Saving all my carbohydrates for the end of the day?

Options

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    this entire thread is ridiculous.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I am going to attempt this anyways without the necessary information.

Carbohydrates are used almost exclusively for energy. If you are filling up on the carbs at night, then it will help you stay full through the night but any energy unused will be stored and fat will be pushed into fat cells and stay there.

If you are in a calorie deficit, any theoretical fat storage that may occur at night will be oxidized. It does not "stay there".

You do not show a net fat storage if you are in an energy deficit.

Thank you, I did not know this. Nevertheless, it is still counterproductive having energy there burning when they could be burning fat at night instead.

I am not trying to pick on you here, please understand this.

The bolded part is incorrect. You are not thinking long term, you are thinking short term, acute functions that are irrelevant.

You could literally, and I mean quite literally, eat all of your calories IN BED every night, and store a bunch of fat over the hours that follow your meal. When you get up the next day, you will have a lengthy period of fat oxidation up until you eat next (which, in this example, is at night). Where you land on this is determined by caloric balance.

It does not matter whether you are burning fat or sugar at any given point in time. It DOES matter that over the course of time (weeks, months, etc), fat oxidation exceeds fat storage. You do this via eating in an energy deficit. Micromanaging each acute period of fat oxidation or trying to micromanage each period of fat storage is futile and irrelevant and it's one of those things that dieters like to mentally *kitten* over.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Edited as covered above more eloquently than I did.
  • EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options

Carbohydrates are used almost exclusively for energy. If you are filling up on the carbs at night, then it will help you stay full through the night but any energy unused will be stored and fat will be pushed into fat cells and stay there. If you eat your carbs early day after your over night fasting, the energy will be available for use and if you're eating starchy carbs you will maintain your fullness until the starch burns off. So based on the limited information I have, I would say it isn't a wise idea to eat them at night because your fasting overnight would only burn the carbs and not the fat causing you to GAIN weight instead of LOSE it.

The best thing you can do for your last meal is eat protein to repair for the day, get a big dose of healthy fats (unsaturated ones like from extra virgin olive oil or canola oil or almonds), and have some delicious non-starchy veggies to get you through the evening hours awake. Also, stop eating up 12 hours before you plan on eating breakfast. If you get hungry, drink some water because dehydration feels like hunger sometimes.

I really hope this is helpful. If it isn't, I can understand, just let me know what parts are hard for you and I can try help you any way that I can. :flowerforyou:

So would you say that i defy the laws of thermodynamics because every night for the past 38 months I have taken a 600 calorie snack to bed with me that consist of 2 cups of cereal (Reese's puff mixed with Krave double chocolate cereal eaten dry) and a glass of 1% chocolate milk and if not that then 2 golden delicious apples with same chocolate milk. And some how managed to lose 311 lbs. And I am ready to eat 1000 calories for breakfast at 6 in the morning... My Macro's have always been set 55/25/25 with Carbs leading the way.. So am I the exception to the rule???

No. What I would say is you are a very active person who takes their fitness very seriously. Every person is an individual, I was talking to the OP, not you. I don't form opinions, I just think of solutions to problems. Don't break out the science and broscience and get me involved in any flame wars you want to have okay? I'm just here for the OP.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    You are not thinking long term, you are thinking short term

There is a reason I think in the short term. People who are used to overeating, binge eating, or eating beyond their goals aren't ready to think in the long term. They are still struggling with today! My discussion is with the OP and not you. If you want to bring science and broscience into this go for it. But I am only offering information from a dieter to a dieter.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    gah!!! this thread hurts my head. The endocrine organ theory? Might not be entirely incorrect.

Fats act through hormones. They emit hormones such as leptin, resistin, adiponectin, interleukin-6?
  • Ms_Steel
    Options

Carbohydrates are used almost exclusively for energy. If you are filling up on the carbs at night, then it will help you stay full through the night but any energy unused will be stored and fat will be pushed into fat cells and stay there.

If you are in a calorie deficit, any theoretical fat storage that may occur at night will be oxidized. It does not "stay there".

You do not show a net fat storage if you are in an energy deficit.

Thank you, I did not know this. Nevertheless, it is still counterproductive having energy there burning when they could be burning fat at night instead.

I am not trying to pick on you here, please understand this.

The bolded part is incorrect. You are not thinking long term, you are thinking short term, acute functions that are irrelevant.

You could literally, and I mean quite literally, eat all of your calories IN BED every night, and store a bunch of fat over the hours that follow your meal. When you get up the next day, you will have a lengthy period of fat oxidation up until you eat next (which, in this example, is at night). Where you land on this is determined by caloric balance.

It does not matter whether you are burning fat or sugar at any given point in time. It DOES matter that over the course of time (weeks, months, etc), fat oxidation exceeds fat storage. You do this via eating in an energy deficit. Micromanaging each acute period of fat oxidation or trying to micromanage each period of fat storage is futile and irrelevant and it's one of those things that dieters like to mentally *kitten* over.

in bed...thats where i like it...to eat, i mean
  • AsellusReborn
    AsellusReborn Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    It is sad how much misinformation gets thrown around when people ask questions like this.

