Weight Loss/Fat burning for hypothyroidism? Help me. :(

Options

Replies

• CharleneExtreme
    Options
    I don't know if you have herd of it but maybe you should try intermittent fasting. Just search it on you tube the hodge twins have a whole channel to it they have good advice. I have been doing it and have noticed fat loss all over my body.
    Funny you mention it but i actually follow LeanGains with the 14 hour recommended fasting window. Its convenient for me but only because i can't do the multiple small meals thing!

I have hypothyroidism and the only way I lost weight, was to basically eat under, or very close to, 1200 calories.

I also worked out 5-7 times a week.

Hypothyroidism really is a *****. I'm so over it! I'm currently taking 100mcg of Synthroid per day and the side effects aren't fun.

1200 calories seems way too little and i've been advised against that since i lift. The same goes for working out more than 3 times a week. Its not recommended to do more than that if im lifting! What side affects have you noticed? I haven't noticed any. I'm sleeping a lot more than i should but anything could have caused that!

Cardio is a scary word for me. I heard that unless its HiIT it doesn't exactly promote muscle growth!

I'm off to see my doctor monday and i plan on being there for hours getting myself sorted!!!

Seriously, well done to all of you who have lost weight with hypo. Its near impossible!!
  • sds76
    sds76 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I have hypo as well. It took over a year of changing dosages to get my levels right. Now I get checked every 6 months(or more if I feel the need). Since getting my levels right and joining MFP(a little over 3months now) I have had no problem losing weight. I eat 1200 cals a day sometimes a little more but most days not. This is approved by my dr and endo. I also exercise daily(a little less right now due to a broken toe a very painful knee, but still going strong). Eating less, moving more, and making sure your dosage is right are they key factors.

short answer: have doc check levels over and over. A normal level may not be normal for you especially if it's on the low end of normal. Some can be right in the normal level, others need to be closer to the middle and others still need to be on the high end of normal.

disclaimer: I am not saying all hypos should eat 1200 calories. I am not saying I will eat 1200 calories forever(even though I eat till fully satisfied and think I probably could forever). This is just what is working for me right now.
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options
    YES. It's a lot to explain so I won't go into crazy detail, but even though I am on 150 mcg of Synthroid and my TSH is around .6 - 1.0, I was still cold, tired all the time, nervous/anxious and woke up a lot when I was sleeping. I also craved salt and sweet foods. I went on a compounded DHEA prescription as well as compounded cortisol and that's when I started losing a bit of weight when I changed my eating habits. Then I had to go off both prescriptions because I was trying to conceive and it only took about two weeks. My DHEA was still on the low end the last time it was checked, and you need to do the SALIVA cortisol test where you give four samples at specific times then mail it in to the lab. I had normal morning and mid-morning, then I tanked after lunch which is when I hit my "wall" every day.

Fast forward to pregnancy.... first trimester I was tired and nauseated so of course it was hard to tell if I was having issues. However, I started craving salt again like madwoman and also had a stressful situation at work. Pregnancy sleep in the beginning was good for me, but then I started waking up again. I'm talking wide awake at 2:30 AM and can't go back to sleep for a couple hours. So, I talked to my doctor and started taking AdrenaSense, just one in the morning. I also take a Metagenics adrenal support vitamin and a ton of vitamin C. I don't drink caffeine anymore either because of the pregnancy. About a week after I started this, I felt great again and no more sleep problems. The salt cravings disappeared almost immediately.

I feel like I know my body better than ever now. My doctor had said I had the DHEA levels of a 70 year-old woman! No wonder I was having so many problems. I meditate a lot and while I do exercise, I don't do anything crazy strenuous. Lots of walking and stuff like that. Definitely talk to your doctor and feel free to PM me whenever! :-)

I will DEFINITELY get my adrenals checked. A lot of the things you just described sound just like me! Especially the anxiety and sleep issues - thats if i can sleep!! I have days where i can't sleep until 11am the next day - then i'm out cold until somebody wakes me up. Its really embarrassing when people call to the door... :-/ Did you get the results from your adrenals straight away?
  • TLCEsq
    TLCEsq Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I will DEFINITELY get my adrenals checked. A lot of the things you just described sound just like me! Especially the anxiety and sleep issues - thats if i can sleep!! I have days where i can't sleep until 11am the next day - then i'm out cold until somebody wakes me up. Its really embarrassing when people call to the door... :-/ Did you get the results from your adrenals straight away?

