Feeling Colder?

Options
Ever since I've lost weight I'm extremely cold ALL the time, even in the summer I was constantly wearing a sweatshirt. Just had a check up, so I know I'm not in poor health or my heart isn't freezing over lol.

Now that autumn is almost here I'm miserable! I'm almost wishing I had some of that built in fat protection still! (almost lol)

Anyone else feeling colder (besides just the changing weather)? Are you just packing on the extra layers,or trying to get your blood pumping more?

Replies

• Vickiesings
    Options
    Wow! You have done an amazing job! I am just beginning my long journey but I am sitting here in my office with a space heater....so I do know what you mean.
  • Adsnwfld
    Adsnwfld Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Yep, I'm right there with you. I just layer up.
    What I have noticed is if you have a cheat day (real don't care, track nothing day) I'm warmer that day

Good luck and spring is right around the corner:)
  • Keran24
    Keran24 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I only lost 28 pounds last year but I am still warm more than cold. I have always tended to be a warm person though. Did your dr check your thyroid?
  • CollegiateGrief
    CollegiateGrief Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I've only lost 35 pounds so far and I've already been colder than I used to be. Your weight loss is so impressive! I'm looking forward to the day I'm shivvering my butt off with you, haha.
  • Wuggums
    Wuggums Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    <--- cold ALL the time!! Even in the heat of the summer, I have a blanket around me if the ceiling fan is on. Year round, I sleep in flannel pajamas under flannel sheets and a down comforter. I've had blood work done and there is nothing "wrong" with me - I just have less "insulation". Although an MFPeep recently suggested fish oil supplements, and I'm going to give that a try.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I have always tended towards the cold side, but definitely since my weight loss, I am ALWAYS cold. Some days, I get so cold at work, I run the heater part of the way home (and this is in 90+ degree heat).
    I just try to wear layers so that I can adjust to how warm or cool I am feeling.
    Kaye
  • abigailmariecs
    abigailmariecs Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I miss that so much. With 30+ left to lose I am hot all the time. I would rather be cold than hot it is easy to add layers but when you are down to a t-shirt and shorts it is hard to cool down any more and still stay covered deciently
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I only lost 28 pounds last year but I am still warm more than cold. I have always tended to be a warm person though. Did your dr check your thyroid?

My family actually now has a history of thyroid cancer, most likely from being exposed over in europe. It's amazing how they can track the cancer to a certain amount of years ago!

I may want to have a check up on it you're right... easier to just bundle up! lol

I used to be warm all the time, hot cheeks and all! Nice in winter time I guess...
  • ThatDarnZach
    ThatDarnZach Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Yep, I feel you. I realized that in the summer, when it's blisteringly hot, I will sweat far less than I did during the normal activities of the day. I have lost probably another 25 lbs since last winter so I'm interested to see if I notice a difference between this year and last.

Interesting topic and I guess sort of a bizarre NSV!
  • lauralind5
    lauralind5 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    You are colder because youve lost your insulation, not so much the outward fat layer you can see, but the brown fat, the stuff inside. Theres not much you can do until your body catches up but try to stay warm by drinking warm liquids and dressing in layers
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I went from 168-133 and I'm constantly cold! Which is weird, because I find I sweat more easily, but I'm cold just sitting in the office or around the house.

As annoying as it is, I'll take it. It beats where I was 18 months ago!!!

:-)
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    When I first started losing weight and was going at it full throttle and trying to cut everything out, I was averaging 20-30 grams of dietary fat a day and I was freezing constantly. When I did some more reading and upped that to 25-35% (usually around 85 grams a day) of my daily calorie intake, It got allot better. Might be a coincidence, but I definately noticed a correlation.
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Wow! You have done an amazing job! I am just beginning my long journey but I am sitting here in my office with a space heater....so I do know what you mean.

Thank you! It's been a few years in the process! I do the same in my office! I need my feet toasty all the time! Everyone who comes in think im crazy lol
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Definitely.....I tell people it's because I've lost all my insulation :smile:

With the exception of the occasional hot flash, I'm ALWAYS cold and I never used to be. I was so, so, so hot natured when I was carrying around 90 more pounds.
  • 3rdxacharm
    3rdxacharm Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Several years ago I lost 60 lbs and I stayed cold. I had more pairs of thermals then I knew what to do with. I wore them under my clothes everyday. Shirts and pants. I have read that it is a side effect of losing weight and that it takes about 18 months for you body to re-regulate itself. I have put the weight back on but I have kept my coolness.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Well, it is becoming Fall, ya know.
  • Chelsrf
    Chelsrf Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I definitely know what you mean... I am constantly freezing, especially at work. I'm just packing on the layers and hoping for the best.
  • llamalland
    llamalland Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've noticed it! I still have 40+ pounds to go, so I still have plenty of insulation, but find myself reaching for a long-sleeved shirt, or wearing jeans instead of shorts, and it's still unseasonably warm here...

I can understand why nature designs animals to "bulk up" for winter..... Me? I'll just wear more clothes! :bigsmile:
  • ms1978
    ms1978 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I've always been on the feeling colder side, but I've noticed that since I've lost weight it's become much worse!! I too have a space heater under my desk that I'm using right now and have used this whole past summer (and it was in the 90s most days)!!! I thought that maybe it had something to do with the amount of water I drink now and since I drink it cold, it cools my core temp....what do you ladies think?
  • joyous504
    Options
    I'm especially cold, that includes all summer long. At work I have a space heater set at 80, and a big sweater ready for the wearing.