How to be a Man or Woman in America

Options
AdriAfterAll
AdriAfterAll Posts: 16 Member
Just re-watched the Brene Brown TED talks on youtube, and was thinking about this bit. Researchers at Boston College asked the question below and got these answers.

What do women have to do or be to conform to female norms (in America)?

nice
thin
modest
use all avalable resources for appearance
"have it all, do it all, be it all- and never let 'em see you sweat"

What do men have to do or be to conform to male norms (in America)?

emotional control
work is first
pursue status
violence
"Never be perceived as weak."

As a woman, I know I feel the pressure of the Perfection beast like whoa, but do you all agree? That's who we have to be and how we're expected to organize our priorities?

Edit for clarity: The researchers weren't telling us what we're supposed to be, they only spit out what all the people polled said. It's what WE (Americans) feel/believe/said the expectations are...

Link to the talk: http://youtu.be/psN1DORYYV0
It's about a lot. This was just a piece...

Replies

• roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    I dont think I've ever met a woman that was nice AND modest AND thin AND use all available resources for appearance

also, aren't "emotional control" and "violence" contradictory?
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options
    I don't find any of those male qualities to be admirable. But then again, I'm not insecure. :ohwell:
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Living to meet the expectations of the masses seems to me to be a formula for misery.

I have very little interest in what people think of me. Aside from my immediate family and close friends.

As for how I relate to the world, I try to live by the golden rule as I was taught when I was a child. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Are you sure about that whole being nice thing....?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I live in Canada.
  • SVCat
    SVCat Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Just re-watched the Brene Brown TED talks on youtube, and was thinking about this bit. Researchers at Boston College asked the question below and got these answers.

nice
    thin
    modest

emotional control
    work is first
    pursue status
    violence

As a woman, I know I feel the pressure of the Perfection beast like whoa, but do you all agree? That's who we have to be and how we're expected to organize our priorities?

I am a grown *kitten* man with a beard, I don't need some researcher to tell me how I should act or should be. I believe in the law of return...what you give is what comes back to you.
  • unJunk
    Options
    Those arent the real male qualities are they?
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I'm doing my part to fight the status quoe. Societal norms and expectations are what has gotten us the point we're currently at. And no, that's not a good thing.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    Violence?
  • taylor5877
    taylor5877 Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    work is first

LOL...did they poll (honest) married men?
  • jessepants
    jessepants Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    "use all avalable resources for appearance" = huge turnoff
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    I am glad that I don't let others define what I need to do to be a man. I have my own definitions. That definition didn't changed when I was in Asia. Not while I stayed in Europe. Didn't changed in America.

I know what I want. I give it all I got. If I am with a woman, I am her protector, even if she is capable of taking care of herself, I am still there for her. I work hard and keep my family first. I don't consider any job less than other as long as I work hard. Men who try to be something else they're not are weak. Men who pretend to be tough are weak. My father is a short, obese guy who have never in his life done any physical labor. But he's a hard worker and a better and stronger man than I, or my brothers combined will ever be.

What defines a man or a woman? YOU do
  • artemis222
    artemis222 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Ah, I love TED talks:heart: !

Fascinating results, even if expected (Probably because I see these stereotypes everyday, as an American.). It just makes me wonder what the results would be in every country around the world.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Before y'all fly off the handle, this TED talk was based on a study Boston College did on what American men and women *perceived* (heavy emphasis) the definition of a man or a woman to be.

Perceptions rarely mirror reality folks.
  • GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    F**K THAT!!! If that's what an american should be, then our country is rather screwed up!
  • AdriAfterAll
    AdriAfterAll Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    work is first

LOL...did they poll (honest) married men?

That's what I'm saying. I know a lot of guys (and girls) who don't LIVE like this, but apparently, feel like they're supposed to...
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Options

nice
    thin
    modest

emotional control
    work is first
    pursue status
    violence

I am a grown *kitten* man with a beard, I don't need some researcher to tell me how I should act or should be. I believe in the law of return...what you give is what comes back to you.

Agree!
    As for that list. According to who's standards?

Because,
    I show my emotions especially when "pissed off"
    Family comes first! No matter what!
    Could care less what others think! So much for status!
    Violence! Only when absolutely necessary (family comes first covers that)
    Never be perceived as weak well that's not a problem for me!

But it seems they have it mostly backwards!
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

emotional control
    work is first
    pursue status
    violence

heh. I got this.

Calm. Collected.
    Good job that gets done.
    Good status, above others.
    Train to fight 6x a week.
    Step up or step back..

werd.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    oh, so this isn't a topic on cross dressing?

:grumble:

moving on...
  • toaster6
    toaster6 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Lots of these terms contradict each other. How can a woman be modest AND use ALL resources available to look good? You'd have to be a vain person indeed to spend ALL your resources to be pretty. And of course, you can't be a stoic AND violent. Anyway, you want to be an awesome male? Teddy Roosevelt. 'Nuff said.