted. When I would get serious about losing weight I would try to limit them to one or two a day. That never worked. I had to admit I was addicted and cut them out cold turkey. I never drank water. Never.

I am now 5 weeks and 1 day without sodas. I drink La Croix water over ice and love it. I have lost 10 pounds. I didn't change anything else. I was already going to the gym 3 times a week.

I just wish I had quit cold turkey sooner. All those years I wasted!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!