The short version is - do it if it works for you. If it doesn't, then stop and try something new. Whatever you try, try it for a few weeks because otherwise you're not giving yourself enough time to actually try it. Metabolically speaking it doesn't matter when you eat them - the caloric deficit and macro balance matter much more, in that order of priority. What matters is what works for you because food has emotional and habitual baggage too.

Good luck.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    You are not thinking long term, you are thinking short term

There is a reason I think in the short term. People who are used to overeating, binge eating, or eating beyond their goals aren't ready to think in the long term. They are still struggling with today! My discussion is with the OP and not you. If you want to bring science and broscience into this go for it. But I am only offering information from a dieter to a dieter.

Your discussion is filling the OP with incorrect information, which you apparently aren't willing to let go of.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Metabolically speaking it doesn't matter when you eat them - the caloric deficit and macro balance matter much more, in that order of priority.
    Good luck.

^ Correct.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options

Carbohydrates are used almost exclusively for energy. If you are filling up on the carbs at night, then it will help you stay full through the night but any energy unused will be stored and fat will be pushed into fat cells and stay there. If you eat your carbs early day after your over night fasting, the energy will be available for use and if you're eating starchy carbs you will maintain your fullness until the starch burns off. So based on the limited information I have, I would say it isn't a wise idea to eat them at night because your fasting overnight would only burn the carbs and not the fat causing you to GAIN weight instead of LOSE it.

The best thing you can do for your last meal is eat protein to repair for the day, get a big dose of healthy fats (unsaturated ones like from extra virgin olive oil or canola oil or almonds), and have some delicious non-starchy veggies to get you through the evening hours awake. Also, stop eating up 12 hours before you plan on eating breakfast. If you get hungry, drink some water because dehydration feels like hunger sometimes.

I really hope this is helpful. If it isn't, I can understand, just let me know what parts are hard for you and I can try help you any way that I can. :flowerforyou:

So would you say that i defy the laws of thermodynamics because every night for the past 38 months I have taken a 600 calorie snack to bed with me that consist of 2 cups of cereal (Reese's puff mixed with Krave double chocolate cereal eaten dry) and a glass of 1% chocolate milk and if not that then 2 golden delicious apples with same chocolate milk. And some how managed to lose 311 lbs. And I am ready to eat 1000 calories for breakfast at 6 in the morning... My Macro's have always been set 55/25/25 with Carbs leading the way.. So am I the exception to the rule???

No. What I would say is you are a very active person who takes their fitness very seriously. Every person is an individual, I was talking to the OP, not you. I don't form opinions, I just think of solutions to problems. Don't break out the science and broscience and get me involved in any flame wars you want to have okay? I'm just here for the OP.

No broscience here and definitely no flame wars.... I have been here for around a year and have never been in a so called flame war with anyone... Not my style..... I am here to offer my knowledge after years of trial and error, and in this instance I am also thinking of the OP and the fact that I do not believe frequency of carbohydrates matter.. If you are within your calorie limits for the day and are hitting your macro's for that day then eat your carbs whenever you want. Your body doesn't have an internal clock on when it will or will not process carbs that being my point that even a super morbidly obese man at 560 lbs. who had plenty of energy stores to pull from still ate carbs at the end of the day and never once did it affect my weight loss. Carbs get a very bad wrap.... As to the comment of me being a very active persons, that was not the case in the beginning for the first 17 months I could not even support my own body weight and spent my exercises time in a pool using weight displacement so that i could stand long enough to walk from one side of the therapy pool to the other... Just my two cents...
  • SideSteel
    Options
    gah!!! this thread hurts my head. The endocrine organ theory? Might not be entirely incorrect.

Fats act through hormones. They emit hormones such as leptin, resistin, adiponectin, interleukin-6?

I mean this sincerely Silver, since I know you actually research: When you do have your thoughts gathered on this I am genuinely interested in anything you might have that would indicate that a specific carb timing for women would make a difference in net fat change.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Anniebonnie, according to your ticker you are trying to lose 3 pounds? Did I see this wrong? And you have a picture of sweets for your profile pic and concerned about losing weight? I'm a little confused.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Your discussion is filling the OP with incorrect information, which you apparently aren't willing to let go of.

Well considering the OP never came back and told me the goals of her diet and what she's trying to achieve ALL of you are giving bad advice. What if her goal was to fight cravings (her profile mentions binge eating), what if her goal was to have more energy for volleyball (again profile clue), what if her goal was to lose weight and she thought having carbs at night would be the best method to get those pesky things out of the way, or even what if she has an intolerance to wheat and she is eating them before bed so she doesn't have to feel the pains of eating foods that make her sick?! The point is, this question did not have enough detail and here you all are giving advice when we don't even know what SHE wants to achieve!
    Anniebonnie, according to your ticker you are trying to lose 3 pounds? Did I see this wrong? And you have a picture of sweets for your profile pic and concerned about losing weight? I'm a little confused.