It took about two weeks for the cortisol that was mailed to the lab, and about one week for the DHEA that was done through a standard blood draw. I also have an AWESOME doctor, and she's the reason why my life is getting back on track now! My endocrinologist would never test my adrenals, and my rheumatologist (I have lupus) told me that I wouldn't lose weight on cortisol supplements. Um, hello, my cortisol was too LOW. I also had water retention problems really bad, where my clothes would fit in the morning and then be so tight by the time I went home from work. My scale weight would jump almost 20 pounds some days, just from water retention alone. Thank goodness I don't have that problem anymore!
  • Dlacenere
    Dlacenere Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimotos and have had it since I was a kid. The biggest change for me was about 2 years ago when my doctor switched me from levoxyl to armour thyroid. Make sure you don't just get TSH bloodwork, make sure they do T3 free, T4 free, antibodies etc... Also have them check your B12, when you are hypo you are often deficient in B12 and D. Go to www.stopthethyroidmadness.com it's the best resource I have ever found. I am 5'6, 125 lbs and eat up to 1800 calories per day on excercise days. I have been able to eat much more calories since switching to a mostly clean diet (my diary is open) and I follow a 40% protein, 40% carb and 20% fat diet. Also go to a doctor that will check you for adrenal fatigue, I had it and it had to be taken care of before he switched me to armour and I am on a fairly decent dose. Before I switched to armour I was on 150mg of levoxyl. Hope this helps a little.
  • pcstephens
    Options
    Wow...I thought I was alone in this sea of thyroid disease...I too suffered with Grave's Disease...I had radioactive Iodine treatment and was great for 8 years...then I developed Hashimotos disease, now I take synthroid to regulate my thyroid. According to my doctor...my levels are perfect...except, I am struggling to lose weight, I have no energy. My adrenals are fine (according to the doctor) I have managed to lose 6 lbs so far,
    Please know that you are not alone in this struggle...
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options
    Hypothyroidism for the past 5 years here...

I've been able to lose over 10 pounds in the past 40 days through MFP calorie-counting and daily exercise. Yes, every single day. The more I move, the better I feel, and the more likely I am to stick to the plan.

But I will say, I am also very adamant about having my TSH levels checked frequently (every 6 months or more often if the symptoms come back) and keeping it below 3.0. Some old-school doctors will still insist the scale is .5-5. I can hardly get out of bed when I'm at a 5. The new scale for the past several years is .3-3 and you may need to educate your older Provider on this. Anyhow, I've found it fluctuates significantly for me and my meds have changed once or twice every year. Some medical providers will be reluctant to change your meds if you're "close enough", but I always insist they keep me exactly in range. After all, I'm the one who has to deal with the daily in/outs of the symptoms, it's just unfortunate that it creates extra work for them! But when it's not in range, the fatigue, the moods, and all the other symptoms rolled up together are just too much to be able to lose weight. I say test frequently and stay on top of it! I have never been successful at losing weight when my TSH numbers are off...

And best of luck to you: I hope you can find a good solution soon!
    10lbs in 40 days. With hypothyroidism... How, just HOW?!! Thats amazing. I'd exercise daily but it would jeapordize my recovery since i lift 2 days apart from each other. I'd be getting my TSH checked every week if i had my way!! Thanks for the info on the scale. I'll remember that for monday! I'm always stressed. I think hypothyroidism paired with social anxiety and body dysmorphia has sent my cortisol to record-breaking levels!! Thanks so much for this info!
  • crabbyab90
    crabbyab90 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism. I have been gaining and gaining and gaining until just recently. I try to eat 1500-1700 calories a day plus exercising. I eat mainly veggies and have cut out most grains and trying to cut out most junk food. Feel free to add me for support!
  • kats3boys
    Options
    I am hypo due to treatment for Grave's. Weight loss is slow.
    JMO..but it sounds like you are doing too much, and just that alone can stress the body and cause stress.
    Because Iron and B12 deficiency usually run with hypo have your doctor check those ( symptoms are usually tired all the time, exhausted, unable to exercise)
    For me because I still have the thyroid I do need to watch my iodine intake, the thyroid uses iodine to make thyroid hormone, too much processed foods can cause a temporary blocking defense, it can also cause inflammation and too much hormone being produced. Too little iodine and the thyroid does not have enough to function properly which also causes inflammation..And if you bounce back and forth between the two it causes havoc.
    What you need is consistency with attention to real foods and small changes to keep inflammation down.

Anytime I switch things up I usually gain, yet if I keep things slow and steady and the same I lose weight . Although it is the impatience of wanting everything now that gets you to keep going after the quick fixes.
  • HappyandToned
    HappyandToned Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism and the only way I lost weight, was to basically eat under, or very close to, 1200 calories.

Hypothyroidism really is a *****. I'm so over it! I'm currently taking 100mcg of Synthroid per day and the side effects aren't fun.
    1200 calories seems way too little and i've been advised against that since i lift. The same goes for working out more than 3 times a week. Its not recommended to do more than that if im lifting! What side affects have you noticed? I haven't noticed any. I'm sleeping a lot more than i should but anything could have caused that!

Cardio is a scary word for me. I heard that unless its HiIT it doesn't exactly promote muscle growth!

I'm off to see my doctor monday and i plan on being there for hours getting myself sorted!!!

Seriously, well done to all of you who have lost weight with hypo. Its near impossible!!

Side effects of eating under 1200 calories, or exactly 1200 calories and exercising 5-7 times a week? At the start I was kinda tired, but then my body got used to it. I'm tired whether I over exercise, or not. Apparantly I'm on the right dose of Synthroid, but then why do I feel like hell? At the moment I work out 4-5 times a week and eating between 1300-1500 calories per day and my weight isn't going down at all.
  • CharleneExtreme
    Options

Side effects of eating under 1200 calories, or exactly 1200 calories and exercising 5-7 times a week? At the start I was kinda tired, but then my body got used to it. I'm tired whether I over exercise, or not. Apparantly I'm on the right dose of Synthroid, but then why do I feel like hell? At the moment I work out 4-5 times a week and eating between 1300-1500 calories per day and my weight isn't going down at all.

