Christmas / Thanksgiving are coming....

Options
What are you going to do to not fall completely off the wagon but not seem like a 'miserable dieter' at the same time?
Im planning on:
Not buying such huge joints of meat (who really needs to eat leftovers for a week anyway)
Only having one sweet treat a day after dinner (because we all know its a month long food fest, not just 2 days!)
Definitely wont be sitting in front of the tv with a tin of Celebrations or Roses in my lap like last year.
Buying the kids sweet treats for their stockings on Christmas Eve so I dont get a chance to 'eat and replace'
Keeping up with the workouts and generally not beating myself up if I do cheat a little... it is Christmas afterall, who wants a sad mummy?

Im hoping to reach my goal by Christmas, it will be the best present I could ever treat myself (and my husband) to!!

Replies

• Michellereducf
    Michellereducf Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I plan on reaching my goal weight by Christmas. Not going to deny myself a yummy Thanksgiving dinner, but will eat leftovers in moderation. Not gonna lie, I love my turkey sandwiches.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    In the UK so no Thanksgiving but Christmas I am viewing as one day, it doesn't need to be 2 weeks of gluttony.

We always have smoked salmon and scrambled eggs for breakfast so I will still have that without the english muffins and use more egg white than whole eggs.

Christmas dinner itself is pretty healthy anyway, lots of veggies. I'm the only person that likes Christmas pud anyway so I just won't get one this year and will do baked apple stuffed with mincemeat instead.

I am going to get a miniature of Baileys so I can have one and enjoy it and a mini box of After Eights with 5 in as I love those.

I shall be going to my boyfriend's Boxing Day and he doesn't like 'Christmas food' like mince pies etc so Boxing day it will be back to normal for me.
  • MommaKit79
    Options
    What are you going to do to not fall completely off the wagon but not seem like a 'miserable dieter' at the same time?
    Im planning on:
    Not buying such huge joints of meat (who really needs to eat leftovers for a week anyway)
    Only having one sweet treat a day after dinner (because we all know its a month long food fest, not just 2 days!)
    Definitely wont be sitting in front of the tv with a tin of Celebrations or Roses in my lap like last year.
    Buying the kids sweet treats for their stockings on Christmas Eve so I dont get a chance to 'eat and replace'
    Keeping up with the workouts and generally not beating myself up if I do cheat a little... it is Christmas afterall, who wants a sad mummy?

Im hoping to reach my goal by Christmas, it will be the best present I could ever treat myself (and my husband) to!!

I also plan on reaching my goal by Christmas too but, as long as I dont go backward, I'll be good. My workout schedule takes me til the 10th of Dec so, HOPEFULLY I can keep SOMETHING going after that to get me thru the Holidays! I plan on eating dinner but, i will just cut back...WAAAAYYYYY back from what I usually do. AND, I am going to get myself Sugar Free Ice Cream for dessert and stay away from the pies! :) NOW...for the cookies I bake...I'll TRY my best to take into account what else I am eating so I can still enjoy some of them...LOL!!!! GOOD LUCK to us all!!!!!! :-)
  • dalgirly
    dalgirly Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Well, I am working on Thanksgiving, which means I won't be having a Thanksgiving dinner, so that's no issue.

And for Christmas, I am just going to enjoy. I love my Christmas dinner SO much, there is NO way I am not eating it! It may be one of the most unhealthy things on the planet, but it is so delicious and I only eat it once a year! So I enjoy!!
  • Tank_Girl
    Tank_Girl Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Im going to eat in moderation on christmas day... And avoid getting drunk which is hard around the inlaws.... To make it worthwhile im going to bring 3 or 4 bottles of the most divine cola money can buy (fentimans botanical cola) and i will sneak off late evening when everyones drunk and go out with the dogs for a shine if its not too icey
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I plan on eating whatever my heart desires on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Christmas Eve.

