what makes a good or bad server?

Options
13»

Replies

• McBully4
    McBully4 Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I must be a total geek. I actually thought this thread was going to be about computer hardware.

ha..my first thought, even though i knew what this was really about, was low population is the worst thing you can have for a server. and the best servers are PVP. :)

This is actually what I thought too
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    I was a server for 15 years.

I don't go back if they aren't friendly, but professional.

Try paying your bills without customers.

But, I know I'm in the minority.
  • ScottFree_66
    Options
    You know what annoys me as a restaurant employee? People who let their kids run RAMPANT. Coloring all over the table, crumbs everywhere, silverware thrown around, food and napkins all over the floor--it looks like a tiny tornado hit. I get that kids can be messy, but sometimes I think parents don't even CARE that their children are inconveniencing other people.

I think annoying things that customers do is a much more interesting topic, to be honest!

this^^^^ Or how about oneing you to death... they can't ask for everything they need at once , they see you busy yet every time you bring them something they decide they need something else to go with it... Or how about the cheap old ladies who want hot water only and they bring in their own tea bags!!!

Down here it's ice water, Splenda and a lemon! And you know what gets me as a host? When you walk a group to their table, and they look at EACH OTHER and say, "Oh, is this okay?" Like there's not a reason I walked you to this particular table. Oh, sure, just sit anywhere.

You know what? I've done that before and it's because you are leading me to a section that is full of screaming babies. I'm sorry but I do jot want to sit any where near that. You, as the hostess,, can clearly see no one in my party has children so why on earth do you think we would want to sit near them?

Or, you took me to a booth and me and my fat eating partner aren't sure we can fit our fatness into it.

I was not your hostess. But there is a system in place for a reason--servers come in at different times, some sections are empty, there's a rotation, etc. YOUR host was just doing her job, and I sympathize with her.

As for people being too big to fit at a booth, that's a really horrifying experience for ALL PARTIES involved. I try to avoid it as often as possible.

I absolutely hate booths... I prefer sitting at the grown ups table, with chairs. Most places will ask if you have a preference, if they don't I will politely ask for a table (unless the place is packed and i know this is the only option available).
    It is not my concern if the wait staff has a rotation and Becky has more tables than Susie. At certain places, I even have favorite waitresses and I will TELL the hostess so seat my in their section.

I worked in food service for 15 years from high school till late 20's. One of my favorite movies is "Waiting"...
  • ohmyshysamantha
    ohmyshysamantha Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I must be a total geek. I actually thought this thread was going to be about computer hardware.

lol ^^^^ this
  • mbajrami
    mbajrami Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I always find it more common that customers are d-bags, not servers...and I have never been a server. I tip minimum 20% unless the server is OBVIOUSLY just an *kitten*. Otherwise, I start at 20% and it goes up from there.

Some people will also try to nit-pick to drop a tip amount or not tip...or even get free food. These people should be shot.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I hated serving. Customers could either make or break my day. My biggest pet peeves as a customer are not filling up my glass when it's been empty and taking -forever- to drop the check, which doesn't even make sense. Why wouldn't want to fill my seat with a new table or even go home sooner?
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I work as a server for applebee's and we are not suppose to bring napkins unless asked for them, I however always bring out napkins while bringing the food out. If another server delivers my food I always come back by with napkins. But that could be why some do not bring napkins, because they aren't suppose to unless asked for. I just always put in my job what I want from my servers when I go out to eat. I also try to keep drinks filled, when a drink gets to the half way point I bring new drinks. However as a server one thing that hacks me off is when someone sips their drink down in 2 seconds flat each time I fill it up and I keep bringing them drinks and yet I get a $1.00 tip from them. That happened tonight and since at the time they were my only table, they had my undivided attention. I even went as far as letting them know about our kids eat free night even though it's plastered all over the place and the lady didn't know.

One thing when I'm out eating, I will watch my server because as a server I know we have bad days and I know what should be done. If I can read that the server is having a bad day I'll cut her some slack, I also know we only make $2.13 an hour. However, I can easily read when you a server is lazy and isn't giving it her/his all. Even on my bad days I try to put my heart into it and smile. We have a lot to do other then just serving tables so I don't have time to stand around and talk. Some wait till they are about to be cut to do their duties, but I like to keep up on mine. There is always something to be done. Plus I can't keep still.
  • xiofett
    xiofett Posts: 138 Member
    Options

Heh. Same here. I was going to say Windows makes it a bad server. ;)
  • TheFitHooker
    Options
    I hated serving. Customers could either make or break my day. My biggest pet peeves as a customer are not filling up my glass when it's been empty and taking -forever- to drop the check, which doesn't even make sense. Why wouldn't want to fill my seat with a new table or even go home sooner?

I personally try and do as much as I can while running between tables. If I have 4 tables at the same time, I might be refilling a drink, getting a to go box, dropping dishes off in the back while prebusting tables, running food for someone because where I work if we hear "Runner" and we aren't actually taking an order or putting an order into the computer, we have to get back there and run the food because we want the food fresh when the table gets it. There are many reasons why the check may not be delivered ASAP. Lately I've printed the check out after the order has been placed in and if they decide they want something else I'll add to it and reprint it. I still may not drop it off asap because I don't do that till the person is almost done with their food.
  • TheFitHooker
    Options
    I always find it more common that customers are d-bags, not servers...and I have never been a server. I tip minimum 20% unless the server is OBVIOUSLY just an *kitten*. Otherwise, I start at 20% and it goes up from there.

Some people will also try to nit-pick to drop a tip amount or not tip...or even get free food. These people should be shot.

OH I wish more people like you would come sit in my section LOL...
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    I just hate that servers work for tips (in the states). It puts too much pressure on what should be a pleasant dining experience.

Here in South Korea they have a genius system of actually paying their servers so prices on the menu actually reflect what you will be paying for the meal!!! (crazy right?)

And (this blew my mind the first time) there are bell buttons at every table so when you are ready to order or need something, you press the button and whatever server that is available attends to you.

No one ever hounds you or asks you how your meal is.