Weight Loss/Fat burning for hypothyroidism? Help me. :(

Options
I've tried EVERYTHING!! My poor body has been through a lot; Diet pills, Cabbage soup, Keto, low carb, eating at maintenance, Diet breaks, high calorie, low calorie, Whole30...and even more!!! Some worked but then i start to gain it all back (while still following the bloody diet). Right now i'm eating mostly Paleo foods, but on Weight Watchers. I try to follow LeanGains macro's and lift 3 days a week.

The above information is probably pointless. The main point of this thread is to ask other hypothyroid sufferers what worked for them? Its not all about losing weight. I just really want to lose fat. My BMI is 29 - nearly 30. I wouldn't mind that if my body fat was normal, but its bloody 36-37%!!!

As you have probably guessed, i just can't afford to risk gaining anymore...

Replies

• CharleneExtreme
    Options
    Also i'm considering Leigh Peeles Metabolic Repair but i'm scared of the slightest weight gain!
  • red051683
    red051683 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry no one with this Hypo has replied, I do not have it, although I thought I did until I re-confirmed.

My body works about the way you are describing though, and I am doing a Paleo(esque), keto, type way of life now, no grains or wheat, and I am finally starting to see results after 10 weeks. Yes, I just said 10 weeks. I stayed in the 260's for that entire time and by the grace of all that is living I have finally dropped into the 250's and I am hoping it continues this way. My body was just exhausted, sick and sick of me frigging around with it. It was shocked when I cut out all carbs and sugar, and it took all this time to start adjusting, and I do NOT feel like it is adjusted all the way.

You can do this. Keep at it- if you feel fantastic, then trust it is starting to work- dont be like me .. googling every two seconds and trying to find the excused answers for why I didn't lose weight yet... It turns out my body was working on it, and there really is no other answers.
  • JessyJ03
    JessyJ03 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Are your medications in line? I know if my thyroid meds go off I start to gain weight even when I'm dieting and exercising.

The best thing that has worked for me is your typical diet and exercise. It's probably going to be a little slower than most people but it WILL come off.
  • MammaC66
    MammaC66 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I have had hypothyroidism for over 40 years and I have lost weight many different ways. Just never kept it off. The best way I have found is just counting calories and eating healthy. If your meds are keeping your thyroid hormone levels right, you should be able to lose just fine. Exercise helps, too. Weight Watchers is a great program and I lost weight well on it, but I lose just as well counting calories and MFP is free. I lost 35 pounds on WW before I switched to MFP and 42 since I started here in March.
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options
    I'm sorry no one with this Hypo has replied, I do not have it, although I thought I did until I re-confirmed.

My body works about the way you are describing though, and I am doing a Paleo(esque), keto, type way of life now, no grains or wheat, and I am finally starting to see results after 10 weeks. Yes, I just said 10 weeks. I stayed in the 260's for that entire time and by the grace of all that is living I have finally dropped into the 250's and I am hoping it continues this way. My body was just exhausted, sick and sick of me frigging around with it. It was shocked when I cut out all carbs and sugar, and it took all this time to start adjusting, and I do NOT feel like it is adjusted all the way.

You can do this. Keep at it- if you feel fantastic, then trust it is starting to work- dont be like me .. googling every two seconds and trying to find the excused answers for why I didn't lose weight yet... It turns out my body was working on it, and there really is no other answers.
    When you started doing paleo did you lose, then gain again? I've been doing about 8 weeks and lost for, i think, the first 4. Since then i've been gaining. So frustrating!! Maybe i should go full paleo for another while. Its really hard though. I get bored of food easily! Too late - i'm just like you were! Constantly googling which diets are good for thyroid!! Maybe i should be more patient...
    Are your medications in line? I know if my thyroid meds go off I start to gain weight even when I'm dieting and exercising.