There is no way that those days will make a difference in the long run. I would just rather enjoy the food and spending time with my family on the holidays rather than worry about calories.
  • recriger
    recriger Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I have no idea about Christmas, but for Thanksgiving some friends and I are going for a run. Cincinnati has a tradition of doing a 10K on Thanksgiving morning. They call it the Turkey Trot. Aparently more than 7,000 people ran last year. This year is the 103rd year for the run. I figure that since I burn around 600 calories on my twice weekly 3 miler (HRM), the 10K (6.2 miles) should cover all the turkey!!!
  • Ruthe8
    Ruthe8 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I'll probably be staying off the forums more because I get so freaking sick of all the threads like this. It's ridiculous to think you're going to ruin your diet in one or two days. Get over it and enjoy the damn holiday.
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I plan on eating whatever my heart desires on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and Christmas Eve.

There is no way that those days will make a difference in the long run. I would just rather enjoy the food and spending time with my family on the holidays rather than worry about calories.

I was thinking the same thing.
  • mcpjan
    mcpjan Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I plan on eating anything I want but in a smaller portion. I don't deny myself anything but have to exercise what I eat extra off.
  • Austin1988
    Austin1988 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'll probably be staying off the forums more because I get so freaking sick of all the threads like this. It's ridiculous to think you're going to ruin your diet in one or two days. Get over it and enjoy the damn holiday.

Looks like the grinch came early
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Halloween is coming first. One step at a time lovelies! To answer your question...these events last 1 day. Eat, enjoy it, move on...try to be active the morning of and day after....don't completely prioritize the food, enjoy the time spent with your family!
  • cpaman87
    cpaman87 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have made this a lifetime commitment so I am not worried about food filled holidays. I look at all the work that I have done to get here. When I see foods that I shouldn't indulge in, just the thought of undoing my hard work is enough to keep me on track.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Thanksgiving is my favorite day of the year. I spend all day cooking and drinking. There will be tons of booze consumed and tons of butter melted in my kitchen. Pies, turkey, cornbread stuffing, mashed potatoes with cream cheese and heavy cream, beer, wine, whisky, whiskey, and probably a bunch of other stuff. Thursday is a regular running day for me so I'll do that in the morning but other than that Imma get my drink on and my eat on all day long.

Christmas is pretty similar but usually roast beast instead of turkey. Lots of good food and good drink with family.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options

This^^

I'm not a huge binge eater anyway so for me I'll probably just try to be mindful of what's going on the plate and let the calories fall where they may. Normally I eat lightly in the morning if I know there will be a big dinner. I have always done this, even at my heaviest so there will be no changes here.

I am planning on cooking a HUGE turkey if I can find a nice one! It's great protein and freezes very well. Turkey soup, turkey sandwiches, homemade pot pies, fajitas, enchiladas.. tons of ways to use it.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options

Well do pardon me for posting a simple question. If you get 'so freaking sick of all the threads like this' why not ignore them instead of being so hostile answering them?
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I will make choices when the day arrives. Weight loss dosen't have to be a chore. if i over eat i will exercise it off. asking for a new work out dvd seems like a good xmas day plan. Plus xbox kinect games that get you moving but all the family can join in too. Burn the extra calories and have fun at the same time. I will be staying away from alcohol tho as i am not a big drinker anyways. I sure don't enjoy it enough to watch the calories clocking up.
  • Amberonamission
    Amberonamission Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I've been working on making the healthiest possible versions of my Thanksgiving and Christmas treats. My Magic Gravy has been a hit with the family.

The only splurge I will make is my Sausage and sage stuffing. But, the plan is to double the veg half the bread.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,249 Member
    Options
    I didn't gain all my weight due to those days originally. I gained because I ate too many calories day in and day out.

As such, I am not going to freak out about it. I will make my normal foods and eat them. I might take more vegetables then stuffing this year, but it just depends what I feel like. The only change I see is making sure my portions are more in line but that is so I don't feel like crap afterwards.

Especially since I won't be home for a couple of weeks around Christmas which will make it a lot harder. I may actually just allow myself maintenance during that whole time period so I am not worrying about stuff as much and then go back to loss when I get home.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I'm going to enjoy those days, and not think twice about what I put into my mouth. It is one day out of a year. And for me personally there is so much I can't eat (gluten, dairy, eggs, meat) that the things I can eat are pretty limited. I will eat what I can, and I won't think twice or feel guilty about it.