Its total torture isn't it?! You never know how many calories to eat or what to do. What exercise are you doing? Maybe your body needs more fuel? I also get EXTREMELY tired. I could probably sleep for 24 hours straight given the opportunity (unless i actually want to sleep - then my body won't allow me to)! I wouldn't mind adding 30 day shred into my mornings, but most people who advise against too much cardio with strength training! I'm currently doing NROLFW and might take a 30 day break to do 30 Day Shred before moving onto the next stage.

I've noticed a lot of people say good things about Armour. It seems to be better than Levothyroxine anyway! Do they prescribe it to people with low TSH? I might mention it to my doctor!
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    Taking my medication as I should. Same time every day, full glass of water, empty stomach. Regularly getting blood work done. Oh yeah and HARD WORK AND PORTION CONTROL. Forget all of those stupid diet fads. Just because you're hypo, doesn't give you any excuses! If anything, you'll lose slower than people without. I've lost 18 lbs in almost 80 days, just by logging my calories.
  • AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    It is not impossible. Seriously, stop making excuses. I'm proof it's possible, and my diary isn't perfect and I rarely work out.
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    i used to be low hypo.....until i lost a bit of weight and strangely enough my doc told me i could stop taking the pills.!!!! my levels came back to normal ( 1.9 )

anyways, what worked for me was.. eating lots of protein and vegetables and fruits ...BUT cutting out bread and other wheat products...even gluten free grains can slow down my progress..

and eating clean. minimally processed food. i went through a lot of chicken, beef, turkey, salads, roasted veggies and no potatoes or high Glycemic Index fruits.

well that and walking, thats what got me to losing 16 lbs. Ive been taking a break and maintaining right now until i get my mojo back and lose 16 more lbs...but thats it....its working.
  • brittamh
    brittamh Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have hypothyroid also. I was diagnosed in February and I have to say I was relieved when I found out why I felt the way I did. Since starting medication it has not been such a struggle to lose or at least not gain weight. Are you on medication? If so have you have regular blood tests to make sure it is at the right level?
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I too have hypothyroidism...If you're taking medication to counteract the under active thyroid and it's at a therapeutic level, it shouldn't make any difference. We tend to use this "disorder" as a crutch when in fact, our meds "fix" the problem if we're taking them and having our blood-work done regularly to be sure our meds are on track. If you're not getting your blood-work done regularly, then I have to ask why not? Is your thyroid medication at a therapeutic level? If not, get with your doctor to adjust it.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    The first and foremost rule is to stay on top of your testing and make sure you are taking the meds as directed.

Secondly, stop messing around with fad diets! Get some real nutrition, and make sure you eat enough... I recommend setting your weight loss goals to 1/2 lb per week. It's slow, but that's the reality for most of us. If you set your calories too low or mess around with these silly cabbage soup shenanigans, you're going to mess up your metabolism even worse. You need to eat real food when you are hungry.

Third, get some exercise. I'm glad to hear you are doing NROLFW. That should be good for you. Building muscle in general seems to be helpful for me. I don't lose much weight, but my body feels better and looks a hell of a lot better when I do that.

I did eventually lose some weight... I think the keys for me were to get regular sleep, only eat when I'm hungry (but not when I'm tired) and to get off some extra medications that I didn't need anymore (with doctor's consent, of course).

I lost about 18 lbs over the course of a year. It didn't happen consistently, and it took some time, but you should know it is possible.

Also, keep in mind that eating right and exercising is good for you, regardless of if you lose weight or not.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    PS. if you haven't done so yet... get yourself to a library and read up on it. Mary Shomon is a great author on the subject. She is a patient herself. Of course, don't read her books like a bible... read some others too just so you can compare and contrast the info and decide for yourself.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I'm hypo as well. I stay consistent on my taking my meds, I have my levels checked (for me, every 6 months or once a year at the longest), and stay aware of symptoms that indicate my levels are off (tired, weight gain, TOM issues). I take B12, iron, and vitamin D per doctor's orders since I am deficient in those often.

As long as my levels are good, I'm able to lose weight with diet and exercise at the slow & steady pace. I eat 1800-2000 calories a day.

Sounds like you really need to see your doctor about your levels. You could also check into switching to Armour. Some people do better on that versus Synthoid.
  • Jewelslively
    Options
    Can you tell me how you found out it was not hypothyroidism? My Doc diagnosed me last year. Put me on the meds but I had really bad side effects so I stopped taking it. My doctor swears they were not from the meds but within a week of stopping the meds my knees didnt hurt, my ankles didnt feel like they were giving out while walking down stairs, and my hair softened (literally would break if i touched it). I researched different things that would interfer with idodine absorbtion and am trying to avoid them as much as possible. Any information would be appriciated.

Side note: My t3 level was 4.6, which 4.5 is still considered normal.