Weight lifting Advice - blacking out while lifting

Options
2»

Replies

• zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    It happens, I get a little light headed while doing squats, why after each set i grab the bar and hold on for a bit until I know I am good.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    Options
    All the comments about eating enough or not eating a low cal diet and strength training are silly. A lot of people lift in a fasted state and are fine. I lift in a fasted state and am eating 10% below TDEE on lifting days and 20% on non-lifting days and am fine. I'll admit that when I really push the set I'll get winded especially squats, DL's and OHP's but when I'm done I'll stand there (kneel for DL) and take a second to compose myself before I move, never passed out. It really comes down to learning how to breathe.

Fasted is different than eating enough. Just because you don't have food sitting in your gut at the time of exercises doesn't mean you don't glycogen stores in your muscles, your blood sugar isn't balanced, and your doesn't have energy from your previous meals.

Then the reference should be to an unsafe calorie deficit diet not a calorie deficit because those are two different things.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    The first time i had a session with a trainer i went in without eating and he had me doing all this heavy weightlifting exercises i started to get dizzy and nauseous so i went into the locker room and passed out next to the urinal.
    O_O
    dang !
    i think the problem is people don't know that you have to exhale inhale when you lift. Every rep you inhale exhale. If you hold your breath when your body is doing extrenous activity then that can't be good.

I would disagree with that. Common instruction is to hold your breath during reps. This is for exercises that require strong core support, like deadlifts and squats. Other stuff it doesn't really matter, you can do the exhale/inhale thing.
  • timmymon
    timmymon Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Eat, drink, sleep, breathe (not necessarily in that order)
  • stormsusmc
    stormsusmc Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Hydrate hydrate hydrate...oxygen is key as well...if youre light headed after a heavy rep slow deep breath will help....

dead lift fail video...looks like dude **** himself
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've had it happen... I would get nauseous during lifting or feel really weak.

Key is to eat enough and have a little something before you lift so you are not totally running on empty.
  • Ms_Chai
    Ms_Chai Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the advice! At least I know it is somewhat normal and preventable now. The next time I try I will hydrate, eat a better breakfast, and focus more on breathing at the proper times.