The best thing that has worked for me is your typical diet and exercise. It's probably going to be a little slower than most people but it WILL come off.
    I don't think my medication is right. If it was, i wouldn't be gaining, right? I'm going to my doctor monday though so we'll see if they need to be adjusted. Diet and exercise has worked for me. Though these last few weeks have freaked me out since i'm gaining! I was thinking of adding 30 Day Shred, as well as lifting, but it would probably be way too much exercise!! Is there a way to tell if your thyroid meds are working? I honestly have no idea how to judge!
    I have had hypothyroidism for over 40 years and I have lost weight many different ways. Just never kept it off. The best way I have found is just counting calories and eating healthy. If your meds are keeping your thyroid hormone levels right, you should be able to lose just fine. Exercise helps, too. Weight Watchers is a great program and I lost weight well on it, but I lose just as well counting calories and MFP is free. I lost 35 pounds on WW before I switched to MFP and 42 since I started here in March.
    All the posts i've read here make me think that maybe i need to get a higher dosage. Wow you've lost a lot! WW worked for me for a while. Lost about 14lbs on it. Unfortunately i have at least another 20 to go!
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like your body is stressed out and you may also have an adrenal gland issue. I thought I was hypothyroid (and was diagnosed as such) for about three years and then I had an onset of other weird symptoms... turned out I had an adrenal imbalance AND DHEA insufficiency, which in turn led to the thyroid issues. I am now in the process of getting things fixed, but it's a lifestyle change. I am out of law school now (which 110% contributed to the problem along with taking the Bar exam) but am now pregnant. I just try to eat healthy foods and since I'm pregnant I'm eating at maintenance. Your body needs a break from all the "diets" and I don't know how much you exercise but everything needs to be in a balance. It took me four years to figure this all out - I gained 30 pounds in two months when I took the Bar exam, and I was tracking and exercising. My doctor said it's physically impossible, except in the case of hormonal imbalances like we have.
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    bump for future use
  • TLCEsq
    Options

This way of eating is also helpful for people who have adrenal fatigue. I lost five pounds in a month eating this way but then when I got pregnant I was hit with bad morning sickness for about 6 weeks. I am just now easing back into it, but it has been a struggle.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Talk to your doctor. If you are being treated medically (usually with synthroid) it should elevate your thyroid back to normal levels. Once your thyroid levels return to normal, you should be able to lose with diet and exercise like anyone else.
  • mikej91
    Options
    I don't know if you have herd of it but maybe you should try intermittent fasting. Just search it on you tube the hodge twins have a whole channel to it they have good advice. I have been doing it and have noticed fat loss all over my body.
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options
    It sounds to me like your body is stressed out and you may also have an adrenal gland issue. I thought I was hypothyroid (and was diagnosed as such) for about three years and then I had an onset of other weird symptoms... turned out I had an adrenal imbalance AND DHEA insufficiency, which in turn led to the thyroid issues. I am now in the process of getting things fixed, but it's a lifestyle change. I am out of law school now (which 110% contributed to the problem along with taking the Bar exam) but am now pregnant. I just try to eat healthy foods and since I'm pregnant I'm eating at maintenance. Your body needs a break from all the "diets" and I don't know how much you exercise but everything needs to be in a balance. It took me four years to figure this all out - I gained 30 pounds in two months when I took the Bar exam, and I was tracking and exercising. My doctor said it's physically impossible, except in the case of hormonal imbalances like we have.
    Yeah i was thinking of getting my cortisol checked, as well as my adrenals. (You're not the first person to suggest this to me.) Are you feeling any different now? Obviously i assume you won't know about weight until after your pregnancy, but has your energy etc changed?
  • nmettling
    Options
    I have had hypothyroidism since my early 20s. I am 33 years old and had weighed in at 205lbs. when my youngest child was born 07/02/2011. I am already down to150lbs. I have been counting calories, running daily, and have been using Herbalife Healthy Meal Replacement shakes 2x per day. They are filling, and delicious, and along with a ton of weight I have lost a ton of FAT. I highly suggest Herbalife products.
  • janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I think you really need to discuss this with your doctor for your specific needs.
  • HappyandToned
    HappyandToned Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and the only way I lost weight, was to basically eat under, or very close to, 1200 calories.

I cut out sugary foods, alcohol and carbs (such as white bread, rice, pasta) and only ate 3-4 times a day.

Breakfast was usually Special K Original cereal, or I ate porridge.
    Lunch was either a sandwich (which I eventually cut out, because of the carbs in the bread), or a salad.
    Dinner was lean protein (mainly fish) and a heap of veges, or a salad.
    Snack after dinner was a piece of fruit.

I also worked out 5-7 times a week.

