1/2 Marathon...346 days away

Options
2»

Replies

• bostongeek
    bostongeek Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am running my 5th half marathon in a few weeks and I will say it's really difficult to lose weight while training for long distance running.

It didn't occur to me that this was a thing that would (wouldn't?) happen. Glad to know as I'm entering training, otherwise I'd be very confused in a few months. MFP is so useful.

I'm running the Disney Princess Half in February--I'm months behind in my training due to a non-running-related injury, but I'm still optimistic! If I have to walk halfway I have to walk.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    I am running my 5th half marathon in a few weeks and I will say it's really difficult to lose weight while training for long distance running.

It didn't occur to me that this was a thing that would (wouldn't?) happen. Glad to know as I'm entering training, otherwise I'd be very confused in a few months. MFP is so useful.

I'm running the Disney Princess Half in February--I'm months behind in my training due to a non-running-related injury, but I'm still optimistic! If I have to walk halfway I have to walk.
    Last year, I went from not running at all to running a half marathon 9 months later. You have plenty of time! I didn't start really training for the late January half marathon until late October. Go look for a good running plan and put in the time frame you have until the race. It should provide you with a plan you can work with to get you where you need to be in time.

If not, walking some of it is definitely an option and I applaud your "get it done by whatever means" outlook!
  • lorierin22
    lorierin22 Posts: 432 Member
    Options

I'm running the Disney Princess Half also! You have plenty of time to train! I am currently running, just because I have become addicted to it now, but our actual 1/2 marathon training plan does not start until the beginning of December so you should be fine...you still have time to do couch to 5K and bridge to 10K before 1/2 marathon training if you were not a runner before your injury. Good luck! :)

ETA: I will defininitely be doing some walking during this race and stopping for photo opps often...this one won't be about time for me...it looks like too much fun to not stop and enjoy my surroundings as I'm going through it! It will be my first 1/2 marathon :happy:
  • ATclassof2021
    ATclassof2021 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hey!

I'm running the Tampa Bay Gasparilla Fest half on Feb 22, 2013. This will be my second half but my last one was half walked and I was fifty pounds heavier. I too have about 30 lbs left to goal and would love to lose a bit while I train. :) I did my first training run today and am planning on maintaining my long rins at 8 mi. until January when I will lengthen them. :) gives me a chance to work on speed.

Add me if you'd like some encouragement. I love having friends with similar goals!

Becky

I am doing the half, the 15k, 5k and 8k that weekend.......going to be a bling X5 weekend. You get a medal for each race plus another for completing them all.
  • bostongeek
    bostongeek Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    ETA: I will defininitely be doing some walking during this race and stopping for photo opps often...this one won't be about time for me...it looks like too much fun to not stop and enjoy my surroundings as I'm going through it! It will be my first 1/2 marathon :happy:

Yeah, mostly I'm looking forward to it being fun, I'm not going to be too intense about training. I'll almost certainly be walking partway. Basically I'm going to be very chill about it all because I'm trying not to get injured again.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

Yeah, mostly I'm looking forward to it being fun, I'm not going to be too intense about training. I'll almost certainly be walking partway. Basically I'm going to be very chill about it all because I'm trying not to get injured again.
    I was at the inaugural Tinkerbell Half last year. I didn't run the half because it was already sold out by the time I decided I'd be ready for it. I did, however, run the Neverland 5K and I HIGHLY suggest that anyone running a Disney race, especially for the first time, not plan to run it for time. It was such a blast running through the parks! My sister and I did it together and we hit every photo opportunity with the characters as well as taking our own pictures with the parade floats and stuff that were placed throughout the back lot area. We also chatted while jogging slowly with a few interesting people running the race, too. Just getting to see the places where only cast members go was worth the race fee, IMHO. Anyone who runs a race there for time doesn't know what they are missing. You should bring a camera, plan to take plenty of pictures and have fun making memories.