Epidural Cortisone Injection Anybody had one?

Options
Looks like I might be on the fast track to have a cortisone injection in my back (bulging disc). Never had one, any suggestions? Horror stories?

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I had ONE and that was all I needed, thank goodness. The actual injection wasn't as bad as I thought it would be but it still kind of sucked. But otherwise, it was a RADICAL difference over the following week........and I was just on Aleve after that. It was the first time in years I didn't have to take heavier, prescription drugs.
  • LovestheEarth
    LovestheEarth Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've had two of them in attempt to try to figure out my lower back/buttock pain. They didn't really do me any good because my source of pain was not coming from my spine. I would to say though that it's not bad pain-wise. I've had multiple other injections and they were much worse. I would say the epidural was one of the easier ones. You can do it :)
  • Rozie85
    Rozie85 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I had a steroid injection in my facet joints in June but it didn't help.

I'm going once again in a couple of weeks for the same thing but done in a different way to see if that helps.

You're up and about within a day or two.
  • juliehaugen
    Options
    I had one for a herniated disc that made me lose function in my right leg to avoid surgery & it worked very well. It only took 30 min to do it and hurt for 1 sec before the anesthesia took effect. Go for it! I had no side effects except avoiding surgery
  • HotCuppaJo
    HotCuppaJo Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'm getting injections on Friday, so I appreciate you posting this, and will enjoy reading the responses you get! Best of luck to you!
  • jenaissance
    jenaissance Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I had three rounds, the longest it "helped" was 3 days. Waste of my $, personally. I think my back is beyond non-surgical help though
  • PJ64
    PJ64 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    Had them at L5S1, didn't work BUT I know folks who got one and it worked and others that get them every 3-6 months. It's good your Doc is going for injections first, so many of them just jump straight to surgery.
  • muchadoaboutme2000
    Options
    I've had 2 for a ruptured L4 and a bulging L5 and they didn't do much for me. My doctor was a schmuck and told me that it was "hard to place the injection with all my excessive back fat." I told him it was "hard to work out when I couldn't feel my feet and wanted to die everytime I sneezed." LOl The actual process wasn't bad. It was weird knowing there was a needle in my spine, but other than that, relatively painless. The only thing that has alleviated my pain is dry needling or Trigger point needling therapy. No chemicals, and it's AMAZING. Good luck!
  • Time2LightenUp
    Options
    I have had several for an L5 herniated disk that was also pressing on my S1 nerve. They are not scary and they help so much. Trust me I was in so much pain and once I got those injections there was so much relief it is so worth it.
  • jasond8023
    jasond8023 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I have had three total. The first one lasted me about 7 months, but I have a degenerated/bulging disc in the L5-S1 area. I was pretty damn active again after that. The 2nd shot didn't do much of anything for me. And, on the 3rd shot, they added "ozone" gas, and the pressure from that gas hurt a bit but briefly. I am always mobile same day, which freaks out my doctor because based on where they are giving the injection, my leg is supposed to be completely numb and I walk it off. Since the shot with the gas, I have been feeling great since early May.

I should note that he said the fact I practice yoga 2-3 times a week has helped with the ability for the shot to work to its full potential.
  • melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Ive been getting them since 2007. They were my last option before surgery and I swear by them. I was pretty much getting them as often as theyd let me (series of 3 shots every 3 months) but this last time, I went over a year without needing any *crossing fingers*. Id much rather continue to get them as long as they will let me to avoid the possibility of multiple surgeries.
  • designnewme
    Options
    I had a series of 3, all 2 weeks apart, 2 different times...each series about a year and a half apart. I have a small tear in a disk in my lower back that cannot be repaired. I have to say that the injections were the best thing ever. There was a slight discomfort having them but not bad at all. For me it was the first evening and first half of the second day that were the worst but still more than tolerable. By the end of the second day, I felt a world of difference in my back. It has been about 2 and a half years since the last series - I am long overdo and just now starting to have problems.
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I had two in the C5-C6 section of my neck. I am terrified of needles so they doctor gave me a strong sedative first. I was not asleep, but I was out of it so there was no panicking.

The first time it relieved pain for nearly 3 months. The doc injected the med directly into the nerve root that was injured to kill the nerve for a while. The point where he hit the root of the nerve was AWFUL, but fast. It worked and the nerve died for about 3 months...but then the pain slowly returned. The 3 months of no nerve pain was AMAZING, especially after 2 yearsr of every day pain that nothing helped. So, when the pain returned I went for another injection (still trying to avoid the surgery 2" from my brain stem).

The second injection did not work at all. I was told this was a possibility, and to my dismay it happened. I did not try a third time. I consented to the surgery because the only way to stop the pain was to release the nerve from under the bulging disc - the only way to do that was the surgery. So, now I am pain free and annoyed that I waited almost three years to have the surgery. My waiting that long caused permanent muscular damage in my arm due to the trauma to the nerve so I have strength issues, but not more pain. (And the strength issues can be improved over time).
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    My wife had 2 and it didn't do anything. The only thing that have ever helped her is a good physical therapist. All the drugs, injections, etc haven't done anything.
  • bkesecker
    bkesecker Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Had a cortisone injection in my hip due to severe bursitis. I thought for sure it was going to hurt like hell. Actually it didn't hurt at all and the pain relief I got from it was amazing. Glad I did it.
  • westn
    westn Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I had one in my L5 SI and it didn't work. It just felt like pressure.

Good luck
  • KarenBoehlke
    Options
    I had severe sciatica. Was litterally crippled (walking with a walker) for a year. And no I'm not that old. My doctor did not recommend shots (or even offer them). She sent me to physical therapy where I exercised and did stretching. I thought she was crazy, but I'm pain free now and walking on my own two feet without assistance.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    My wife had one ten years ago, and I had one this year.

For her, it really solved the problem - she was considering surgery at the time since it was so back. and there's hasn't been a remission of sciatica since then. She had a series of 4 injections.

For me, mine's in the neck. I had one, and it helped relieve the pain a bit, but I still have to be VERY careful about posture and exercise to keep it from recurring.
  • ellehcimyelhsa
    Options
    My dad has had quite a few. He has two bulging discs, one herniated, and also a ball-bearing. The epidurals help him for a few days, but that's about it. His injuries are extensive though. He's tried just about everything though, so I think he'll take the few good days he can get out of them. They at least help him to relax enough to sleep.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    My husband is having his 3rd this Thursday. The first one, he was terrified... said he felt like a "little worm on a BIG hook." But it didn't hurt. The worst part of the whole thing is not being able to take his regular pain meds for the week leading up to it.

Unfortunately, it didn't really help, either. Well, the first helped most, but only for a few weeks. The second didn't do much. Fingers crossed for #3.