All 5'3" - 5'5" -- Let's compare weight w/pants size

Options

Replies

• goody2shews
    goody2shews Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5 CW 173lbs. I wear a size 12 dress. Pants 14 in some pants but mostly 12's. I went shopping in my big bins I keep of my old clothes the other night. My clothes from 1999 are much smaller. I have some JCPenney suits and some Casual Corner slacks from when I worked in sales. Only the size 16s fit from then. I think if you have older clothes your size is a lot different because of market research catering to " vanity sizing ".
  • sianll
    sianll Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    only 5'2" SW 245 - pants size between a 18W and a 20W. Now that I am walking again, I havent dropped so much weight but I seems to be a bit less wobbly around the middle.
  • goody2shews
    goody2shews Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I can't figure out how every body wears such tiny clothes - when I was a fit 145 (I'm 5'5), I still wore a 12. 10 would never fit and I always felt "fat" because people asked what size I was and when I said 12, they would say, "You don't look that big."
    I worked long and hard on the farm and looked good. . .

I hear you on this one. When I was in high school and in super shape, I only weighed 118, but only fit into 7's or 9's because of my butt, quite honestly. The waist would be too big, but my butt just wouldn't fit. And, of course, my butt is the last place I am losing inches on this weight loss journey.

Vanity sizing.
    15-20 years ago a size 13 was about what a 9 is now.
    Any of you who actually kept your clothes from way back when will get this.

^ Exactly. I kept my old suits because I am a hopeless romantic when it comes to me going back to work someday. My suits are JCPenney and Casual corner, Varsace, Seven and Lucky Jeans, bras Victoria Secret. " I was paid well then lol "

Now my clothes are from Kohl's and JCPenney. I have gone EVERYWHERE looking for jeans. I have lost almost 50lbs and still have yet to find a good pair of jeans. I admit I have expensive taste and have to have a fitted look before I will buy anything ,but I have found a pair or two in my lifetime without having to go to my seamstress.

I hate clothes with a passion to tell the truth. I would rather wear a t-shirt and shorts and move to the beach but, life demands we dress for the occasion. I had a very difficult time accepting myself being obese. I don't think it is entirely because I was young and extrememly vain when I first started having a weight problem. It is only about 80% of what MY problem was when the depression hit me. I think it is because of too much importance put on appearence in our society. We all know looks are decieving. We all are taught beauty is only skin deep. Then we turn right around and and put way too much value on our " Image".

Be content ladies and gentlemen. If it fits it ships is a great logo and we can all learn something from it :)
  • TigressPat
    Options

Edit: As a note I got the transfer sizes online, so my US sizes may be way out! The UK sizes are accurate though. :)

The difference is one size less in North America :) But shoes are one size bigger.

Imagine my horror when I moved to the UK from Canada and thought my butt had increased a size over the Atlantic and my feet had shrunk!

it's TWO sizes.
    In clothing it's UP
    a US 8 = UK 12

In shoes it's DOWN
    US 8= UK 6
  • TigressPat
    Options
    These threads are pointless and remind me of junior high.

Sizes vary too much to "compare". I wear a size 20 - 28, depending on the brand and store. For someone to say they weigh 309 and wear a size 20 means nothing to me since they're probably a 28 at another store. It's silly. Why do this to each other? Why compare?

Yes, you are right sizes vary a lot by brand/fabric etc.
    But in general I think most of us take that into account.
    I have two pairs of size 6 jeans, I am NOT a size six nor would I post that!

As for Junior high... not exactly.
    Women do like to compare, but in general I haven't seen any "you are lying" Or any "you weigh the same but look worse than me" posts!

And in some cases it actually helps motivate people as we can find someone who was our height weight and body type and extrapolate what we could look like given the right lifestyle choices.

if you don't approve of the thread, ignore it. It will be gone in an hour!!!
  • Girlikecupcake
    Girlikecupcake Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4, weight about 140 right now, and I've been a 7-9US denim jeans for about a year. Half the time the waist doesn't fit, too loose, but my thighs and butt, where I carry my weight, fit perfectly. I was a 5-7 for all of high school when I was bouncing between 125-135.
  • briannadunn
    briannadunn Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 4.75ins and a size 18 pants at 225
  • AndreaMerrill
    AndreaMerrill Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5", weight 165 lb, and take a sz 10 jeans. I want to be back in 8s!!!
  • azrrt76
    azrrt76 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    5'4.5" 149 size 10... I wear the Massimo brand from Target.
  • mrs15romeo
    Options
    5'4 174 size 14/12 the 14 seems to big and the 12 seem a little snug
  • lazymochabear
    Options
    I'm 5'5'', 185, and in a 12/14 and M/L top/dress depending on the store. I've noticed that (even when I was younger) I'm pretty dense. When I was last at my goal weight I wore anywhere from a 4-7 depending on the brand. I have pretty wide hips, so the smaller sizes either look funny or fit funny. We'll see in June if that's still the case ;)
  • DrPepperLeigh74
    DrPepperLeigh74 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and weigh 184 and wear 14 jeans some 12's. I want to be 140. That is my Goal weight.
  • Alexz210
    Alexz210 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and weight 139. At this moment, I am wearing 7/8 pants, and they are baggy. I'd be very happy in a 6.

What is your goal weight at 5'3" - 5'5"? Just Curious? In the beginning, I thought my goal was 135, but now that I'm close to that, I see a lot more room for improvement.
  • amypomm
    amypomm Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Im 5'5'' and weigh 181.2 and I wear a 14. I can fit into my size 12's but they are just a little too tight.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    5'5"
    I am pear shaped, with wide hips. Currently wearing 12-14 depending on the cut.

When I get to goal, which is around 145, I should be able to wear a 10, but we will see. Regardless of what size I wear, I always have had a hard time finding slacks that fit me very well, so pants shopping is not fun!
  • missstephanielynn
    missstephanielynn Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    5'3" 121lbs. I wear a size 2, although my jeans from highschool that finally JUST fit are a size 4. Vanity sizing definitely exists!
  • tinksmommy2006
    Options
    5'4.5" and 175pounds. Wear an 11 in pants and a medium to an xl in tops depending on fabric and cut.
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    5'4" When I was 218 it was a 20 I am 118 now and it is mostly 4-5 depending on brand
  • Akrion
    Akrion Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    5'2 - 125# - Usually wear 4/6/8 depending on the brand.
  • Agathacats
    Options
    I read awhile back that some manufacturers are deliberately changing the sizes. They believe that if some customers try on their clothes (in a smaller than usual size) they'll be thrilled and buy. Just psychology!