Halloween Candy/Vandals

Options
Will my home be vandalized if I pass out packets of carrots instead of candy? I just don't think I can have candy around right now.... I bought a bag of CARAMEL candy corn this weekend and I had to stash the bag out of sight because I couldn't stop snacking on them. Any tips for the upcoming candy fest?
I barely survived the onslaught of the little Crack Cookie Peddlers last March.
Thanks!

Replies

• JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Turn your lights off and don't answer the door.
  • kris4chloe
    kris4chloe Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    what about little trinkets or something? there is still time to order something from oriental trading. they have tons of cute little giveaways that are affordable
  • theaimster30
    theaimster30 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure I want people to think a sex offender lives there! lol
  • bpwparents
    bpwparents Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    For sweets in my house I buy things that I purposely don't like or can easily live without. Only buy candy that you can stand to not eat. If I lived in a neighborhood I would pass out Baby Ruths's. Yuck!! I hate coconut!
  • _Mimi_
    _Mimi_ Posts: 233
    Options
    Buy your candy the day of trick or treat, dump the leftovers into the bag of the last trick or treater.

Honestly, I wouldn't give carrots. Not so much for fear of vandalism, but because you would probably be wasting your money. Yes it's better for the kids, but carrots are not what Halloween is about.

Another "trick" I use is to only buy candy I don't like.
  • jr1985
    jr1985 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Lol yes if you give out carrots your house may very will be vandalized... Or the police might be called thinking that you are poisoning the kids if things don't come in pre-wrapped packages... assuming that you were being serious in the first post...

maybe have some friends over for a party of your own on Halloween... Healthy food for you adults at the party, and whatever candy is left over from trick or treaters at the end of the night send home with your party guests to that it is out of the house.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    How about small granola bars, or small prepackaged sunflower seeds?
    Or, do what I do: buy something YOU don't like.
  • Dzambhala
    Dzambhala Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    LOL, nope I wouldn't give carrots either, nice thought but I don't think the sugar craving addicts would like them.

I'd go to the dollar store and buy some cheap little toys or how about little pez dispensers?

Or like the above lady said, get some sweets that you don't really like and hand them out.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Buy it the day before or the day of and give it all away. If you have it left over, donate it or throw it out.

There's no reason to buy Halloween candy in September. There isn't a vast shortage of it that it won't be available on October 31.
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Buy the candy, hide it away until Halloween, then just put it in a bowl and sit it outside. Then you don't have to worry about snacking on it all evening.
  • melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    they make halloween treat bags of pretzels :)
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    Buy candy you hate, then there shouldn't be a temptation. I'm not a fan of hard candies and Smarties, so that's the crap I usually buy for Halloween. I have to stay away from anything chocolate and/or peanut butter. There wouldn't be any left!
  • Becoming_A_Butterfly
    Becoming_A_Butterfly Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't give carrots. Your home may not be vandalized, but I can almost guarantee they would be thrown away.

I just buy candy I don't like. No temptation!
  • AlicynH
    AlicynH Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    You could also give out suckers. DumDum's only have 25 calories and you can get a big bag for pretty cheap.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    With the levels of parental paranoia at all time highs anything that is not manufactured and hermetically sealed / sanitized is likely to just be tossed.

Wait until the day before Halloween to buy your supplies (you'll probably get them on sale too) and try not to overestimate how much you'll need. One of the sad parts about living in a maturing neighbourhood is that we've had virtually no kids trick or treating for the last couple of years. It used to be so much fun going out with the kids and seeing the houses decorated........../nostalgia.
  • Caffeinewitch
    Caffeinewitch Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    If I were a kid and you handed out carrots - I'd throw them out, maybe in your bushes. Or better yet, they'd go rotten sitting in my candy bag for weeks at a time while i was trying to make the candy last.

Get candy you don't like, or if you like all candy or will be desperate to eat it anyway, have a hard workout that morning and hand out candy anyway.
    Anything left over even after the last trick or-treaters can be taken to work, or to a local charity for kids who didn't get to go out on Hallowe'en.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Give them money instead.
  • reteed
    reteed Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    One of our neighbors passes out packages of Ramen noodles. As far as I know the neighborhood kids seem to look forward to it. What surprises me is that when we have to leave to go somewhere, I sit the bowl of goodies on our front step. When we get home some of the candy is gone so we know kids have been there. My husband is just surprised that bowl and everything is not gone!
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    the kids wouldnt be happy to get carrots...

i just buy candy that i dont like so that i dont eat it...
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I'm not really sure I want people to think a sex offender lives there! lol

..... huh?

Is this in reply to turning off your light and not answering the door? Tons of people do this - people with babies who are trying to sleep, people who have run out of candy, or people who don't want to participate for whatever reason.

It's fine. Most of the kids won't even bother you.

*Edit: Most parents will just throw the carrots out because they don't want their kids to have something someone else has handled and potentially tainted.