My point exactly, we don't know what she wants out of this so why are we giving her advice without know it? Empathy folks, empathy and individual concern.
  • SideSteel
    Options

No broscience here and definitely no flame wars.... I have been here for around a year and have never been in a so called flame war with anyone... Not my style..... I am here to offer my knowledge after years of trial and error, and in this instance I am also thinking of the OP and the fact that I do not believe frequency of carbohydrates matter.. If you are within your calorie limits for the day and are hitting your macro's for that day then eat your carbs whenever you want. Your body doesn't have an internal clock on when it will or will not process carbs that being my point that even a super morbidly obese man at 560 lbs. who had plenty of energy stores to pull from still ate carbs at the end of the day and never once did it affect my weight loss. Carbs get a very bad wrap.... As to the comment of me being a very active persons, that was not the case in the beginning for the first 17 months I could not even support my own body weight and spent my exercises time in a pool using weight displacement so that i could stand long enough to walk from one side of the therapy pool to the other... Just my two cents...

^ For the record Ed, your two cents are correct.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Just my two cents...

This website has no shortage of pocket change. Next time I am the OP, if I need change I'll ask for it.
  • healthyKYgirl
    healthyKYgirl Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Hey everybody!:) So I've recently joined MFP and am still getting the hang of things here, please forgive me if this question's answer seems simple to any of you haha, because it sure isn't for me!

Right well a few days ago, I discovered that my diet is REALLY high in carbohydrates. In my calorie breakdown graph, 71% came from carbs, 9% from protein and 20% from fats...obviously I have been working on fixing this issue. But thus far the only way I find that actually works is to avoid bread and wheat as much as possible since my dinner's and afternoon snacks are normally pretty carby. Anyways, my question(s)-

1. Is it healthy to eat a lot of carbs all within a period of 3-4 hours?? And right before bed too. I try to avoid eating when possible after 7pm most days, but sometimes I have to change that to 8pm when I come home from volleyball practice which ends pretty late. I've heard that if you eat a lot of carbs your body converts the lot of them into fats:/

2. Also does anybody have any low-carb breakfast suggestions for me? These past few days it's been fruit with slices of lunch meat (banana, strawberries, and nectarines then usually 2-3 slices of chicken or ham and sometimes a tablespoon or two of organic whole yoghurt) which I find myself quickly growing tired of...

1. I just heard about a book called "carb backloading" written by a physicist. He also wrote "carb nite". He advocates eating carbs at night after a workout because of insulin receptors on fat are turned off after being up all day but the workout turns on insulin receptors on muscle leading to muscle building. If you want to eat all your carbs at night, you might want to check out that book. I believe from what I was told (have not read it), that he does a very thorough job of vetting data and studies and that it is well written. It's an online book only so just google it or the reviews on it.

2. Protein shakes, omlettes, anything really that is in high protein even if it's not typical breakfast food.
  • Ms_Steel
    Options
    Just my two cents...

This website has no shortage of pocket change. Next time I am the OP, if I need change I'll ask for it.

wow, nice attitude...its a discussion...no need to bully.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    1. Is it healthy to eat a lot of carbs all within a period of 3-4 hours?? And right before bed too. I try to avoid eating when possible after 7pm most days, but sometimes I have to change that to 8pm when I come home from volleyball practice which ends pretty late. I've heard that if you eat a lot of carbs your body converts the lot of them into fats:/

So that I'm answering your actual post and not spending all of my time refuting other replies:

"A lot" is subjective. Generally speaking, given you have relatively normal insulin function, I wouldn't worry about the timing of your carbohydrates as it pertains to net fat loss. However, you SHOULD concern yourself with total carb intake, as well as total protein, fat, and calorie intake. Energy balance will largely determine your weight loss, but it would still be in your best interest to consume adequate protein and fat intake for lean mass and hormonal reasons (not to mention satiety and a potential but minor increase in TEF). Cliffs: Timing isn't important, but if your total carb intake is out of whack, you could have problems.

So the answer to this is twofold. Carb timing isn't important for net fat loss, but total intake of calories and macronutrients needs to be in a reasonable spot.

Lastly, if eating at night doesn't make you uncomfortable, go ahead and do it provided your total intake is appropriate. Late night eating will not cause any additional fat gain or prevent additional fat loss given that it doesn't cause you to over-eat for the day.
    2. Also does anybody have any low-carb breakfast suggestions for me? These past few days it's been fruit with slices of lunch meat (banana, strawberries, and nectarines then usually 2-3 slices of chicken or ham and sometimes a tablespoon or two of organic whole yoghurt) which I find myself quickly growing tired of...

Eggs.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options

I mean this sincerely Silver, since I know you actually research: When you do have your thoughts gathered on this I am genuinely interested in anything you might have that would indicate that a specific carb timing for women would make a difference in net fat change.

I know....I'm tired and over the nutrition bit, you know that...plus I cleared out all my stuff and sent it to Jason or Alan or others....I'll message you tomorrow. My thoughts now are not on timing anyway, I'm staying with my lower protein for women..you know that though.