Sweet potato recipes!

Options
Hey y'all! Randomly bought some sweet potatoes (as I am wont to do), and now I need ideas of what to do with them! I was thinking a gratin since I know how to make that healthily, but I was looking for recipes (to get flavor ideas), and they were all sweet! I'm looking for savory recipes (though I sure won't turn down any delicious sweet recipes you have!) I almost always just end up making oven fries, but I want to try something different this time.

So throw 'em at me! Any good Sweet Potato recipes, but especially those savory ones

Replies

• SBlost
    Options
    bump
    I usually just cut them, spray some pam on them and sprinkle with garlic powder and maybe some italian seasoning and pop them into the oven. I cut them like fries or just in rounds. Either way they are good.
    BUT I would love some new ideas too.

Good luck!!
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Options
    I've found that pretty much any spices you'd use on one orange vegetable will work on any orange vegetable. So spices you'd put in pumpkin pie, or on squash, or carrots, etc. will work on sweet potatoes as well.

Here's something I just made this past week that's a pork recipe but includes sweet potatoes as well. Definitely savory rather than sweet. www.mccormickgourmet.com/Recipes/Main-Dishes/Bourbon-Spiced-Pork-with-Roasted-Sweet-Potatoes-and-Apples.aspx
  • siriuslestrange1
    siriuslestrange1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
    I usually just cut them, spray some pam on them and sprinkle with garlic powder and maybe some italian seasoning and pop them into the oven. I cut them like fries or just in rounds.

That's pretty much what I always do too. I was thinking of just slicing them up as oven fries to go with supper tonight, but I really want to try something interesting! The last time I dieted, I failed to stay on track after the first year because I got bored with the food. This time, I've vowed I will try as many recipes as I can!
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes... plain old boiled or baked is good enough for me but I recently tried a Bobby Flay recipe that was a nice change of pace: Par-boil the sweeties, then slice and brush with cumin, cinnamon and spanish paprika mixed in canola oil. Grill 10 minutes, turning frequently to get nice grill marks. Very yummy!
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I like them baked with 0 calorie spray butter
    YUM!
  • jo3y20
    jo3y20 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    bump for later. I love sweet potatoes.
  • Jennical
    Jennical Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I love sweet potatoes. Hoping to see some replies here...
  • RadioactivePirate
    Options
    Ok so it's got a lot of other stuff besides sweet potatoes, but it's delicious and it's totally in season right now.

Apple kielbasa Bake

Makes 6 servings
    4 cups Brussels sprouts, halved
    1 large red onion, cut into chunks
    16-ounce turkey/chicken kielbasa, sliced in 1/2-inch-thick rounds
    2 large sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
    2 baking apples, such as Cortland, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
    6 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 teaspoons dried sage
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
    2. In a large bowl, toss together the Brussels sprouts, onion, kielbasa, potatoes, apples and carrots. Drizzle the oil over the mixture, then toss again. Sprinkle in the sage, salt and pepper. Transfer the mixture to a large, rimmed baking sheet, arranging it in an even layer. Bake for 45 minutes, or until everything starts to caramelize and brown at the edges.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    Wash them, bake them or microwave them til soft, open and enjoy! If microwaved then pierce with a knife to allow the steam an escape route. Delicious just as it is.
  • siriuslestrange1
    siriuslestrange1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I recently tried a Bobby Flay recipe that was a nice change of pace: Par-boil the sweeties, then slice and brush with cumin, cinnamon and spanish paprika mixed in canola oil. Grill 10 minutes, turning frequently to get nice grill marks. Very yummy!

Oooo.. I definitely wanna try this. A mix of sweet and savory. Love it!
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    sorry I only got sweet..I put mine in the oven and cook them like acorn squash...peel slice and bake for awhile..then put low fat butter and brown sugar splenda on them...and bake them a little longer YUM
  • AngieSchaible
    AngieSchaible Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • ls_66
    ls_66 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I bake them whole then cut in half while hot and add coconut oil (teaspoon) cinnamon, pumpkin spices and a drizzle of maple syrup.. voila dessert is served
  • 388gigi
    388gigi Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I make sweet potato chips all the time. I cut them into chips, boil to par cook. Then bake in oven with a little it of spray, salt and pepper. Sometimes i even put a little cinnamon on them. YUMMO!!!
  • bluelena
    bluelena Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I usually just do oven fries, but I use more savory seasonings like Old Bay or blackening seasoning. If you use chili powder and garlic powder it really adds some zing if you squeeze a lime over them when they come out of the oven.

If I eat them like a regular baked potato I use Fage 0% Greek yogurt instead of sour cream, a tiny bit of butter, and chopped scallions.
  • veggiehottie
    veggiehottie Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Mash 'em! Like potatoes! They come out delicious!
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Peel and slice a sweet potato and pop it into boiling water until soft, drain water, and pop the potato back in with some salt, pepper, a little bit of butter or a spoon of honey. Stir until mashed.
    Serve it alongside steamed broccoli and a piece of baked, lightly breaded chicken
  • Marc713
    Marc713 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I came across this link when I was looking for some. I emailed myself the link, but never used any of the recipes...report back if you use any and they are good.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/nutrition/healthy-sweet-potato-recipes?page=0
  • laurie571
    laurie571 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    bump