Hypothyroidism really is a *****. I'm so over it! I'm currently taking 100mcg of Synthroid per day and the side effects aren't fun.
  • fitsin10
    Options
    Been hypothyroid for 6 years now. had thyroid removed , I have Graves Disease. You need to have meds adjusted. Do what you think you need to do on exercise, keep at it, your doing great! It will all come off when your adjusted. Good luck!
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    I think the doctor visit is the ticket. I have hypothyroidism which is finally under control. Now that I am appropriately medicated, (took time to get dose right), I have steadlly lost to goal and then some through exercise & sensible eating, NO DIETS. Good luck hun.l
  • kellygirl324
    kellygirl324 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It can be done! Ive had hypothyroidism for approximately 11 years. I lost 12 pounds last month and am close to maintenance now. Would like to drop another 10 pounds, but Im not fretting over it. What helped last month was a huge amount of cardio. to burn fat. Diet was varied with all things I love!
  • GwennyH
    GwennyH Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hypothyroidism for the past 5 years here...

I've been able to lose over 10 pounds in the past 40 days through MFP calorie-counting and daily exercise. Yes, every single day. The more I move, the better I feel, and the more likely I am to stick to the plan.

But I will say, I am also very adamant about having my TSH levels checked frequently (every 6 months or more often if the symptoms come back) and keeping it below 3.0. Some old-school doctors will still insist the scale is .5-5. I can hardly get out of bed when I'm at a 5. The new scale for the past several years is .3-3 and you may need to educate your older Provider on this. Anyhow, I've found it fluctuates significantly for me and my meds have changed once or twice every year. Some medical providers will be reluctant to change your meds if you're "close enough", but I always insist they keep me exactly in range. After all, I'm the one who has to deal with the daily in/outs of the symptoms, it's just unfortunate that it creates extra work for them! But when it's not in range, the fatigue, the moods, and all the other symptoms rolled up together are just too much to be able to lose weight. I say test frequently and stay on top of it! I have never been successful at losing weight when my TSH numbers are off...

And best of luck to you: I hope you can find a good solution soon!
  • jgm379
    jgm379 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and the only way I lost weight, was to basically eat under, or very close to, 1200 calories.

I cut out sugary foods, alcohol and carbs (such as white bread, rice, pasta) and only ate 3-4 times a day.

Breakfast was usually Special K Original cereal, or I ate porridge.
    Lunch was either a sandwich (which I eventually cut out, because of the carbs in the bread), or a salad.
    Dinner was lean protein (mainly fish) and a heap of veges, or a salad.
    Snack after dinner was a piece of fruit.

I also worked out 5-7 times a week.

This is the perfect way to lose weight for those who have a hard time. Sacrifice, Sacrifice, Sacrifice!
  • TLCEsq
    Options
    Yeah i was thinking of getting my cortisol checked, as well as my adrenals. (You're not the first person to suggest this to me.) Are you feeling any different now? Obviously i assume you won't know about weight until after your pregnancy, but has your energy etc changed?

YES. It's a lot to explain so I won't go into crazy detail, but even though I am on 150 mcg of Synthroid and my TSH is around .6 - 1.0, I was still cold, tired all the time, nervous/anxious and woke up a lot when I was sleeping. I also craved salt and sweet foods. I went on a compounded DHEA prescription as well as compounded cortisol and that's when I started losing a bit of weight when I changed my eating habits. Then I had to go off both prescriptions because I was trying to conceive and it only took about two weeks. My DHEA was still on the low end the last time it was checked, and you need to do the SALIVA cortisol test where you give four samples at specific times then mail it in to the lab. I had normal morning and mid-morning, then I tanked after lunch which is when I hit my "wall" every day.

Fast forward to pregnancy.... first trimester I was tired and nauseated so of course it was hard to tell if I was having issues. However, I started craving salt again like madwoman and also had a stressful situation at work. Pregnancy sleep in the beginning was good for me, but then I started waking up again. I'm talking wide awake at 2:30 AM and can't go back to sleep for a couple hours. So, I talked to my doctor and started taking AdrenaSense, just one in the morning. I also take a Metagenics adrenal support vitamin and a ton of vitamin C. I don't drink caffeine anymore either because of the pregnancy. About a week after I started this, I felt great again and no more sleep problems. The salt cravings disappeared almost immediately.

I feel like I know my body better than ever now. My doctor had said I had the DHEA levels of a 70 year-old woman! No wonder I was having so many problems. I meditate a lot and while I do exercise, I don't do anything crazy strenuous. Lots of walking and stuff like that. Definitely talk to your doctor and feel free to PM me whenever! :-)