Is it possible to lose weight without exercising?

Options

Replies

• MommaKit79
    Options
    NO, DONT GIVE UP!!!

Not only all that people ahve said but, imagine the extra calories you burn walking on crutches!?!?! Keep moving somehow! :) Youc ans till do it...even if it is jsut maintaining where you are now, it is better then going backward and havign to completely start over. BEEN THERE, DONE THAT = NO FUN!!!!

GOOD LUCK and prayers for a quick recovery! :)
  • tjphelps73
    tjphelps73 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    YES! You can lose weight and not actually move your legs. Depending on your height, reduce your calories to the minimum, lower the percentage of carbs, and then when you do arm cardio etc., you can eat some of those calories back. Once you are back up and mobile you can concentrate on your legs to get them shaped up.
  • alderman59
    alderman59 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I broke my ankle 5 years ago and that was the beginning of my weight gain....I let it get out of control. 5 years later I had to lose 25. Don't let this happen to you. It is much easier to watch what you eat and do as much upper body as you can. I know your arms are probably sore from crutches but push through it. Shoot to maintain, anything more than that will be a great success.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    It's been proven that long term weight loss is 70% diet, 30% exercise so be strict with your calorie intake and if you're up to it you can do some upper body weights until you are back on both feet again. Healing will require calories so don't go too crazy :wink:
  • BrokenBarbiexoxo
    BrokenBarbiexoxo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Of course, I'm not suggesting you don't exercise, but for me, it's all about food, if I exercise I lose nothing, if it's just food then I lose. Go figure.
  • boogie17
    boogie17 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I so know your pain about breaking your ankle and getting pins and plates. Back in December 2008, I broke mine as well, and my leg. Had to have the same thing done, and was off my leg and couldn't do nothing for 4months. Was not happy. It is possible to loss while not exercising. I lost, I just watched what I ate, and did portion control. I was very surprised, since I was stuck on a couch. The only walking i could do was back in forth to the kitchen to help, i couldn't do stairs, or outside in winter. And I had a 3month old at the time. My mom and fiance helped me out alot. You will get thorugh it. Need help let me know.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    Weight is lost in the kitchen and not in the gym.

I guess the question I would ask myself if I were in your position would be, "Do you want MORE weight on your ankle when it starts to heal and you have to start walking on it, or do you want LESS weight on your ankle for the recovery process?" Like they say when you're packing a bag for camping or in the military...ounces = pounds and pounds = pain. I would personally want to weigh as little as I can by the time I have to learn to use my ankle again.
  • newmooon56
    newmooon56 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    Based on clean eating principles Nutrition is 80% of the equation. I have not worked out since Saturday and have been on point with my eating and lost lbs. It is very possible to lose without working out.

Exactly what I was going to say. Took almost 2 weeks off of cardio, partly for a schedule reason- some for a slight injury. Losing actually picked up speed these last 2 weeks- go figure. Knowing I wasnt burning at my normal rate I did watch my calories a little closer I will say.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Yes it is possible. The whole "you have to exercise to lose weight thing" is a total myth. You don't have to exercise to lose weight. Let your body heal! :smile: Exercise will increase your health though.

Weight reduction is about math. Calories, little units of energy. Just adjust your profile to sedentary until your better.

Good luck.
  • sfs72015
    sfs72015 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Great post, I need to have knee surgery but can't right now I get up and use my arm weights scales not moving much but it is not going up and that the most important thing.
  • ritoosh
    ritoosh Posts: 190
    Options
    dont quit. i havent been able to get around to the gym the pass couple weeks but ive been keeping in with my calorie goal and i been losing weight! just do the best you can and hope your ankle heals quick! :D
  • saadia2012
    Options
    Well im on Ideal Protein Diet and on the first phase of the diet it saids no exercises....i been on this diet for 3 weeks and i loss 10 pounds already no exercise at all.
  • jaquwa
    jaquwa Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Definately don't quit, losing weight is about 80% diet 20% exercise.

About 10 years ago I lost 6 stone in 10 months on slimming world and didn't work out once.

Good luck and I hope you are back on your feet soon
  • MissKim
    MissKim Posts: 2,853 Member
    Options
    Weight Loss comes from diet not from exercise. So yes, you absolutely can lose as much weight as you would like from diet alone. I know this because I hate the gym and I hate exercise. I lost 60 lbs before I got pregnant in five months with diet alone. and I've lost 40 lbs in the last few months from diet alone. Exercise is good for you and good for your metabolism and necessary to tone up and add muscle (if you're not getting exercise naturally from activity) but it's not necessary for weight loss. Match up calories with level of activity, period. So if you're sitting all day you won't need as many calories as you would if you were very active and worked out.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I lost my first 50 pounds with only dietary changes. It actually dropped off pretty steadily once I started eating right. Then after the first 50, I had more energy and less aches and pains, and I started moving more. But it can be done!

This is what I am doing as well. I hurt so badly when I workout for longer than about 20 minutes or so, the next day I'm sooo sore. Plus, I just sprained my knee 2 months ago pretty badly and it acts up and have arthritis in my ankle, not to mention the chest injuries I've gone through (fractured my breastbone from my ribs twice I'M A MESS)!! LOL!

I'm hoping when some weight's gone, it'll be easier =)
  • momof3kiddos34
    Options

PS - what do you think it worse? A foot or a hand? I acutally got into wild (but funny) discussions with my friends when I had my hand done (it was a ligament re-attachment in my thumb, in my writitng hand!!, from a sporting injury)...

That is a tough one!!! I would initally say foot because not being able to walk so well has really been crappy and I can't use my hands to do things like pick up my 2 year old because I have crutches. BUT I bet hand would be awful as well. I can't imagine what I would do without my internet and typing!!! So, I think final answer is they BOTH stink!!!
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you could do pilates or some yoga moves?
    I have the Windsor Pilates DVDs from 100 years ago and still love them. Most of the movements are done laying down or sitting on the floor, so you won't be putting weight on your ankle.
    Good luck!
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

PS - what do you think it worse? A foot or a hand? I acutally got into wild (but funny) discussions with my friends when I had my hand done (it was a ligament re-attachment in my thumb, in my writitng hand!!, from a sporting injury)...

For exercise, a hand is better to injure. But when I injured my ankle, my wrist also was injured for a time (I reached out my arm to break my fall. This is why cyclists wear gloves.l).

During the time my wrist ached with the smallest movement, I realized once again how everything is interconnected. Try getting through the day with a painful neck, for example. It's hard to ignore.
  • goldfinger88
    goldfinger88 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Absolutely! Exercise is mostly to tone muscles from weight loss. And to gain muscle. It has very little effect on weight loss.
  • kesteele
    Options
    Essentially yes -- if you cut enough from your calories, ex. 500cal/day would be 3500cal/week which = 1lb. but it is harder. anything that you can do to get moving upper body wise would be great but short non complicated answer to the question is yes. :)