Feeling Colder?

Replies

• nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Could be a sign that your metabolism has dropped. If you've lost weight by taking your calories lower than you should have, that may have caused your metabolism to decrease. You should have your thyroid checked. Being cold all the time is one of the symptoms of low thyroid function.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    I can feel changes in temperature more now. Like even walking down the street, I can feel the difference from heat radiating off a stone wall. Or feel the cold if my arm gets close to my glass of ice water on my desk.

But I don't MIND the cold as much because I'm so much more active. I'd rather the temps be a little on the chilly side because once I start exercising, I'm going to be a gross sweaty mess.
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    Ever since I've lost weight I'm extremely cold ALL the time, even in the summer I was constantly wearing a sweatshirt. Just had a check up, so I know I'm not in poor health or my heart isn't freezing over lol.

Now that autumn is almost here I'm miserable! I'm almost wishing I had some of that built in fat protection still! (almost lol)

Anyone else feeling colder (besides just the changing weather)? Are you just packing on the extra layers,or trying to get your blood pumping more?

Bundle up...I never want the fat back.
  • Starlightbella
    Starlightbella Posts: 77 Member
    Wow I didn't realize this was an actual issue. I thought I was CRAZY. I am always cold. more so lately than even before. Last night my daughter and I were freezing (she's super skinny) and my b/f (who is getting bigger) was complaining that he was sweating! I'm going to keep looking into this and hope I learn to deal with it before the winter.
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member
    I've always been on the feeling colder side, but I've noticed that since I've lost weight it's become much worse!! I too have a space heater under my desk that I'm using right now and have used this whole past summer (and it was in the 90s most days)!!! I thought that maybe it had something to do with the amount of water I drink now and since I drink it cold, it cools my core temp....what do you ladies think?

During the summer (and most of september) I've been chugging ice cold water. It ups your metabolism, because your body is working to heat up your core.

Think it's time we alternate warm and cold drinks to stop shivering lol
  • I get cold too since I have lost weight. HAve they done bloodwork...someone once told me that a vitamin deficency could be a problem. but, you could just not be used to the "lack of insulation"...which is a good thing. My M.I.L. has a vitamin deficency and it causes her to be cold easily.

Someone also told me that once you build muscle it helps a bit. But, I havent seen that yet.

GOOD LUCK!!!!!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Oh yeah! Me too! I noticed it right after my bariatric surgery and thought it was related to that, but the more weight I lose, the more cold I seem to be! And I've got another 100 pounds to go before I hit the "ideal" weight they say I should be at. :laugh:
  • Angie_1991
    Angie_1991 Posts: 447 Member
    I've only lost 35 pounds so far and I've already been colder than I used to be. Your weight loss is so impressive! I'm looking forward to the day I'm shivvering my butt off with you, haha.

Only? 35 pounds is great..be proud...don't say ONLY....
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    When my husband lost a lot of weight the same thing happened to him but it was only temporary. It should go away in a year or so.
  • mensasu
    mensasu Posts: 355 Member
    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/11/science/11qna.html
    http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/25/health/brown-fat-burns-ordinary-fat-study-finds.html

Fat or skinny I'm always cold - and my thyroid is fine. I have taken omega 3 (fish oil large doses) for my arthritis for over a year and no change to my feeling cold. Luckily my husband is always hot so I just snuggle up to him when I can.:blushing:
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    No matter how much weight I lose or how much I work out... I'm ALWAYS hot! I do not acclimate to heat. My body refuses to. I can't get far enough north in the summer to escape it. Bring on winter!
  • fernandesg
    fernandesg Posts: 54 Member
    Me too! But I was uncomfortably hot all the time, and had been since I was pregnant and nursing my first baby. I had thought it was my hormones out of whack, but the doc tested me multiple times and all was good. Now I've gone from being hot and sweaty all the time to wearing a sweater to be warm. For me it has been a great side effect of losing weight - I'm not sweating all the time!
  • jetabear10
    jetabear10 Posts: 375 Member
    You don't have as much fat to insulate you and you may be low in iron...have your doctor check your iron.
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Oh, I completely understand this!! I've turned into the biggest Freeze-baby ever.

My thyroid is fine, my labs are excellent. I just think I don't have all my padding left anymore.

I live in MN and Winter is coming, man, I hope my body adjusts soon. It's been around 50 degrees lately and I'm freezing. What will I do when it gets BELOW ZERO?!
  • happyfeetrebel1
    happyfeetrebel1 Posts: 1,005 Member
    I've always been on the feeling colder side, but I've noticed that since I've lost weight it's become much worse!! I too have a space heater under my desk that I'm using right now and have used this whole past summer (and it was in the 90s most days)!!! I thought that maybe it had something to do with the amount of water I drink now and since I drink it cold, it cools my core temp....what do you ladies think?

During the summer (and most of september) I've been chugging ice cold water. It ups your metabolism, because your body is working to heat up your core.

The cold water thing is a myth. It sounds plausible, but has been disproven. I can't find the studies, but I promise they're out there. I'd stick with hot cocoa :)
  • debs6
    debs6 Posts: 232 Member
    Oh I can endorse fully what people are saying! We are just starting spring here in Australia - I am so pleased as I have never been as cold inmy whole life as this last winter. I have been wearing thermals from top to bottom - then adding at least three more layers..... then a thick coat. People and students at work think that I am hilarious- but I only w ant to be warm. I used to prefer winter to summer as I always believed that you could always get warm. Not any more!! I am so over the cold!,
  • jmeyer925
    jmeyer925 Posts: 326 Member

The cold water thing is a myth. It sounds plausible, but has been disproven. I can't find the studies, but I promise they're out there. I'd stick with hot cocoa :)

Haha it could be a myth, but my doctor told me the same thing, and webmd said it too. (but you're right, don't think there's too many studies done on it).

I love hot chocolate! But dang those calories! Found the Diet hot chocolate, 25 calories, delicious! Perfect for chilly fall nights :drinker:
  • ciecie66
    ciecie66 Posts: 42 Member
    I have always been a little cold. But since my weight loss surgery I am cold ALL the time. I have iron poor blood but I am taking iron everyday. I keep a shawl at work so that I can wrap up in it. My co workers look at me like i am nutz because we are in Texas and it can be 110 outside and I will have a shawl on!! LOL
  • 126siany
    126siany Posts: 1,386 Member
    Congrats on your weight loss!

Feeling colder could be a sign that you lost a good deal of muscle mass along with the fat. It might be time to incorporate or increase strength training and check your protein intake so you can re-build some muscle mass.

I'm freakishly warm even when thin, and it's down to muscle mass.
  • TheArmadillo
    TheArmadillo Posts: 299 Member
    I have gone from always being hot to actually feeling the cold. I've had to invest in coats and everything :grumble:
    My husband said 'welcome to my world' :laugh: