Replies

• lniffa
    lniffa Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • TubbsMcGee
    TubbsMcGee Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Either zucchini or eggplant in place of the noodles. I find it tastes creamier
    Plantains are also a super yummy replacement!
  • fishpizza
    Options
    There are a lot of recipes floating around with courgettes (zucchini) instead of pasta!

Like this one:

http://www.food.com/recipe/no-pasta-lasagna-155758
  • alikat517
    alikat517 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I usually make a lasagna-like dish with spaghetti squash. I take the squash, cut it in half and roast it in the oven (at 360F for ~30-40 min) with olive oil and garlic until its golden and tender. Then use a fork to remove from the shell and place it in a 9x13 top with cheese mixture then sauce then additional cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 min.

Last week I wanted to try something different so I bought eggplant for the first time. I went to skinnytaste.com to get some eggplant recipe ideas. I used her eggplant parm recipe and it was great! I thinly sliced it and dabbed with paper towels to remove excess moisture and roasted it in the oven with olive oil until golden brown and just a bit crispy- this helps avoid the mushy/watery texture that it can lend to foods. Anyway, I just layered it with cheese and sauce and baked for about 40 minutes and my husband loved it!
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    Eggplant works too.
  • randomgyrl
    randomgyrl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I made lasagna the other night using zuchinni and spinach in place of the pasta. I was awesome! Even my hubby liked it.
  • chicky26
    chicky26 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Zuchinni??? Egg plant???

AHHHHHHHHHHH corgette and aubergine . . . . . . . . I LOVE these :D
  • moseler
    moseler Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I use eggplant or sometimes zucchini strips... slice the squash thin and layer it like noodles... I sometimes like to season the strips with a little salt and pepper then layer the cheese, sauce and meat ingredients... YUM!
  • janiegross
    janiegross Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks,.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've seen both eggplant and zuchini used. Also cottage cheese in place of ricotta but ricotta isn't that high in fat.

It was someone putting cottage cheese in lasagna that made me think I hated lasagna, back when I was a kid. I later had a taste of real lasagna and realized that whoever that was had effed it up! :laugh: :laugh:
  • fitsin10
    Options
    I love lasagna but aren't the calories really high even without the noodles?
  • fitsin10
    Options
    and what kind of cheeses do you guys use on it?