Vegetarian Pasta-Free Lasagne - 166 calories *pics*

Options
mrskatie80
mrskatie80 Posts: 133 Member
I am a lasagne freak. I LOVE it.
But HATE dealing with the total overload of calories for what seems like such a small portion. NOT ANY MORE!!!
This totally guilt free version has NO meat, NO pasta and uses low fat cottage cheese.
Seriously, you can't go wrong.

Recipe and nutritional info below.

PS: I *just* had this for breakfast as couldn't wait for tonight!

DE4E4A04-5B9E-4E33-B129-51B9975130AC-22517-0000140F76ECEA7B_zps11b67d47.jpg

F6A58A84-7FF5-403F-AF42-AB3AF1A4246E-22517-0000140F7A4B37A4_zps6297ac11.jpg

F4B3AAD9-0504-425F-843E-079EF4A1401F-22517-0000140F707AB74B_zps2d0453c8.jpg

Vegetarian Pasta-free Lasagne

Whole large eggplant (425g)
Field mushrooms (235g)
Raguletto Classic bolognaise sauce (500g jar)
1 tsp raw sugar
Mixed herbs
Brown onion (125g)
2 x zucchinis
500g low fat creamed cottage cheese
1 egg
2 cups baby spinach
100g grated cheddar/mozarella blend

Finely dice eggplant, mushrooms and onion and dry fry in a large saucepan until browned off.
Add bolognaise sauce, herbs, sugar and combine. Take off heat and sit off to one side.

For cheese sauce purée cottage cheese with the egg and sit to one side.

Thinly slice zucchini into strips. Lay out in a single layer on a baking sheet and salt lightly. Grill both sides until cooked and slightly dehydrated (to remove as much moisture as possible)

Lay a thin layer of the eggplant mix in the bottom of a 20cm x 30cm baking dish. Top with a layer of zucchini strips, followed by a layer of cheese sauce and then a single layer of spinach. Repeat until all ingredients are used up. Finish with the grated cheese and then bake at 175 degrees for 35- 45 minutes or until crispy and golden on top. Let rest for 30 minutes before cutting and serving.

Serves 8.

166 calories per serve

15g carbs
6g fat
15g protein.

Replies

• mrskatie80
    Options
    don't know why it cut my photos in half - but you get the idea right? ;)
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    that's just the stupid forums.

That's a good recipe. I've used the same one and included kangaroo mince also for mega protein & still low fat.
  • FauxAngel13
    FauxAngel13 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    this looks really great!!! I'm gluten intolerant so this will make a great recipe for me!!!
  • mrskatie80
    Options
    Haven't seen kanga mince, but I obviously haven't been looking very hard to be honest!

Minced our own with the car a few weeks back....but hardly something that would translate well into a recipe ;)
  • fancyacuppa
    fancyacuppa Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Looks scrummy - thanks for posting!
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    yummy yummy
  • BelindaDuvessa
    BelindaDuvessa Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Haven't seen kanga mince, but I obviously haven't been looking very hard to be honest!

Minced our own with the car a few weeks back....but hardly something that would translate well into a recipe ;)

Poor kanga....

This recipe looks interesting....I've never actually eaten eggplant before, though. I might give it a try. I doubt my husband will eat it but oh well. The kids probably will, if no one else does.
  • schpanks
    schpanks Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Looks awesome!
  • sarahsim48
    sarahsim48 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    YUM!! Will make this on Saturday!
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Poor kanga....

This recipe looks interesting....I've never actually eaten eggplant before, though. I might give it a try. I doubt my husband will eat it but oh well. The kids probably will, if no one else does.

He won't even know it's in there :smile:
  • kendrafallon
    kendrafallon Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    Looks fab!! What do you use to slice the courgettes (zucchinis) lengthways?

Edit: Not sure if any of you have seen the posts about Hairy Dieters but another alternative to pasta/lasagne sheets is leeks, which they used the first episode of their show
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    hmm
    wonder if i made this and didn't tell hubby about the "lasagna " he might try it??
    we're looking ofr some low carb meals for a friend.
  • ksmiley412
    ksmiley412 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    that's just the stupid forums.

That's a good recipe. I've used the same one and included kangaroo mince also for mega protein & still low fat.

How would you describe what kangaroo taste like?
  • briyowes
    briyowes Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Will have to give this a try!
  • aprilwilliams2729
    aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    We had Veggie Lasagna last night too - used zucchini strips like that to cut down on the amout of pasta we used (2 layers of pasta and 2 layers of zucchini). Still used part-skim ricotta, part-skim mozzarella, and a bit of parmesan. It came in at 269 calories for a HUGE slice (like 1/8 of a 13X10 pan!). I LOVE Lasagna!!!

Edited for spelling. :)
  • karenruddell1974
    karenruddell1974 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I am going to make this on Saturday. Thanks so much for this great idea.
  • rmarie1017
    rmarie1017 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This looks delicious! Bump!
  • ksmiley412
    ksmiley412 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I am a lasagne freak. I LOVE it.
    But HATE dealing with the total overload of calories for what seems like such a small portion. NOT ANY MORE!!!
    This totally guilt free version has NO meat, NO pasta and uses low fat cottage cheese.
    Seriously, you can't go wrong.

Recipe and nutritional info below.

PS: I *just* had this for breakfast as couldn't wait for tonight!

DE4E4A04-5B9E-4E33-B129-51B9975130AC-22517-0000140F76EICEA7B_zps11b67d47.jpg

F6A58A84-7FF5-403F-AF42-AB3AF1A4246E-22517-0000140F7A4B37A4_zps6297ac11.jpg

F4B3AAD9-0504-425F-843E-079EF4A1401F-22517-0000140F707AB74B_zps2d0453c8.jpg

Vegetarian Pasta-free Lasagne

Whole large eggplant (425g)
    Field mushrooms (235g)
    Raguletto Classic bolognaise sauce (500g jar)
    1 tsp raw sugar
    Mixed herbs
    Brown onion (125g)
    2 x zucchinis
    500g low fat creamed cottage cheese
    1 egg
    2 cups baby spinach
    100g grated cheddar/mozarella blend

Finely dice eggplant, mushrooms and onion and dry fry in a large saucepan until browned off.
    Add bolognaise sauce, herbs, sugar and combine. Take off heat and sit off to one side.

For cheese sauce purée cottage cheese with the egg and sit to one side.

Thinly slice zucchini into strips. Lay out in a single layer on a baking sheet and salt lightly. Grill both sides until cooked and slightly dehydrated (to remove as much moisture as possible)

Lay a thin layer of the eggplant mix in the bottom of a 20cm x 30cm baking dish. Top with a layer of zucchini strips, followed by a layer of cheese sauce and then a single layer of spinach. Repeat until all ingredients are used up. Finish with the grated cheese and then bake at 175 degrees for 35- 45 minutes or until crispy and golden on top. Let rest for 30 minutes before cutting and serving.

Serves 8.

166 calories per serve

15g carbs
    6g fat
    15g protein.

It looks fantastic thanks for the recipe!
  • RBXChas
    RBXChas Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    It looks awesome! Thanks for sharing!

However, a word of warning:

I believe bolognese sauce generally contains meat. Perhaps that Ragu version does not, but in my part-Italian mind (and Google confirmed), meat (beef or pork) is what makes the difference between marinara and bolognese.

So if that sauce contains meat, it would not be vegetarian.

However, it would be easy to substitute regular marinara (tomato sauce) for bolognese :happy: