Replies

• mirna_ayala0428
    mirna_ayala0428 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sunshine1992
    sunshine1992 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have this one bookmarked for later. Looks yum! I love sweet potato :)

http://mynewroots.blogspot.com.au/2009/05/sweet-sweet-potato-falafels.html
  • tnshahud
    Options
    I have never had Sweet Potatoes, always wanted to try tho, just scared!! LOL!!! There are some good recipes on here, I'm going to talk myself into trying!!!
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I always chop them up, put the 0 cal spray butter on with a little splenda brown sugar and cinnamon and put them in the oven. It is so yummy. :)
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    This went down well with the family today ... (copied from the low carb group, don't hold it against me ;))

My frittata debut ... Serves 6 ish ;)

1) Mix 12 eggs and 3/4 Cup of heavy cream together.
    2) Peel and chop 2 sweet potatoes, lob in water and microwave for 4 minutes on full
    3) Fry up some onion, mushrooms, peas and sweetcorn (I normally avoid corn but I'm heading for maintenance so ...)
    4) Chuck potatoes in baking dish, cover with oniony thing (and, in my case, some cooked up sausages) and eggs/cream mix
    5) Top with cheese
    6) Bake until set and golden

We're looking forward to having the leftovers tomorrow too ;)
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Ok so it's got a lot of other stuff besides sweet potatoes, but it's delicious and it's totally in season right now.

Apple kielbasa Bake

Makes 6 servings
    4 cups Brussels sprouts, halved
    1 large red onion, cut into chunks
    16-ounce turkey/chicken kielbasa, sliced in 1/2-inch-thick rounds
    2 large sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
    2 baking apples, such as Cortland, peeled, cored and cut into chunks
    6 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    2 teaspoons dried sage
    1 1/2 teaspoons salt
    1 teaspoon ground black pepper
    1. Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
    2. In a large bowl, toss together the Brussels sprouts, onion, kielbasa, potatoes, apples and carrots. Drizzle the oil over the mixture, then toss again. Sprinkle in the sage, salt and pepper. Transfer the mixture to a large, rimmed baking sheet, arranging it in an even layer. Bake for 45 minutes, or until everything starts to caramelize and brown at the edges.
    What is typical fat, calories, sodium of turkey/chicken kielbasa and where do you find it?
  • siriuslestrange1
    siriuslestrange1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Sorry ive no idea how to add pics, but these are hassleback sweet potatoes...yum!!!

http://www.myrecessionkitchen.com/2011/11/hasselback-sweet-potatoes.html
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rw_X4l-oBM0/T-El_aCBsII/AAAAAAAACqk/6sIfJHSTL74/s640/DSC_0069.JPG

made these last night with a few healthier alterations, i just used a tiny bit of olive oil and honey mixed with pinenuts and diced walnuts and apple, i tell you they were yummy!!!

Oh my god, I found what I'm making with my chicken tonight!!!
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Sorry ive no idea how to add pics, but these are hassleback sweet potatoes...yum!!!

http://www.myrecessionkitchen.com/2011/11/hasselback-sweet-potatoes.html
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rw_X4l-oBM0/T-El_aCBsII/AAAAAAAACqk/6sIfJHSTL74/s640/DSC_0069.JPG

made these last night with a few healthier alterations, i just used a tiny bit of olive oil and honey mixed with pinenuts and diced walnuts and apple, i tell you they were yummy!!!

Here's her picture:
    DSC_0069.JPG

And in the meantime, here is a link to another topic on MFP with an awesome sounding recipe for sweet potato donuts!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/741046-sweet-potato-donuts
  • Lyssa62
    Lyssa62 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    after all of this SP talk..I had to get some and have them in the oven baking..and cuz pumpkin is almost like SP -- there is a pumpkin pie (made skinny version sort of) sitting on top of the stove for desert!
  • connierenes
    Options
    Ingredients

5 lg cold mashed sweet potatoes (without added milk and butter)
    1/2 Cup Milk
    1/4 Cup Butter or margarine, softened
    3 Eggs
    1 tsp Salt
    1 tsp Vanilla extract
    TOPPING: (Some suggest to double ingredients)
    1/2 Cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 Cup Chopped pecans
    1/4 Cup All-purpose flour
    2 Tbs cold butter or margarine

Directions

1. In a mixing bowl, beat sweet potatoes, sugar, milk, butter, eggs, salt and vanilla until smooth. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, pecans and flour; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over potato mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees F for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.
  • siriuslestrange1
    siriuslestrange1 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Ingredients

5 lg cold mashed sweet potatoes (without added milk and butter)
    1/2 Cup Milk
    1/4 Cup Butter or margarine, softened
    3 Eggs
    1 tsp Salt
    1 tsp Vanilla extract
    TOPPING: (Some suggest to double ingredients)
    1/2 Cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 Cup Chopped pecans
    1/4 Cup All-purpose flour
    2 Tbs cold butter or margarine

Directions

1. In a mixing bowl, beat sweet potatoes, sugar, milk, butter, eggs, salt and vanilla until smooth. Transfer to a greased 2-qt. baking dish. In a small bowl, combine brown sugar, pecans and flour; cut in butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over potato mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees F for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown.

that.... does not sound remotely healthy >.>
  • ravenchick
    ravenchick Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Yoshima
    Options
    bump
    I usually just cut them, spray some pam on them and sprinkle with garlic powder and maybe some italian seasoning and pop them into the oven. I cut them like fries or just in rounds. Either way they are good.
    BUT I would love some new ideas too.

Good luck!!

I prefer them roasted more than anything, too. They are delicious, and we make them once every week or two. Probably more in the winter. I also throw them in the oven whole (just washed and poked a couple times). When done I'll slit them down the top, scrape out the insides into a bowl, then stir in a tad bit of honey, a pat of butter, and a dash of back pepper. YUM either way!
  • jojorocksforeva
    jojorocksforeva Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Careful Sweet potatoes are delicious but very high in carbs.
    Um i put some healthy oil and cut them up and fry them
    its really good lol.
  • Peggy088
    Peggy088 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mvuhlt
    mvuhlt Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato Enchiladas
    (5 Servings)

10 corn tortillas
    2 large sweet potatoes, baked and mashed
    Spices to taste: chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, taco sauce or seasoning, salt, cinnamon, etc.
    28 oz can enchilada sauce (I use mild red, but green would be good, too). You will have sauce left over
    2 oz shredded cheese, optional
    Chopped onion, optional

Mash sweet potatoes with seasonings to taste. Mix in about ½ cup of enchilada sauce. Set aside.
    Spray 10x13 pan with cooking spray. Dip tortilla in sauce, then fill with 1/10th of the mixture, roll and put in pan. Pour enchilada sauce over enchiladas (eyeball it-you don’t want it swimming, but tortillas will absorb the sauce).

Top with chopped onion. Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes. Uncover, add cheese, and bake another 10 minutes to brown cheese. They freeze well and taste better the next day.

For spices I used cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice and red peppers.
  • kcb1027
    kcb1027 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I dice them into half inch cubes and add them to black bean and turkey chili. Saute the sweet potatoes with onions, garlic, red bell pepper, and jalapeno; add ground turkey and brown until cooked; season with cumin, oregano, canned chipotle in adobo, and a bit of cinnamon and unsweetened cocoa; add canned fire roasted tomatoes and low sodium broth or a little beer to thin it out if needed; simmer a good while; add rinsed low sodium canned black beans and frozen corn and simmer until warmed through.

Sounds weird, but it is delicious, I swear!
  • carolyn002
    carolyn002 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Great recipes and ideas - thanks! ; )